A new pilot in the family

Old November 25th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default A new pilot in the family

Woo hoo! Our 17-year-old son, Joe, passed his Private checkride
today, on a picture-perfect fall afternoon!

He flew the rental Cezzna 150 down to Burlington, IA to meet up with
his Designated Examiner, an old P-38 Lightning pilot named Tommy
Tomkins. He's the same guy that gave Mary her checkride nine years
ago -- and she said he was old THEN! He's well North of 80, but still
pretty spritely, according to Joe.

The ride took 1.4 hours, and contained no surprises. Joe was well
prepared, with a bit over 45 hours of "real" flight training time --
and about a thousand hours of "prep" time with us! I'm hoping to be
his first passenger tomorrow. Then we'll have to see about getting him
checked out in Atlas...

One down, one to go. Our 14 year old daughter has a couple of years
to go before she can get started....

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 25th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Congratulations to Joe, you, and Mary for a job well done.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old November 25th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:46:18 -0800 (PST), Jay Honeck
wrote:

Woo hoo! Our 17-year-old son, Joe, passed his Private checkride
today, on a picture-perfect fall afternoon!

Awesome!
Old November 25th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Nov 24, 7:46 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
Woo hoo! Our 17-year-old son, Joe, passed his Private checkride
today, on a picture-perfect fall afternoon!

Fabulous! Three pilots in the family. Will you give Joe equal PIC
time on Atlas? ;-)

Hai Longworth
Old November 25th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Congratulations to Joe, you, and Mary for a job well done.

Thanks, Dudley!

Hey, everyone -- do me a favor and bombard Joe's email box with your
congratulations, just like you did after his solo flight. He's a
great kid, and he worked extremely hard to earn his ticket.

His email is

Thanks,
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 25th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Old November 25th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Fabulous! Three pilots in the family. Will you give Joe equal PIC
time on Atlas? ;-)

I don't think he can afford the hourly rental rate...

;-)

Seriously, he's gonna be hard-pressed to afford to stay current in the
FBO's Cezzna 150. Until he's out of college, and working a good job,
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having to hang it up for a year
or two.

But, hey -- he's got it in his wallet. THAT was the important part.

And he's still talking about possibly pursuing flying as a profession
-- so he may go on and get his IR and CFI.

Free BFRs!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 25th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Nov 24, 8:10 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
Congratulations to Joe, you, and Mary for a job well done.

Thanks, Dudley!

Hey, everyone -- do me a favor and bombard Joe's email box with your
congratulations, just like you did after his solo flight. He's a
great kid, and he worked extremely hard to earn his ticket.

His email is

Thanks,
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay

HIs email address was masked by google groups (see above), so I could
not make out what it was.

Old November 25th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:24:55 -0800 (PST), Jay Honeck wrote:

And he's still talking about possibly pursuing flying as a profession
-- so he may go on and get his IR and CFI.

Free BFRs!

They may be no-cost, but they'll NEVER be free: "C'mon, dad, how many times do I
have to tell you...." :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 25th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Woo hoo! Our 17-year-old son, Joe, passed his Private checkride

That's great! Way to go, Joe.

But, uh, Jay? You know what this means, don't you?

You're going to have to give up more yoke time.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Our First Family Flight Grumman 46U Piloting 18 March 10th 07 03:17 AM
PW-6 family fun ------ Charles Yeates Soaring 47 March 10th 06 05:38 PM
A36 for Family Trips Bob Owning 9 June 9th 05 04:06 AM
Flying and the New Family Marco Leon Piloting 33 December 24th 03 06:11 PM