Ooops ... incident at Santa Fe

Old November 7th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Default Ooops ... incident at Santa Fe

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
I guess this shows the difficulty of figuring out what's underneath you. I
guess if you hear about traffic but do not see it, you should assume it is
right where you can't see it rather than safely away from you. Just
speculation, of course.

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/51744.html

Before the Dept of Energy turned the airport over to the county, one
needed a flight review and a prior permission number assigned to the
pilot to fly in and out. I got one plus some mountain flying from the
7100' airport. What is interesting is one way in and one way out. And
the restricted area of the lab to the south, I believe. Very specific
land marks to come in on. At that time they even had a local arrival
procedure to use.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Old November 7th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:44:13 +0000, A. Sinan Unur wrote:

you should assume it is
right where you can't see it rather than safely away from you.

I'd a minor "scare" like that a couple of days ago. I was approaching an
airport that happens to have a VOR on the field. TRACON had told me to
try again in a few minutes for advisories, but I stayed on their
frequency. And someone reported their location as "at the VOR".

I didn't know the other plane's altitude, though I did know he was
climbing. But I did know that I didn't see it. And I guessed that it
was likely below me, probably departing from that airport (or its
neighbor) given that this was that airplane's first contact with TRACON
and that he was climbing.

So I assumed the worst, and turned away from the VOR.

Shortly thereafter, the other plane announced its altitude as being a few
thousand above me.

- Andrew

Old November 7th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Peter R. wrote:
I own and fly a Bonanza V35B. That was the lame attempt at a joke.

Understood. I've flown probably a couple of dozen types over the years. It's a
wonder that I never got around to flying a Bonanza... then I started to think
about why. The Monroe, NC airport is very active and by all reports a fine
facility that emphasizes Beech products. It's just further than I wanted to
drive when I had the Rock Hill, SC airport only about 25 minutes from the
house.... and they rented Piper and Cessna.

As for my former employers, I flew what they gave me. It just never ended up
being Beechcraft... probably because they were more expensive to acquire.

But I knew you were up to no good. G

Old November 7th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"A. Sinan Unur" wrote in message ...
:I guess this shows the difficulty of figuring out what's underneath you. I
: guess if you hear about traffic but do not see it, you should assume it is
: right where you can't see it rather than safely away from you. Just
: speculation, of course.
:
: http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/51744.html
: --
: A. Sinan Unur
: (remove .invalid and reverse each component for email address)

Wow, what a beech!

Old November 9th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Gig 601XL Builder wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

"A. Sinan Unur" wrote in message

I guess this shows the difficulty of figuring out what's underneath you. I
guess if you hear about traffic but do not see it, you should assume it is
right where you can't see it rather than safely away from you. Just
speculation, of course.

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/51744.html
--

Damn.... If only there had been someone at the airport to turn on the lights
and not left it up to the pilots this could have been avoided.

And not only the lights, but this could have been avoided if only
those pilots had filed flight plans...true?

Old November 9th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

".Blueskies." wrote

Wow, what a beech!

If the mating were successful, you would say, "Son of a Beech! " g
--
Jim in NC
Old November 9th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"A. Sinan Unur" wrote

I guess this shows the difficulty of figuring out what's underneath you. I
guess if you hear about traffic but do not see it, you should assume it is
right where you can't see it rather than safely away from you. Just
speculation, of course.

Sadly, in a way, this reminds me a bit of the Avenger vs. RV at Osh this year,
only with a lot happier ending. A simple clearing turn here and there would
have prevented landing on what you could never see underneath you. (without a
little S-turning)

Is this not commonly taught to students, in landing procedures?
--
Jim in NC

Old November 10th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
:
: ".Blueskies." wrote
:
: Wow, what a beech!
:
: If the mating were successful, you would say, "Son of a Beech! " g
: --
: Jim in NC

Itsa twin beech...