Toasted my engine

Old September 20th 05, 03:43 PM
Kobra

Default Toasted my engine

Flyers,

This was part of a post in "Selling my Garmin 296" and decided to make it a
separate post. Sorry for the redundancy.

Kobra wrote:
...I toasted my engine about 3 weeks ago.

Urgh. Sorry to hear that. What happened?

I have a Cardinal RG with a IO-360A1B6 with 1000 hours on it. On one short
30 min. flight to Cape May, NJ (WWD) I noticed a small amount of oil running
down the nose gear door. I did a cursory look and found the oil level
unchanged and saw nothing through the oil access door. I wiped it off.

On the flight back all oil indicators were fine. When I landed the drip of
oil was back. No big oil loss, but when you fly the same airplane you know
what's suppose to be there and what's not. I called my mechanic and
co-owner and explained the problem. At first the mechanic was not
concerned.

My partner flew a few days later on a short flight and when he landed the
A&P came over to say hello. He then noticed the oil on the gear door. He
grounded the plane and the next day called me to the airport. He showed me
a pretty good leak coming through something called a "though-bolt" on the
number two cylinder. A though-bolt is a long bolt that goes completely
through the engine from one cylinder to the other and helps keep the case
enlighten and tight.

That wasn't the big problem though, he said I could fly with a minor leak at
the through-bolt to TBO. Next he did a dye penetrate test and found a crack
in the case in front of the number 4 jug at one of the studs for that
cylinder. That did it. The engine had to come off, the case split and a
new case was ordered.

The story goes on though. As he was taking the engine off he found one
other interesting item. One of the through-bolt nuts on the bottom of
cylinder number 3 was sheared off completely flush the cylinder base.
That's when the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I have to think that
all this was related as the nut was still laying in the bottom of the
engine. This was recent!

Next I had a recollection of starting the engine before my flight to WWD and
I remember that I heard a "snap!" just as the engine caught. It was loud
enough to make me say, "...what the %$#@ was that?!" and just soft enough
for me to dismiss it and ponder, "...did you really hear what you think you
heard?"

The rest is speculation, but maybe that was the nut snapping off and
something bad happened in the engine causing the leak at the through bolt on
number two cylinder. Maybe the engine was ready to self-destruct in the air
on the next flight. Who knows? But I hope to learn more when the engine is
broken down and inspected. I will keep you all posted if you are
interested.

Kobra

Old September 20th 05, 03:59 PM
Peter R.

Kobra wrote:

But I hope to learn more when the engine is
broken down and inspected. I will keep you all posted if you are
interested.

I am interested. Thanks for the story and my condolences.

--
Peter

Old September 20th 05, 04:20 PM
Marco Leon

Definitely warrants a separate post. With an 800 hour (SMOH) engine, this
news definitely has raised an eyebrow.

Any more stories of "early" overhauls that anyone care to share?

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 20th 05, 04:21 PM
George Patterson

Kobra wrote:

My partner flew a few days later on a short flight and when he landed the
A&P came over to say hello. He then noticed the oil on the gear door. He
grounded the plane and the next day called me to the airport.

Sounds like you have a pretty good A&P there.

George Patterson
Old September 20th 05, 04:30 PM
Jim Burns

I'd love to know what caused the through bolt to shear or snap.
Thanks for posting.
Jim

Old September 20th 05, 06:14 PM
RST Engineering

There aren't a lot of possibilities, are there?

1. The case crack set up a vibration or torque that overstressed the
bolt -- and since it happened on startup when things are running less than
smooth in a Lyc, I'd bet on this one.

2. The bolt was WWAAAYYY overtorqued on installation. You'll never know
about this one. However, a through bolt shearing and a case crack by
another through bolt leads me to check the calibration on somebody's torque
wrench.

3. Something else in the engine was vibrating ... not likely as the whole
AIRplane would have been vibrating to shear a through bolt.

4. Defective bolt ... not likely as throughbolts get magnafluxed or x-rayed
at overhaul.

5. (Add yours here)

Oh, and BTW, mechanics cannot ground airplanes. IAs cannot ground
airplanes. The FAA (unless they pull the airworthiness cert.) cannot ground
airplanes. I know it is a common phrase, but the mechanic simply suggested
that it would be less than wise to fly the airplane in its current
condition.

Jim

Old September 20th 05, 06:26 PM
nrp

It could be undertorqued too. In that case there would be a lot of
fretting under the base flange of the cylinder, and probably on the
main bearing webs too.

If it hasn't been disassembled yet, you might check the other
throughstuds to see what torque is required to very slightly further
tighten them - giving you an indication of how close to the spec the
previous assembler was.

Another possibility is the hardness of the thru studs I don't know
what the spec is (probably not published ) but maybe Rockwell C = 48 to
52 or so?

That engine wouldn't have gone much further at all. You were lucky.

Old September 20th 05, 06:42 PM
RST Engineering

"nrp" wrote in message
oups.com...

It could be undertorqued too. In that case there would be a lot of
fretting under the base flange of the cylinder, and probably on the
main bearing webs too.

Yes, but that wouldn't have sheared the bolt at the jug stud ring as the OP
said it did. You would get fretting at that location, but I don't see a
failure mode in shear.

If it hasn't been disassembled yet, you might check the other
throughstuds to see what torque is required to very slightly further
tighten them - giving you an indication of how close to the spec the
previous assembler was.

And how much torque it takes to loosen a couple of them.

Jim

Old September 20th 05, 06:48 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Kobra wrote:
The story goes on though. As he was taking the engine off he found one
other interesting item. One of the through-bolt nuts on the bottom of
cylinder number 3 was sheared off completely flush the cylinder base.
That's when the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I have to think that
all this was related as the nut was still laying in the bottom of the
engine. This was recent!

You definitely need to head off to the temple and sacrifice a virgin... you're
being well looked after. I congratulate you on your good luck, conscientious
A&P, and your good sense to be aware of such minor anomalies.

I've had the pleasure of a catastrophic engine failure in a single... and it
really ain't.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 20th 05, 06:54 PM
Denny

Oh, and BTW, mechanics cannot ground airplanes
Yup, true fact...

Though one local recently got into a ****ing match with his API over
some annual inspection issues on a well worn TriPacer (couple of 3
year olds in adult bodies)-
including the CAR 23 original equipment single mag switch that has only
two positions - off and on -
and the fabric passing the punch test though at the lowest allowable
reading, and the mechanic refused to sign it off..

The owner (an AP but not an I) demanded the mechanic turn the plane
back to him now, or else... The mechanic did, but he put an entry in
the log book that the airplane was unairworthy and called the FSDO and
faxed them a copy of the log entry... It took a ferry permit to get it
off the field...
So, the plane was shopped around to several API mechanics before he
found one that would touch it... 6 months later and it is still not
flying... The story I hear is that the FSDO inspector is demanding
documentation that they are having problems coming up with...

While an mechanic cannot "ground" an airplane he can do a fair
imitation if he is determined...

denny