Slingsby T-21

Old February 27th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Default Slingsby T-21

Does anyone in the US have/fly one of these gliders?

Old February 27th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Feb 27, 2:03 pm, Nyal Williams
wrote:
Does anyone in the US have/fly one of these gliders?

Looks like someone owns two.

Frank

N-number : N7013A
Aircraft Serial Number : 1971
Aircraft Manufacturer : SLINGSBY
Model : TYPE 21B SEDBERGH
Aircraft Year :
Owner Name : BYARD JEFFERY G
Owner Address : 13555 EL CAMINO REAL
ATASCADERO, CA, 93422
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 22-Nov-1993
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Not Specified

N-number : N9048U
Aircraft Serial Number : WB947
Aircraft Manufacturer : SLINGSBY
Model : TYPE 21B SEDBERGH
Aircraft Year :
Owner Name : CLOSSON LUKE
Owner Address : 604 GORNTO RD
VALDOSTA, GA, 31602
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 25-Jun-1987
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Experimental
Approved Operations : Racing

N-number : N9049V
Aircraft Serial Number : WB972
Aircraft Manufacturer : SLINGSBY
Model : TYPE 21B SEDBERGH
Aircraft Year :
Owner Name : DINUCCI GINO
Owner Address : 706 LOWELL RD
UNIONDALE, NY, 11553
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 25-Jun-1987
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Experimental
Approved Operations : Exhibition

N-number : N90492
Aircraft Serial Number : WG497
Aircraft Manufacturer : SLINGSBY
Model : TYPE 21B SEDBERGH
Aircraft Year : 1951
Owner Name : CLOSSON LUKE
Owner Address : 604 GORNTO RD
VALDOSTA, GA, 31602
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 25-Jun-1987
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Experimental
Approved Operations : Exhibition

N-number : N941WB
Aircraft Serial Number : WB941
Aircraft Manufacturer : SLINGSBY
Model : TYPE 21B SEDBERGH
Aircraft Year : 1949
Owner Name : U S SOUTHWEST SOARING MUSEUM INC
Owner Address : PO BOX 3626
MORIARTY, NM, 87035-3626
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 07-Sep-2005

Old February 27th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Wilton

Approved Operations : Racing

????????

Old February 27th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AAGF

Nyal Williams wrote:
Does anyone in the US have/fly one of these gliders?

Probably - I solo'ed in a T21b back in the 70's at Portmoak in Scotland
- they were a good (unstallable, unspinnable) trainer in their time.

Andy
Old February 27th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David

I believe they have one at Texas Soaring Association. I too soloed in
a T-21, at RAF Bicester in the early 70's. As I recall it could at
least start to spin, as spin recovery training i.e. use the rudder not
the ailerons was part of the check out for solo. That solo was off of
the winch and lasted for all of 4 minutes. I still remember it
vividly.

David Martin

Old February 27th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Unstallable !? Unspinnable !?

I don't think so.

I was trained in them to solo standard at the London Gliding Club, Dunstable
in 1963.

The two I flew would do a classic stall with nose drop and lateral
instability. We did not have enough height to let the spin develop, and
recovery was immediate when the correct control movements were made.

In fact I think that for teaching those two particular exercises to early
pre-solo pupils they are better than any two-seat glider I have flown since.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

link.net...

Old February 28th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

AAGF wrote:

.....I solo'ed in a T21b back in the 70's at Portmoak in Scotland
- they were a good (unstallable, unspinnable) trainer in their time.

I WANT trainers to be stallable/spinable. A student will advance to
gliders that can (and will) and I want them to know how to deal with it.
You understand that this is a religious war :-).

Tony V.
Old February 28th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Wright

At 22:06 27 February 2007, Aagf wrote:
Nyal Williams wrote:
- they were unstallable, unspinnable

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me you are not an instructor !

Old February 28th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Nyal Williams wrote:
- they were unstallable, unspinnable

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me you are not an instructor !

I AM an instructor, but I did not write that comment.
I merely asked if there were any of these in the US.

You have miscopied, or mis-deleted and it makes it
appear as if I made that comment. I do teach stalls
and spins.

Old February 28th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Mark Wright wrote:

Please tell me you are not an instructor !

Oh, some eleventy-one-one bang bang histrionics, eh? That's so we know
you're contributing to a deliberate and sober discussion?

Wait - that's right, it's RAS. Carry on.

Bob K.