Would you install lights?

Old August 19th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default Landing lights (was: Ok, while we are on the subject.)

Lou schreef:

Ok, while we are on the subject. Would you also install landing
lights?
If so, what is recommended? Remember this is experimental so I'm
thinking
of rectangular headlight types for expense and ease of installation.

Still from a slow student pilot, not yet building:

Landing lights are a slightly different matter,
given their much higher power draw.
IMHO their prime value is in being seen rather than in seeing;
(I've known tower controllers to request them)
but for being seen strobes are a better option.
They use less power and they're visible all around.

So my newbie's idea would be to begin with flashing strobes,
and if you still want more prime time you might add
the landing lights - if you have sufficient electrical power.

One factor I can't estimate (not knowing under what flag you fly)
is legal requirements for certain types of flight
which you might wish to make sooner or later.
Or if you don't wish to, perhaps the next owner.

Again, this is only two (euro)cent's worth!
KA
Old August 19th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith

Default Ok, while we are on the subject.

In article
,
Lou wrote:

Ok, while we are on the subject. Would you also install landing
lights?
If so, what is recommended? Remember this is experimental so I'm
thinking
of rectangular headlight types for expense and ease of installation.
Lou

Why not get one of the new LED landing lights?
Money upfront, but you probably will never buy another to replace it.
Old August 19th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Lou" wrote in message
Would you also install landing lights?

To me, landing lights are a basic safety item, even though I seldom fly at
night. I have them turned on when I fly through heavy traffic areas, or in the
pattern, or when I see an oncoming plane that may not yet have seen me.

If you only fly out in the boonies, perhaps they are not so important.

Vaughn

Old August 19th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Uli

Lou wrote:

Ok, while we are on the subject. Would you also install landing
lights?

well, it depends...

do you install lights now or just prepare the airplane for a later
installation? installing lights without installing a landing light would be
like stopping after half of the way.

another aspekt is where would it be located? if in the nose of the wing,
you'd probably have to do some structural changes, and you should implement
those before getting the airplane flying. if at some place in the cowling,
then preparation for a later installation might not be necessary.

what's the purpose of the landing light? if you use airfields with low
intensity lighting, the landing light should enable you to see the runway a
few seconds before touchdown. if it's just to be seen: strobes are ok for
flying at night, but when flying at twilight, a good landing light is a
nice thing. here i prefer flashing landing lights (doing something like one
blink per second) -- you see them much better than steady ones! to enhance
the effect, put one in each wingtip and make them blink alternately.

not too many answers, but some aspects one might consider.

uli

Anyone install the EI FP5L? Doug Vetter Owning 3 March 1st 08 07:08 PM
Can't install FSX Blue Simulators 6 November 22nd 06 09:42 PM
Autopilot install. Jimmy B. Owning 19 July 19th 05 09:29 AM
KLN-94 Install Manual Mike Granby Owning 5 July 7th 05 11:33 AM
New Lycoming Install Evan Carew Home Built 2 October 9th 04 04:10 AM