2005 Junior Worlds Accident

Old February 13th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Default 2005 Junior Worlds Accident

At 16:24 13 February 2007, John Bojack wrote:
I'm all for low-passes.

That said, I think getting so low as to make hitting
ground based
'obstructions' a possibility with a wing bank is a
whooole 'nother thing.
Exponentially increased danger factor!

Spectating around racing events is always a risk...whether
the crowd
realizes it, or not. Consider all the reality TV
shows you've seen footage
of with various cars, go carts...etc and their associated
parts going flying
into the stand and over 'safety-barriers' into the
crowd.

Over-exuberant and testosteronized youth + highly perched
photographer = one
unfortunate accident occurence in our racing sport.

Do we need to mandate mile-high finishes and safety
bunkers for spectators?

Life's a risk.

Especially so for both the stupid and the reckless.
The problem is that neither recognize their status.

Old February 13th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 13, 10:24 am, Nyal Williams Especially so for both the stupid
and the reckless.

The problem is that neither recognize their status.

I can't help wondering how much the known presence of the photographer
influenced the behavior of the pilots. Is it normal at UK contests to
finish as described in the accident report or are approaches more
conservative without the known photo op. Perhaps a UK competition
pilot could answer that please.

Andy

Old February 14th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

There's been so much written about how "unsafe" low, high speed finishes
are. A shame, as this "is" truly the most spectator worthy part of a contest
.. . . guess I should say "was", at least in the USA.

It's hard to argue against the "S" word, and in our culture, the "L"
(liability) word too. Many who read ras are smart enough to not even bother.
Those who think everyone else should behave in the manner they deem
appropriate know that well. As others have posted, much of life is about
risk. Stay home and do nothing, have a heart attack. NO! Get out there and
be active, try to mitigate those risks you can, accept those you can't, and
get on with the activities you enjoy. I want to enjoy my grandkids, but I'm
not going to stop riding motorcycles or flying.

I enjoy watching gliders flying fast and close. Those are some nice
pictures, Asbjorn, and show that other countries still know how to finish a
soaring contest properly (grin). There's nothing quite so elegant,
beautiful, and with such an awesome sound, as a glider that passes close.
Er, well, I guess I can think of one thing.

bumper
ASH26E
Minden, NV
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink"

"Asbjorn Hojmark" wrote in message
t...
On 13 Feb 2007 11:26:34 -0800, "Andy" wrote:

Is it normal at UK contests to finish as described in the accident
report or are approaches more conservative without the known photo
op.

... Pribina Cup (Slovakia):

http://tinyurl.com/ysftt2
http://tinyurl.com/ynrnp5
http://tinyurl.com/2cywst
http://tinyurl.com/ywmgzf
http://tinyurl.com/23772j
http://tinyurl.com/2cv5ou
http://tinyurl.com/2xzmeg
http://tinyurl.com/yuxvuc
http://tinyurl.com/yvbo7u

... or the European Gliding Championships (Finland)

http://tinyurl.com/2hjqua
http://tinyurl.com/yns5ql
http://tinyurl.com/yqgneo
http://tinyurl.com/yvc69d
http://tinyurl.com/28warp
http://tinyurl.com/29sgnq
http://tinyurl.com/2f5zww
http://tinyurl.com/24zeek
http://tinyurl.com/ynohep

... or the World Gliding Championship (Sweden)

http://tinyurl.com/26vp8w
http://tinyurl.com/youoaf
http://tinyurl.com/2d5xe6
http://tinyurl.com/22hssr
http://tinyurl.com/2gmnva
http://tinyurl.com/2euc68
http://tinyurl.com/2cyhrd
http://tinyurl.com/ypjkfo
http://tinyurl.com/yt4aws

-A
--
Hvis du bruger et anti-spam program, der spammer os andre i hvert
eneste indlęg, ser jeg ikke dine indlęg. Jeg filtrerer dem bort.

Old February 14th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MaD

On 14 Feb., 00:06, Asbjorn Hojmark wrote:
On 13 Feb 2007 11:26:34 -0800, "Andy" wrote:

Is it normal at UK contests to finish as described in the accident
report or are approaches more conservative without the known photo
op.

... Pribina Cup (Slovakia):

http://tinyurl.com/ysftt2http://tiny...url.com/yvbo7u

... or the European Gliding Championships (Finland)

http://tinyurl.com/2hjquahttp://tiny...url.com/ynohep

... or the World Gliding Championship (Sweden)

http://tinyurl.com/26vp8whttp://tiny...url.com/yt4aws

And you can add the European Championships 2004 in Slovakia:
http://www.nitra2005.sk/photos.php?g...gs_by_Elfo&P=1
and http://www.nitra2005.sk/photos.php?
gal=day11_2005-07-20_by_Puppy_landings

Two of the pictures where used in the accident report. I'm pretty
sure, actually, that the guy in the blue T-Shirt is Neil.

In some pictures you can see power lines in the background. They are
about 7-800m from the finishline and it was expressely forbidden to go
lower and then pulling up over them. So everybody cleared them and
then dived for the wheat. Great fun, I can tell you!

Regards
Marcel

Old February 14th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Danewid

All the pictures from the WGC in Sweden shows gliders either
inside the airfield perimeter (after crossing the finish
line for a straight in landing) or on final approach after a
speed finish. Piltos flying below 50 metres at the finish
line were penalized.

If you were so low out side the airfield you will hit the
trees that are visible in the photos.

Low finishes was a topic taken seriously by both the comp
management and our stewards.

Robert Danewid
Championships Director WGC2006

Old February 15th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Okay, I will bite again.

Let's say this person who was killed outside the boundary of the
airport was hit by a 747 landing...we see plenty of images from some
airport in the Carribean where just this situation occurs, aircraft
very low over public roadway on final. So the idea expressed by Nick
is....someone standing under the flight path of an aircraft is
responsible for their death...including those areas outside of an
airport? Sure this guy was there to take pictures, but it was a
public road for Christ's sake. Public roads are not the domains of
gliders doing competion finishes, at least not in the US.

Old February 17th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Why do you think it is a public road? I think it is an access road to farm
buildings, and owned by the farmer.

Does this make any difference? I think not, which is why the AAIB do not
comment on the status of the road.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, I will bite again.

Let's say this person who was killed outside the boundary of the
airport was hit by a 747 landing...we see plenty of images from some
airport in the Caribbean where just this situation occurs, aircraft
very low over public roadway on final. So the idea expressed by Nick
is....someone standing under the flight path of an aircraft is
responsible for their death...including those areas outside of an
airport? Sure this guy was there to take pictures, but it was a
public road for Christ's sake. Public roads are not the domains of
gliders doing competition finishes, at least not in the US.

Old February 17th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So if I understand correctly...if the individual killed on the ground
had been "Joe Public" minding his own business...this would still be
an acceptable consequence? Or is the fact that the photographer had
knowledge of the flight path make him at fault?

And the analogy to landing out is something of a bit of a stretch.
What if the individual killed had been a child who was perched on the
van to get a better view? And sorry Bumper, in regards to the
spectator appeal of low passes...I think they are entirely appropriate
to air-shows....and entirely inappropriate to glider competions.

And now we get the comparisons to auto race accidents and the such.
Rubbish. We as pilots decide what risks to accept, and what risks
should be regulated. Why not ridge soar at 5' above the ground over a
crowded hiking trail?