Glider Crash - Minden?

Old August 29th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch

Default Glider Crash - Minden?

Heard there may have been a glider - biz jet crash in Minden? True or
False?

-EX

Old August 29th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Yes, see: http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/3754767.html
and: http://www.ktvn.com/dyn_fullnews.asp...y&storyid=7164

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old August 29th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch

Humm looks like it's time to be getting that X-ponder and put off the
refinish another year or so.

-EX

Old August 29th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rumor control here...

Challenger 800X with 5 on board on route to Reno from San Diego
collided with an ASG29 around 16,000ft east on Minden on the Pinenut
mountains.

The Jet landed gear up at Carson City the pilot sustaining minor
injuries in the initial impact.

The Glider Pilot bailed and landed ok.

Look at KRNV.com or RGJ.com for more info.

This is not good as there are elections going on in NV right now and
you know some moron politician is going to try to make the skies
safer!!

Later

Al

Old August 29th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy Yanetz

A miracle. Did the ASG 29 used a transponder? Assuming not, I am wondering
if he could not afford one...
This is not good as there are elections going on in NV right now and
you know some moron politician is going to try to make the skies
safer!!

Maybe by enforcing the use of transponders in the Reno area? I don't see a
problem with that...

Ramy

ups.com...

Old August 29th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stewart Kissel

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5337875

Update with picture of glider pilot and damaged jet.

Old August 29th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DocJim

I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt... that is a miracle!

Can anyone report the conditions at 16,000 feet at the time of the
collision, and the class of airspace?

Old August 29th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SAM 303a

Sure, blame the victim.
I haven't seen anything that suggests that the glider pilot was in any way
at fault. The glider was hit by the jet, not vice versa. Visual rules were
in effect.
Why are we asking what else could the glider pilot do?
Why aren't we asking "what else could the jet pilot have done?"
The jet does not have a greater right to use the skies than the glider.

I'm not arguing against transponders. I am arguing in favor of taking a
stand on the principle that we all have a right to use the skies, subject to
our compliance with the appropriate rules. We should not stand before the
regulators saying "we'll add any gizmo you ask if you'll just let us keep
flying". If anyone was at fault here it was the jet pilot for (pick one or
more of the following) not maintaining a visual scan of traffic, flying too
fast to react to the presence of a glider, not recognizing that the
sectional markings showing a glider port might be significant to how she
operated the aircraft.

om...

Old August 29th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland

We are having a battle in the UK to stop the CAA (Civil
Aviation Authority, otherwise known as the 'Campaign
Against Aviation') enforcing the mandatory carriage
of Mode S transponders in all aircraft, which includes
gliders. The basic bit of kit costs about £1600 plus
fitting by an 'approved' organisation and Value Added
Tax (17.5%). In total we estimate this will cost at
least £3000+ per glider, with additional ongoing servicing
and licencing costs. Then there are all the extra batteries
that we will have to carry if we want to fly for more
than about 3 hours, which will have to come out of
our permitted MAUW. The fittings for the extra batteries
may have to have design approval by EASA, which is
another major cost.

Although transponders work perfectly well in IMC conditions,
they are also trying to impose strict VMC conditions
on gliding.

You may have enough money to fit and run a Mode S transponder
Ramy, but many private owners of older sailplanes do
not. An airworthy wooden gliders can be picked up for
£3k or less in the UK. Even for club owned gliders,
this proposal would significantly increase the cost
of flying gliders.

Most collisions involving gliders are with other gliders
in thermals or on ridges, or with GA or military aircraft.
Mode S transponders do little or nothing to address
this problem. Hence we are being asked to pay large
sums of money for protecting Commercial Airliners that
wish to take short cuts through Class G airspace, without
any benefits to us. Speaking personally I would be
less hostile to fitting ADS-B or FLARM systems, which
are cheaper, less power hungry and are of some benefit
to glider pilots in detecting other aircraft. Otherwise
we should expect all pilots to keep a good lookout
when flying in Class G.

Derek Copeland

At 05:00 29 August 2006, Ramy Yanetz wrote:
A miracle. Did the ASG 29 used a transponder? Assuming
not, I am wondering
if he could not afford one...
This is not good as there are elections going on in
NV right now and
you know some moron politician is going to try to
make the skies
safer!!

Maybe by enforcing the use of transponders in the Reno
area? I don't see a
problem with that...

Ramy

oups.com...

Mitch wrote:
Heard there may have been a glider - biz jet crash
in Minden? True or
False?

-EX

VQ-1's P4M-1Q crash off China - 1956 Mike Naval Aviation 0 May 6th 06 11:13 PM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
Seniors Contest Bob Fidler Soaring 68 March 17th 05 03:50 AM
Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Announce/USA: FAA Glider Flying Handbook / Bob Wander SoarBooks Soaring 0 August 11th 03 03:55 PM