Is this the death of GA

Old February 23rd 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Is this the death of GA

On Feb 23, 5:30 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

that was 74ish..?

Nah, much later for a Cherokee 140,. and that was at an FBO. remember,
gas was only a bit over 60 cents a gallon in 74. Even in 78 I remember
flying a Citabria for under 20 an hour and that has the same engine. I
was paying $14 an hour for a 172, club rates, in 1976. That was wet
BTW. I think Monthly dues were about the same. If you were in the NYC
area it was probably a few bucks more, but only a few.

Bertie

$20/hour in 76 would be $76/hour today. $14 = $53.

Any 172s here in Western Pennsylvania run around $90/hour at an FBO.

Based on this (albeit tiny) data, we can assume the costs of aviation
have exceeded net inflation.

I would expect the additional costs would be due to the faster-than-
inflation rise in the cost of insurance + and the cost of replacement
parts (most parts have insurance costs embedded in them as well).

An interesting study would be the liability insurance burden of the
cost of an airplane built in 1974 and one built in 2008.

But there has to be a cost reduction factor as well, due to increased
efficiency in all aspects of production.

Any economists or industry savvy CPAs care to chime in?

Dan

Old February 23rd 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Andy Hawkins wrote in
:

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:

Ooops 1969

That's the year I was born

So you're to blame for the rising cost!

Bertie
Old February 23rd 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 23, 2:56*pm, Longworth wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:32*pm, terry wrote:

what about feeding the kids every other day.... helps with the obestiy
epdiemic at the same time! :(

* *Terry,
* * When my kid was young, *we always worried about her being
underweight, not eating enough. *The pediatrician had to assure that
kids would eat whatever amount that they needed.
* * *Even if my kid had munched all day, there was no way that she
would get fat eating whole grain foods, fruits and vegetables. *The
empty calories in soft drinks and twinkies are the key ingredients of
obesity.
* * *Back to the topic of aviation cost, *I truly believe it that if
one is committed to flying, one would find a way to do it. *People
don't keep track of their small expenses but they do add up. *For
example, brewing your own coffee or heading to Dunkin Donut instead of
Starbuck can easily add up to at least one hour of flying a month.
Hai Longworth

I agree Hai, people always seam to not 'watch every penny' as much
when it comes to their hobbies. They/we always find ways to cut back
elsewhere. I bet even MX splurches on hit sim equipment such as a
compfortable chair, memories, high end graphics card, sound system,
high end monitors and joysticks...etc.

Wil
Old February 23rd 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

William Hung writes:

I bet even MX splurches on hit sim equipment such as a
compfortable chair, memories, high end graphics card, sound system,
high end monitors and joysticks...etc.

That is impossible without money.
Old February 23rd 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

" wrote in news:fffc515b-81e9-
:

On Feb 23, 5:30 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

that was 74ish..?

Nah, much later for a Cherokee 140,. and that was at an FBO.

remember,
gas was only a bit over 60 cents a gallon in 74. Even in 78 I

remember
flying a Citabria for under 20 an hour and that has the same engine.

was paying $14 an hour for a 172, club rates, in 1976. That was wet
BTW. I think Monthly dues were about the same. If you were in the NYC
area it was probably a few bucks more, but only a few.

Bertie

$20/hour in 76 would be $76/hour today. $14 = $53.

Any 172s here in Western Pennsylvania run around $90/hour at an FBO.

Based on this (albeit tiny) data, we can assume the costs of aviation
have exceeded net inflation.

Definitely.

I would expect the additional costs would be due to the faster-than-
inflation rise in the cost of insurance + and the cost of replacement
parts (most parts have insurance costs embedded in them as well).

An interesting study would be the liability insurance burden of the
cost of an airplane built in 1974 and one built in 2008.

But there has to be a cost reduction factor as well, due to increased
efficiency in all aspects of production.

Well, we're still flying the same airplanes for the most part!

I think theyre mor expensive to buy new as well..

Bertie
Old February 23rd 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

William Hung writes:

I bet even MX splurches on hit sim equipment such as a
compfortable chair, memories, high end graphics card, sound system,
high end monitors and joysticks...etc.

That is impossible without money.

Finally, something you know something about. Not having money.

Bertie
Old February 23rd 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Feb 24, 6:56*am, Longworth wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:32*pm, terry wrote:

[...]

I am sure you look after your kids just fine Hai, and so do I.
It was just my warped sense of humor at play. I know what you mean
about finding a way.
I fly about 40 to 50 hrs a year max which cost me just over $100 a
week. I have friends who think that is expensive but think nothing
of ****ing the same amount up against the wall after a night at the
bar.! Would be great if you could do both actually.
Terry

Terry
Old February 23rd 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"William Hung" wrote in message

I bet even MX splurches on hit sim equipment such as a
compfortable chair, memories, high end graphics card, sound system,
high end monitors and joysticks...etc.

MX cries poverty and begs for money, but he's probably on a first-name basis
with every McDonald's employee between his apartment and the school he
teaches at.

I'm sure even if he had all that junk he wouldn't admit it. It wouldn't fit
his image.

Old February 23rd 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"terry" wrote in message

I fly about 40 to 50 hrs a year max which cost me just over $100 a
week. I have friends who think that is expensive but think nothing
of ****ing the same amount up against the wall after a night at the
bar.! Would be great if you could do both actually.
Terry

You can, but the correct order of operations is very important g

(it also helps to have a brother who's a bartender)

Old February 23rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung

On Feb 23, 6:22*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
William Hung writes:
I bet even MX splurches on hit sim equipment such as a
compfortable chair, memories, high end graphics card, sound system,
high end monitors and joysticks...etc.

That is impossible without money.

Got to have the best to sim reallity. Anyways, you're a smart fella,
surely you have found ways to make money on the side. You must have
splurged once or twice, how else can you enjoy simming? You must have
found ways of making money to supplement your English teaching
income. I mean you are of above average intellect aren't you?

Wil

Death? Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 10 July 9th 06 12:31 AM
The death of the A-65? Michael Horowitz Home Built 35 November 23rd 05 12:08 AM
death of GA in NY [email protected] Piloting 51 September 16th 05 11:36 PM