Lumbar support ideas?

Old June 17th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

Default Lumbar support ideas?

On Jun 16, 10:51*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
All -

For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). *I'm beginning
to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
(DG-300). *Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... *Its
getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
33)!

So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
base of my spine. *I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
shape.

Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). *Tips or ideas would
be greatly appreciated!

--Noel

Like the other comments before, I had the parachute rigger install
memory foam betwen the chute and my back and is attached to the
harness. I also use the same under my butt and knees. Took a long time
to tweek but finally there. I too fly a DG300. PeterK
Old June 17th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

I assume you wear a parachute. The trick is to get some lumbar
support between the chute and you. It doesn't do much good between
the chute and the glider.

I've tried the support between my back and the chute in my 19 but now
use a small rolled towel between the chute and the seat back in my
28.

In my experience between the chute and the glider is very effective.
The best solution for me would be to make a fixed modification to the
seat back.

Andy

Old June 17th 11, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

I have an Irving (GQ) parachute and one of the optional extras with the
chute is an inflatable lumbar pad which fits onto velcro strips on the
parachute back. The beauty of the system is that you can fit the pad in
exactly the right place and it won't move or get dislodged. It is
inflated using the squeeze bulb used on blood pressure monitors. Works a
treat.
I had an injury many years back to the lumbar 4/5 joint which causes pain
to the sciatic nerve. I have discovered over the years that the worst
thing you can do is keep still. The only thing I won't do while the pain
is severe is fly.

Old June 18th 11, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

After a few hours, my lumbar would be killing me. I use a 1" memory
foam (firm) between back and parachute but needed something more
beneath the lumbar area.
Just before my 9 hr. flight to GA, I forgot to rig something and had
the wife shove my canopy cover into a small sack and place behind my
lumbar before clipping into my parachute.
At first it seemed a little overboard but as it compress within 30
mins of flying, I had the most comfortable flight ever and not a pain
in the 9 hrs. That was in 08 and cover still gets shoved there
everytime I fly and still works.
That said, experiment and allow for compression into the comfort zone.
One thing to consider.....what will happen in a accident I have no
clue and I could be risking additional injury. I just don't know. I
fly for hours with no pain, that I know.
Old June 18th 11, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
November Bravo

On Jun 16, 1:51*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

Having a U shaped spine will definitely give you more trouble. Try
this lumbar support:
http://www.amazon.com/LumbAir-Inflat...xp_grid_pt_1_1.
Place it between your back and the inside of your parachute before
final body adjustments in the cockpit before you buckle up the
restraining belts. With the inflation bulb, change the pressure in
the lumbar support during flight to prevent "setting in of your
muscles" and resulting spasm of the paralumbar muscles. Good luck.
John Iacobucci MD
Old June 18th 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

this lumbar support:http://www.amazon.com/LumbAir-Inflat...-Cushion/dp/B0....
Place it between your back and the inside of your parachute before
final body adjustments in the cockpit before you buckle up the
restraining belts. *With the inflation bulb, change the pressure in
the lumbar support during flight to prevent "setting in of your
muscles" and resulting spasm of the paralumbar muscles. *Good luck.
John Iacobucci MD

Noel

I have a bad back, also can easily injure it rigging etc, spasms,
tingling fingers and arms, etc. I used to fly a DG-303 and found it
very comfortable in the cockpit with a long-softie parachute with a
sheepskin parachute liner pad and a lumbar inflater that looks
identical to the one that John shows. It worked fantastic. Check with
Allen Silver as well at Silver Parachute about customizing backpads
and lumbar supports etc. He helped me set up mine (and added in some
pockets in the sheepskin liner etc.).

Darryl
Old June 20th 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

Noel,

I keep waiting for someone to suggest "ice", so here is $.02 worth
from someone who shattered his spine in three places four years ago in
a gliding mishap from a release failure.

I fly with a chute for acro and rides sometimes six days a week. G
forces and the awkward posture present swelling and pinched nerves on
a daily basis. I too refuse to fly on meds or just not fly.

My thoughtful physical therapist pointed out not only negative
pressure and support but something softer than the chute and "COLD" to
shrink the discs. They supplied a gel pak which I freeze before a day
of flying in 100F heat. Placed correctly, it does provide added
protection and support and grows softer as it warms (about 5 hrs).

It is so majic, I incorporated it into two different (camera and
fishing) vests which my wife sewed large pockects into. Once you get
past the razzing from the neysayers on the field about "where's your
bass lures". Fits nicely between the backpack or by itself and also
can be shifted around to where the most cronic pain is. 52 months-
still flying.

Michael
Old June 26th 11, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

[...]

I had a similar problem. I put a sheepskin pad between me and the
chute. On the back of the sheepskin pad I put a lumbar support
cushion form relax the back, on the back of that I put an inflatable
lumbar support cushion from Aircraft Spruce. I spent a lot of time
moving the cushion and the inflatable support around until I found the
right spot. The other thing I did was go to a trainer at the gym and
have him "modernize" my workout. Which now includes a bunch of crazy
stuff; balancing on balls, and one foot, along with all the back and
stomach exercises I have avoided for years. I slept on ice packs for
the first month and grew concerned about the possibility of developing
ibuprofen addiction, but after I got used to it, most of my back
problems went away.

SF
Old November 16th 16, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In addition to Energy Absorbing Foam (EAF) cushions in gliders, supporting 'spine shells' have been suggested to provide better lower-back protection at the base of parachutes, and better overall cockpit comfort. Some articles indicate that many slightly bumpy landings may cause cumulative back damage rivaling that of one hard landing. I've discovered that spine shells are sold for motorbike riders and other sports. Some look like they would be very suitable for a glider. There are many types available, easily found by Google, look for 'back protectors' or 'motorcycle armor' etc, or start with the first reference listed below. Has anyone tried using one of these commercial spine shells in a glider?

some references to spine shells and EAF cushions a
http://roadridermca.com/newsevents/g...acement-armor/
https://www.sunmatecushions.com/coll...pedic-cushions
Sailplane and Gliding Dec 2002-Jan 2003 issue, page 28
Sailplane and Gliding Oct-Nov 2012 issue, page 18
"Why you should fly with an energy absorbing safety cushion" BGA Safety Brochure

Old November 16th 16, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

My comfort while flying increased dramatically once I got a Butler Parachute, with both inflatable lumbar support and what they call a crash cushion, a triangular piece of temper foam at the base of the back pad, it fills the area at the bottom of the chute and one's butt. I have had four different chutes during my gliding career and this is the first time I had a cute that fit with me and any glider I fly.

I have no financial interest in Butler Parachutes.

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 10:51:33 AM UTC-7, noel.wade wrote:
[...]

No money to fly. Any Ideas? bigcal9 General Aviation 3 January 5th 11 12:58 PM
Bushite soldiers beat to death innocent Children to 'let offsteam' - Support Our Demands For Open Communications - Unraveling the Mystery- you can not find a single soldier on Earth to publicly support GeorgeW Bush without immediately being re Tiger Naval Aviation 0 April 10th 08 01:20 AM
pc ideas? derFlieger Simulators 3 May 5th 05 11:26 PM
GPS Ideas RD Piloting 24 December 12th 03 10:53 AM
flight sim Ideas Steve Simulators 0 July 13th 03 08:56 AM