When to acknowledge ATC

Old May 7th 05, 10:11 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"George Patterson" wrote in message
news:vaNee.26$Ws6.6@trndny07...

I rarely get an altimeter setting from a controller anyway. I make a point
of picking up the setting from AWOS stations in flight and from ATIS
before arrival or departure. As long as you tell the controller you have
the ATIS, about the only time they'll give you the setting is as a gentle
notice that you don't seem to be flying at the altitude at which you're
supposed to be.

Yup, if you choose not to talk to controllers you won't be getting altimeter
settings from them. But if you fly IFR or use flight following you'll get
an altimeter setting when you check in with a new controller.

Old May 7th 05, 10:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
news

Ask for the clearance. You're in violation without it. ATC should know
better.

Yeah, you're in violation of the letter of the law and ATC should know
better. But the controller you're talking to is pretty much the only person
that's in a position to file a violation, and controllers tend to dislike
paperwork. Pressing the issue doesn't seem worth the frequency clutter to
me.

Old May 7th 05, 10:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
. ..

As I said in a previous post, I'm from Canada.

You'd probably do well to make that distinction when you post.

Old May 7th 05, 11:33 PM
Happy Dog

"Steven P. McNicoll"
Ask for the clearance. You're in violation without it. ATC should know
better.

Yeah, you're in violation of the letter of the law and ATC should know
better. But the controller you're talking to is pretty much the only
person that's in a position to file a violation, and controllers tend to
dislike paperwork. Pressing the issue doesn't seem worth the frequency
clutter to me.

I'm not normally paranoid, but I always ask for a stated clearance even when
I'm sure the controller just forgot to say the words. I've asked for SVFR
before and the controller missed it even though it was obvious I wanted it.
The controller asked me to re-state the request. It was a very similar
situation to what we're talking about. Something like:

CXXX tower this is GXXX with information X

GXXX, CXXX tower, go ahead

GXXX is 7 nm NE, inbound landing, requesting SVFR please.

GXXX, visibility is 3 miles, SVFR is required

I understand and I've requested it.

please repeat the request.

CXXX tower, GXXX requests SVFR.

SVFR granted. Call left base for runway XX.

I think clearance procedures should be held to the highest standard.

moo

Old May 7th 05, 11:36 PM
Happy Dog

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in

As I said in a previous post, I'm from Canada.

You'd probably do well to make that distinction when you post.

Why? Is this an exclusively US NG? Is it assumed that people are posting
from the USA unless they make it known otherwise?

moo

Old May 7th 05, 11:58 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
. ..

Why?

For clarity.

Is this an exclusively US NG?

Nope.

Is it assumed that people are posting from the USA unless they make it
known otherwise?

Pretty much, yup. Especially when the quoted material in a message includes
US publications as yours did.

Old May 8th 05, 03:13 AM
George Patterson

Peter Duniho wrote:

Looking back over the past several posts in this sub-thread, it certainly
appears that there's a fair amount of mixed signals. Maybe someone
should've read back a post or two.

Agree. I overreacted.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 8th 05, 03:23 AM
George Patterson

Happy Dog wrote:

Tell us the procedure you use for VFR into NYC.

I stay under it for the most part. The one time I had to go through was when
they had that 1 mile TFR around the WTC site. I departed 3N6 to the north and
called Kennedy approach as soon as I passed 1,000'. They told me to stay clear
of the B and call Newark. I reached Newark approach over the Raritan bay and
they gave me a vector and altitude with a further report point. No altimeter
setting as I remember.

Going into or over other controlled fields like Trenton, Knoxville, Roanoke,
Raleigh, and Norfolk, I've never been given an altimeter setting when I told
them I had the ATIS information. I've been into each of the first four fields
quite a few times.

Old May 8th 05, 03:28 AM
George Patterson

Happy Dog wrote:

Do you only talk to towers? Possible. But tricky in some places. Anyway,
are you saying you almost always stay below Class Bravo?

Yes, the only time I talk with controllers is when I am entering the airspace of
a controlled field. When possible, I stay under or over class B airspace. I have
gone through Newark once and Orlando once, but generally I avoid the Bs one way
or another.

Old May 8th 05, 03:31 AM
Happy Dog

"George Patterson" wrote in
Do you only talk to towers? Possible. But tricky in some places.
Anyway, are you saying you almost always stay below Class Bravo?

Yes, the only time I talk with controllers is when I am entering the
airspace of a controlled field. When possible, I stay under or over class
B airspace. I have gone through Newark once and Orlando once, but
generally I avoid the Bs one way or another.

OK. Then, FYI, expect an altimeter setting whenever you contact approach,
departure, terminal or center. I guess I'm just used to almost always
talking to some facility when I'm travelling.

moo