Anyone have any experience with the F7U "Gutless Cutlass"

Old December 28th 04, 05:40 AM
Elmshoot

Unfortunately, we were not at all impressed -
its T/O performance was marginal. W

A friend of mine who was flying Fords at the time told me about the time he was
in the hold short and a Cutlass was cleared for takoff. The guy pulled onto the
runway and lit both burners while sitting still with the brakes locked and it
didn't slide from the excess Thrust.
How much different our story would be if the engines were providing the
specified thrust instead of the ultimate DOG!
Sparky

Old December 31st 04, 03:56 AM
w4okw

Didn't they call it the "Ensign Eater?

Tom
"Pechs1" wrote in message
Since you are from the museum, do you know Stoney Myock? Supposed to be on

the
staff there. Retired USMC Aviator, former Blues member.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old January 2nd 05, 01:11 AM
R Leonard

w4okw wrote:
Didn't they call it the "Ensign Eater?

Tom

Not an unusual nickname, "Ensign Eater" or "Ensign Eliminator"
F4U's, F7U's, F3H's, for examples, were all so referred to.

Rich

Old January 4th 05, 01:20 AM
Mike Kanze

The Whale (A-3) was known as the "Ensign Killer" for a time.

--
Mike Kanze

"Seismic jitters extend all the way across the Mediterranean. One day all
of Gaul may indeed be divided into three parts, as Africa's rotation bonks
Corsica into the Côte d'Azur, avenging Napoleon and Hannibal alike."

- Russell Seitz, reviewing the book EARTHQUAKES IN HUMAN HISTORY

"R Leonard" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old May 21st 11, 08:32 PM
TD Hkg TD Hkg is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumTech View Post
I was wondering if there were any retired Naval Aviators who have
flight hours logged with the dreaded F7U Cutlass. I work at the
National Museum of Naval Aviation here in Pensacola. We currently have
one on display. Aesthetically speaking, it's a pretty nice looking
plane, but I have read a lot of negative things about it. Were the
flaws merely due to the low performance of the Westinghouse engine?
Were there other flaws? I would love to hear any stories from people
who flew this plane.
Thank you and Happy Holidays
A group of F7Us landed at NAHA Air force base to use NAF for refueling. The Air Force want to test it F86D against the F7U. The test was preformed by lining up one F86D and one F7U together at take off end of the runway. They both would leave with a signal from the tower.

Results: On the signal the left together. After a short distance the F7U fired it afterburner and left the runway surface. The F86D was left behind struggling to get enough air speed to lift off.

We were later told the F7U was a good aircraft carrier plane because one missed the a trap and hit the catch barrier. The plane was not fully stopped because the noise gear collapsed and the barrier did not bring the plan to a safe stop.

I am 76 year old. I was 18 in 1955 when the F7Us came to us. Everyone want to see the planes. I took pictures and I believe my grandson may now have them.