Tiedown Stakes (Article in SportAv.)

Old April 22nd 04, 06:43 PM
jerry Wass

I used 7/16" rod, drilled out 1/2" nuts(to 7/16") & welded the h**l out of 'em--
actually got some 7/16" Spring steel from a spring mfg. co--nearly impossible to
bend!! for a Stinson 108.

Jim Weir wrote:

Sport Aviation (EAA Magazine), April issue, pages 110-112.

The article shows a system of metal rod-stakes and the 3-part chain with the
repair link in the middle. The article goes into some detail on how to make a
3-part chain with a repair link (pretty trivial to figure that out) but says
absolutely nothing about how the hex head (nut?) and locking nut get onto the
rod.

Now, my suspicion is that the top inch or so of the rod is threaded, a nut run
down to the bottom of the thread, a lockwasher, then another nut. That's my
SUSPICION. The article is silent on how this is done.

Anybody wanna confirm my suspicions. If so, tell me how the guy, by his own
admission with a minimal shop, can thread a 5/16 rod. That's a pretty hefty
(and rather unusual) die/thread size. ¼-20 is pretty common, but I'm not a good
enough machinist to say whether or not 5/16 is a garden variety tool.

It is also true that if you pound a lot on that hex nut at the top (if that is
what it is) there is no chance in hell that you will ever be able to separate
the nut from the rod without a torch. I mean, I think it is a great idea, and
I'd like nothing more than to get rid of those stupid corkscrews I've been using
for thirty years, but I'd like some of your comments on how we might make it
better.

Thoughts?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

Old April 22nd 04, 07:12 PM
Dan Truesdell

At OSH last year, I used 3/4" iron water pipe. I bought 4' sections
(threaded at each end) and sawed them in half at an angle (to make
ground penetration easier). Screwed a "T" connector on the end (for the
rope), and that was it. You need a hatchet or small ax to put it in
(carried anyway as part of my survival kit), but, when pounded in at an
angle, they do not come out. I probably spent a total of $15 on
everything. A bit heavy, but I don't use them much, so that's not a big
problem for me. You could probably use a smaller diameter, but I tend
to over-engineer things. (This was for a C172.)

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old April 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
Bob Fry

Or better. My wife got me a set of these

http://www.airtimemfg.com/

Or yet better. A friend used these at OSH, they were the best I'd
seen:

http://www.theclaw.com/products/claw.php
Old April 23rd 04, 03:21 AM
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:12:18 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

:
:Right. Just don't think that all corkscrews are created equal. The
:hardware store, or dog steaks, "will" twist off at OSH. They have to be
:spring steel.

Or better. My wife got me a set of these
http://www.airtimemfg.com/

Nice!!!
--
Jim in NC

---

Old April 23rd 04, 03:23 AM
Morgans

"nauga" wrote in message
ink.net...
Morgans wrote...

The hardware store, or dog steaks, "will" twist off at OSH.

Mmmmm...dog steaks.

Dave 'Homer' hyde

Chuckle! Gim'e a brake! It was late! g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old April 23rd 04, 04:00 AM
Rick Pellicciotti

wrote:

:
:Right. Just don't think that all corkscrews are created equal. The
:hardware store, or dog steaks, "will" twist off at OSH. They have to be
:spring steel.

Or better. My wife got me a set of these
http://www.airtimemfg.com/

Richard,
You have the second best wife on earth!

Rick Pellicciotti
http://www.belleaireaviation.com

Old April 23rd 04, 04:23 AM
alexy

"Morgans" wrote:

"nauga" wrote in message
link.net...
Morgans wrote...

The hardware store, or dog steaks, "will" twist off at OSH.

Mmmmm...dog steaks.

Dave 'Homer' hyde

Chuckle! Gim'e a brake!

So you can stop and not turn Fido into dog steaks? g
--
Alex
Old April 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
Dave S

I bought my CLAW at OSH 93... I love it. I have added nylon
strap/buckle/hooks for the tie downs instead of the rope and have been
very happy with it.

Dave

Old April 23rd 04, 07:26 AM
Richard Riley

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:00:30 -0500, Rick Pellicciotti
wrote:

:Richard,
:You have the second best wife on earth!

You don't know the half of it.

Earlier this month on my birthday, she woke me up and told me that
from July 27 to Aug 2 she's taking the baby to her annual girl's
retreat in Ramona. And handed me an airline ticket to Oshkosh.