Stewart Headwind

Old August 13th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead144

Default Stewart Headwind

Has anyone here either built or flown a Stewart Headwind? If so can
you provide some information about the build process and or how well
it flew and handled? For a 1960's design it really look's nice,
however I've never seen one or talked to anyone who's had experence
with one in my geographical area. Everyone I know in my area involved
in homebuilt airplanes is fixated on all metal airframes with very
expensive engines and props that they never fly due to the cost of
gas.

Regard's to all

Joe
Old August 15th 08, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

On Aug 13, 10:19 am, Copperhead144 wrote:
Has anyone here either built or flown a Stewart Headwind? If so can
you provide some information about the build process and or how well
it flew and handled? For a 1960's design it really look's nice,
however I've never seen one or talked to anyone who's had experence
with one in my geographical area. Everyone I know in my area involved
in homebuilt airplanes is fixated on all metal airframes with very
expensive engines and props that they never fly due to the cost of
gas.

Regard's to all

Joe

Just for the heck of it, I went on their website. I see they have one
for sale
at $10,000. What would it cost you to build?
Lou
Old August 19th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Phil

I have had some contact with the Stewart Headwind , like yourself I was
intrigued with the simple design , somewhat like the old Aeronca Bathtub C2
or C3 , anyway I bought a set of plans from Don Stewart and proceeded to
start building one , another fellow in my part of Ohio was interested and we
sort of collaborated , I built the fuselage and he was going to start on the
wings , I did complete the fuselage but the other fellow only started on the
wings , I finally gave up and let him have the fuse. , bottom line is that
the project never did get completed , several projects and years later I did
get interested in the Headwind again and went to see the original Prize
winning Headwind at Salem Airport , also spent most of the day at Don
Stewarts house and at the Airport , bought a set of the revised drawings and
a Stewart Maxamizer VW engine Kit , never did get the second plane started ,
as far as work goes the Headwind looks simple but the work required is
probably about the same as the Baby Ace or you name it , building a plane is
work and the Headwind is WORK , hope this was helpful , I think the bird
would be a good flyer , Good Luck
Phil L.