Buying a glider, advice on type and prices

Old October 18th 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Buying a glider, advice on type and prices

If you're considering flapped gliders in that price range, the LS6C is one of the most underrated gliders. My first flight in a 6C was the day after my first flight in a JS1. Not unimpressed!
But then Derek Piggott always said his favourite glider was the last one he flew.
Jim
Old October 19th 16, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

The problem with LS-6/7/8/10 is fuselage size. I am 200 Lbs 6 ft in shape and could not find a way to fit comfortably. If you fit they are great gliders.

You said you are not interested in Standard class, but there is a lot of fun and performance and ease of use in standard class. Easy to rig, light to rig and great performance. Some days I miss the simplicity of my ASW-24, especially around rigging time, washing time, waxing time... I flew that bird virtually every Saturday. With 18 meter and open birds I have owned, I check weather before i decide to drive to airport.

I would encourage you to look at also: LS-4; ASW-24; ASW-19; Discus.

Old October 19th 16, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Interesting comment. I'm pretty much your size, 5'11" and 205 lbs, but I fit very comfortably in my LS-8. Guess it depends upon torso length and shoulder width. I'd recommend sitting in an LS-6/7/8/10 before rejecting them. As you said, they are great gliders...

-Johm, Q3

Old December 2nd 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 9:15:23 PM UTC+12, John wrote:
Returned to gliding after many years and out of touch with types and prices.

Have narrowed it down to one of these types but nothing set in concrete.

ASW20, ASW27, ASW28, Discus, Discus 2 or Ventus.

Was originally looking to buy a lower cost glider but with interest rates being so poor, I am thinking that a good glider may be a better investment than money in the bank.

Any suggestions and a rough guide on prices? (appreciate that it ultimately depends on level of equipment and condition.

Thanks

My budget was the deciding limit - but I picked up a decent Glasflugel Mosquito with perfect tinted canopy, heel brakes and in decent condition, then spent a small fortune on a proper avionic and oxygen fit-out - very happy pilot !! All for around $30k NZD / 22k USD. Goes like a cut cat, and more than enough performance for the relaxed type of flying I do. Trailing edge Brakes and flaps are excellent. Keeps up with a LS4 at most speeds, ASW27 outperforms it.
Old December 2nd 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another vote for the SZD 55 here - love mine, also over the discus I've flown at my club before. Super light wings, assembles almost by itself with automatic rudder connections. You just need one more guy and a wing stand an thats it. Self locking main wheel adds to safety, you will never experience a belly landing due to not sufficient locking force on the handle. Has a lot of room and a nice seating position. Buy a used one and you will not see a loss of money if you treat it well, speaking of treatment: older T35 gelcoat lives long if you give it the right care.

Student Pilot needs advice on buying 172 Cessna mcannon Owning 2 September 5th 05 03:43 PM
Advice on buying a 182 Robbie S. Owning 26 February 11th 05 10:28 PM
Advice on buying a 152? rajek Owning 27 June 21st 04 08:09 PM
I need some advice on buying my own plane BEFORE training... Anthony L Piloting 6 April 22nd 04 11:13 PM
Advice request -- buying an airplane Casey Wilson Owning 4 April 19th 04 03:22 PM