2005 Worlds Juniors Accident.

Old February 8th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Default 2005 Worlds Juniors Accident.

The U.K. Air Accidents Investigation Branch accident report on the fatal
crash involving a photographer on 9th August 2005 at Husbands Bosworth has
now been published.

It may be found at
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...65%2002-07.pdf .

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Old February 8th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_1_]

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.). wrote:
The U.K. Air Accidents Investigation Branch accident report on the fatal
crash involving a photographer on 9th August 2005 at Husbands Bosworth has
now been published.

It may be found at
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...65%2002-07.pdf .

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

My first thought is that competition finishes, as we know them in the
UK, will probably have to be altered quite radically. A quote from the
report:

"[pilots] may have thought that because ultimately they were landing,
they were absolved from the obligation to observe Rule 5 whilst they
were racing towards the finishing line. However, gliders do not normally
approach a glider site at high speed and very low height requiring
pop‑up manoeuvres to avoid obstacles outside the airfield boundary.
Usually, they land from an approach involving a gradual descent at
moderate airspeed, crossing the airfield boundary at a height that does
not normally present a risk to spectators or passers-by. Therefore, it
is clear that the finishing technique used in this race by many of the
competitors did not constitute ‘landing in accordance with normal
aviation practice’ (see Rule 5 para (3)(a)(ii )) which automatically
exempts pilots from having to observe the ‘500 feet rule’ stipulated in
para (2)(b))."

The alternative, if such finishes are to be retained, is for an
exemption from the UK CAA for each competition, and it seems clear from
the report that this would require competition organisers to ensure that
spectators could not enter the potential at risk zone, which would be
practically impossible at many airfields I know.

I'm not a competition pilot, and haven't the nerve to fly a proper
competition finish, so wouldn't want to suggest how to change what we
currently do. I certainly don't have a view that such finishes are too
dangerous to be allowed to continue. However, reading the report is
sobering, and suggests to me that we won't be allowed continue as we
have been used to.

Old February 8th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SAM 303a

I hope our friends across the pond read the *ahem* dialog the US had here on
RAS the last two springs about competition finishes vs. finish cylinders and
other suggestions.

Interesting point about the 500' rule. I don't think that came up over
here.

.

Old February 8th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Although I fly SC, I'm not a competition pilot, and I won't even
attend my first competition until this spring. So please make
allowances for my ignorance. That said, things about this accident
don't make sense:

1. Why were the spectators and cars on the opposite side of the hedge
from where the planes were coming? If you want to be seen and avoided,
wouldn't it be much better to be in front of the hedge?

2. Why were the planes allowed to fly so low (30 feet) at least 1,000
meters from the airport? I've spent a lot of time in rural England,
and I know that there are a lot of hikers in the country. Were there
signs posted to warn any poor hikers about fast, quite, low flying
aircraft?

3. Why, in this day of GPS, didn't the organizers simply use a 500 or
a 1,000 foot finish? It eliminates problems of misjudging your energy,
although admittedly it isn't as exciting for people hanging around the
airfield.

As a group, we worry about someday an airliner hitting a glider and
what that would do to the sport. Why is killing a spectator (or worse,
a hiker) on the ground any different?

-John

Old February 8th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." wrote in message
The U.K. Air Accidents Investigation Branch accident report on the fatal
crash involving a photographer on 9th August 2005 at Husbands Bosworth has
now been published.

It may be found at
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...65%2002-07.pdf
.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

I used to instruct at Husbands Bosworth thirty years ago. We hosted the
British Nationals one year and the CFI asked me to take all the competitors
up in a two seater to show them the site from the air and point out local
hazards etc. Naturally I let these pundits do the flying, and for quite a
few their circuit procedure was so sloppy, and their airmanship so bad,
that
I grounded them until they had taken a further check ride with our CFI. I'm
afraid that the HB accident merely goes to show that not a lot has improved
in thirty years.

I am appalled that the organisers of a competition were prepared to
tolerate
the really dreadful flying that was going on. 'Popping up' would have got
you grounded in my time if anyone had seen you doing it. I know the planes
are better these days, but I doubt the pilots are. There is no reason why
the finish line cannot be between 250 and 500 feet. It does not need to be
on the ground.

Alistair Wright
UK Silver C 4759

Old February 8th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

The answer to question 1. is that the road/track where the cars were parked
is on the west side of the hedge and easily accessible, on the east side
from where the gliders were finishing is just a field. This is clearly
shown in the photo at the top of page 59 (4th page of the report).

Part of the answer to question 3. is that the rules for a world competition
are FAI rules, on page 69 (14th page of the report) the report points out
that the rules for an IGC sanctioned competition are not the BGA's
Competition Rules. This is why the third Safety Recommendation 2006-121 by
the AAIB is addressed to the IGC. So your question is addressed to the IGC,
not the BGA in this instance.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

oups.com...

Old February 8th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

On Feb 8, 9:45 am, "W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\)."
wrote:
The U.K. Air Accidents Investigation Branch accident report on the fatal
crash involving a photographer on 9th August 2005 at Husbands Bosworth has
now been published.

It may be found athttp://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/LS1F%20Glider,%20BGA4665%2002-07....

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

This is a well written, very thoughtful report. Well done.

Not to revive a flame war, but the solution is obvious. The race
finishes at 500 feet, followed by pattern and landing.

Pro: This won't happen again. Plus fewer crashes 1 mile out, in the
fence, or low energy problems at the airport.

Con: Less fun.

John Cochrane BB

PS: I love the part about being really low for safety, so you can see
the wires and then pop over them better. Yeager would be proud.

Old February 8th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

I'll concede that the cars would park on the access road, not in the
field. Now can you explain why anyone in their right mind would stand
on top of a slippery car, mostly hidden behind a hedge (see Figure 1
of the report), and play peek-a-boo with quiet, high speed aircraft
when they could simply walk through openings in the hedge which are
clearly right there (see Figure 2 of the report) so they could (a) be
seen by the pilots (b) could see the plane and drop to the ground if
necessary, and (c) get some inherent protection by the self-
preservation instinct of the pilot wanting to miss the hedge?

-John

Old February 8th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

jcarlyle wrote:
Now can you explain why anyone in their right mind would stand
on top of a slippery car, mostly hidden behind a hedge (see Figure 1
of the report), and play peek-a-boo with quiet, high speed aircraft
when they could simply walk through openings in the hedge which are
clearly right there (see Figure 2 of the report) so they could (a) be
seen by the pilots (b) could see the plane and drop to the ground if
necessary, and (c) get some inherent protection by the self-
preservation instinct of the pilot wanting to miss the hedge?

Uh, maybe because that particular person wanted to get yet another
spectacular photograph, and the pilot was trying to help and/or give him
a bit of a scare?

Marc
Old February 8th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trev Cook

This whole sorry incident has only one word for it. Cavalier! This =
report is a warning shot across the bow for the CAA, BGA, Directors, =
Pilots and spectators. The competition showed how good a final glide =
could and should be the day after. All parties need to up the ante.

Trev
--- Original Message -----=20
Now can you explain why anyone in their right mind would stand
on top of a slippery car, mostly hidden behind a hedge (see Figure 1
of the report), and play peek-a-boo with quiet, high speed aircraft
when they could simply walk through openings in the hedge which are
clearly right there (see Figure 2 of the report) so they could (a) =

be
seen by the pilots (b) could see the plane and drop to the ground if
necessary, and (c) get some inherent protection by the self-
preservation instinct of the pilot wanting to miss the hedge?

Uh, maybe because that particular person wanted to get yet another=20
spectacular photograph, and the pilot was trying to help and/or give =
him=20
a bit of a scare?

Marc

-----