Would you install lights?

Old August 17th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Would you install lights?

Stealth Pilot wrote:

If I ever wanted to use it it would need replacing.
a light weight straight run cable duct with a loop of light builders
twine from end to end would have been a better option.

lacing the wiring and the pitot tubing to every rib just hasnt proven
to be the best option.(it took 2 months to replace the pitot tubing)

Stealth Pilot

For light weight, go with "wiring loom". It's cheap, extremely light,
and designed to surround and protect wiring. Running wires down it
blind is not easy. The wire ends want to catch on the ribs. Solve that
by screwing on a small wire-nut (or make sure you have the twine, as
Stealth suggests).
Old August 17th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:43:01 -0400, Ernest Christley
wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

If I ever wanted to use it it would need replacing.
a light weight straight run cable duct with a loop of light builders
twine from end to end would have been a better option.

lacing the wiring and the pitot tubing to every rib just hasnt proven
to be the best option.(it took 2 months to replace the pitot tubing)

For light weight, go with "wiring loom". It's cheap, extremely light,
and designed to surround and protect wiring. Running wires down it
blind is not easy. The wire ends want to catch on the ribs. Solve that
by screwing on a small wire-nut (or make sure you have the twine, as
Stealth suggests).

Another option I read about, years ago, was to take a piece of mylar and roll it
into a tube. Slide it into the wing, and it'll uncoil as far as it can for the
largest possible cableway for later use.

Ron Wanttaja
Old August 17th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
Lou wrote:

I'm getting close to covering my wings. I don't currently fly at night
and could even say that I have no intention on flying at night.
However I had no intention on getting married either. Would anyone
install lights anyway or just limit yourself to flying in the
daylight.
Lou

I vote for at least installing the wiring for the lights. You can buy
inexpensive, rigid plastic tubing in various diameters. I would
recommend 3/4" to 1", secure it to the ribs, etc. You can then run the
wiring through the tubing when you wish.

Old August 17th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Ask your wife.

{;-)

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old August 17th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
m...
Ask your wife.

{;-)

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

Reminds me of a good funny I saw in a tire shop last week.

"If a man makes a statement in the forest, and no woman is there to hear
him, is he still wrong?"

Old August 18th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in message

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
m...
Ask your wife.

{;-)

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

Reminds me of a good funny I saw in a tire shop last week.

"If a man makes a statement in the forest, and no woman is there to hear
him, is he still wrong?"

What is the gender of the trees within hearing distance?

Old August 18th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

These are some great ideas.
Lou

Old August 18th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Lou" wrote in message news:9d88ca6a-1183-4909-9ea2-
These are some great ideas.

A bunch of people putting their heads together can be a very good thing.

Like my dad used to say, two heads are better than one, even if one is a
blockhead, and I'm not saying who! g

If I heard that once, I heard it a hundred times. What I wouldn't give to
hear it again. :-(
--
Jim in NC

Old August 18th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

If I heard that once, I heard it a hundred times. What I wouldn't give to
hear it again. :-(

Fellow grows up in New England and has a real taste for a fish delicacy
called "scrod" (a type of codfish only found in NE waters).

He gets sent to the midwestern headquarters and after a year or so gets
called back to the New York office for a meeting. Drooling at the thought,
he hops into a JFK cab and asks the cabbie if he knew where he could get
scrod.

The cabbie turns around and says, "Buddy, I've hoid dat question ten
t'ousand times, but dat's the FOIST time I've ever hoid it in de plupoifict
subjunctive."

Jim

Anyone install the EI FP5L? Doug Vetter Owning 3 March 1st 08 08:08 PM
Can't install FSX Blue Simulators 6 November 22nd 06 10:42 PM
Autopilot install. Jimmy B. Owning 19 July 19th 05 09:29 AM
KLN-94 Install Manual Mike Granby Owning 5 July 7th 05 11:33 AM
New Lycoming Install Evan Carew Home Built 2 October 9th 04 04:10 AM