Spaceship 2 project details released

Old January 25th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Spaceship 2 project details released

In AvWeb, there is a story about some of the things going on at Scaled
Composites, with some pictures of White Knight 2, and a link back to
Scaled's web site, with quite a few good pictures and stories about what has
been happening.

4 engines on the wing of White Knight. I did not see any specs on what the
engines are, though. Are they afterburning, or not? My guess is it looks
like they are fan engines, and they made up for not AB with lots of fan
thrust.

Interesting, with two crew pods. Are both pilots in one pod, or are they
separated?

Marc Z: Is this what you hinted for, with a "soon" comment a while back?
It is good to see some news, finally.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 25th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rpl

Morgans wrote:
In AvWeb, there is a story about some of the things going on at Scaled
Composites, with some pictures of White Knight 2, and a link back to
Scaled's web site, with quite a few good pictures and stories about what has
been happening.

4 engines on the wing of White Knight. I did not see any specs on what the
engines are, though. Are they afterburning, or not? My guess is it looks
like they are fan engines, and they made up for not AB with lots of fan
thrust.

Interesting, with two crew pods. Are both pilots in one pod, or are they
separated?

Marc Z: Is this what you hinted for, with a "soon" comment a while back?
It is good to see some news, finally.

engines are williams turbojets, iirc; i imagine both fuselages contain
pilot controls... their large size is so that passengers' family
members/friends can watch them take off into the wild blue(-black) yonder.

rpl
Old January 25th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
In AvWeb, there is a story about some of the things going on at Scaled Composites, with some pictures of White Knight
2, and a link back to Scaled's web site, with quite a few good pictures and stories about what has been happening.

4 engines on the wing of White Knight. I did not see any specs on what the engines are, though. Are they
afterburning, or not? My guess is it looks like they are fan engines, and they made up for not AB with lots of fan
thrust.

Interesting, with two crew pods. Are both pilots in one pod, or are they separated?

Marc Z: Is this what you hinted for, with a "soon" comment a while back? It is good to see some news, finally.
--
Jim in NC

So a simple commercial pilot certificate is required (pilot will need a type rating in the White Knight multi jet), and
no complicated 135 or 121 ops manuals, because the flights will be less than 25 miles horizontally? These are simple
sight seeing flights, but 63 miles 'up'.

Old January 26th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rpl

Marc J. Zeitlin wrote:
rpl wrote:
Morgans wrote:

4 engines on the wing of White Knight. I did not see any specs
on what the engines are, though. Are they afterburning, or not?

engines are williams turbojets, iirc;

There's nothing quite like speculation,

yes, thus the words "i imagine" and "if i remember correctly" (i didn't,
but they both start with a "W").

thankyou for the links, I had lost the ones I had after the announcement.

rpl
Old January 28th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote

There's nothing quite like speculation, when the facts are available
:-). From:

http://tinyurl.com/2jckuw

You can see that the engines are Pratt and Whitney 308 Turbofans.
These are not afterburning engines.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2008/2008-01-24_ss2.asp

Right fuselage has crew and pax - left fuselage is configurable (they
have it backwards on this web page, but the basics are correct).

Thanks, Marc - that's some good reading for sure! If you see any more good
articles, I'm sure everyone would like to see some more links.
--
Jim in NC

Spaceship One Question Jim Carriere Home Built 3 November 20th 05 11:17 PM
Spaceship One, going for two of two lance smith Piloting 30 October 15th 04 01:50 PM
Spaceship 1 Badwater Bill Home Built 8 July 6th 04 12:23 AM
spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
SpaceShip One Gene Seibel Piloting 32 June 18th 04 04:13 AM