Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Old October 12th 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

I don’t think anyone mentioned the AS34ME. While not available yet, it sounds like it has good potential. The web site claims total of 9000+ feet of potential climb, or 2000 self launch and 75 miles range using it as a sustainer, which is pretty much double the FES capability.
I am not clear on the charging process. Since the batteries are in the wing, it sounds like you can’t recharge between flights without taking the wings apart?
Will be interesting to hear thoughts if this is a good candidate for best overall motorglider?

Ramy
Old October 12th 20, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 8:47:08 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
I don’t think anyone mentioned the AS34ME. While not available yet...

Always an issue ;-)

I am not clear on the charging process. Since the batteries are in the
wing, it sounds like you can’t recharge between flights without taking
the wings apart?

Planes with batteries in wing typically have a connector in fuselage
to permit easy charging whilst assembled (mine does).

Do ask however if charging system is set up for 110V as commonly available
in USA - reduced voltage means double current for same charge rate,
and unless all wiring and connectors are sized appropriately for USA
you get to double the charge time to keep the current within design limits.
Ask me how I know ;-)
Usually not a big problem if its "overnight charge" anyway.

If you have to buy a high-power 110V to 240V converter that's a nuisance!

See ya, Dave
Old October 12th 20, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Charging from the fuselage will make it impossible to charge overnight under most circumstances unless you tie down near a hangar or use your own generator. Perhaps using a generator is a reasonable practical method?

Ramy
Old October 12th 20, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 1:48:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the current FES tread so I thought I'd start a new one.
This topic came up over dinner a couple of weeks ago.

When you add all the following into a pot and stir, whats the "Best"
Say for Western Great Basin flying.

I think it may be the Carat, but I don't know much about it.
CX thinks its the DG 800 series, but all I know is since he bought that thing its been a endless battle to keep it running. But it does climb well.

FACTORS

Reliability
Maintenance required to keep it running
XC flyability, performance and control feel
Storability
Rigging
Initial cost
High density climb performance
Range
Cockpit layout and seating
Parts availability
Insurance cost
Landing gear complexity
Overall quality
Nick

Best answer...a sailplane someone else owns, insures and maintains that does what you need...but you can still fly when you want.....
Old October 12th 20, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 8:03:57 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Ramy
I've tied down next to RV with his Antares in Ephrata a couple of years now.
He ties it on the ramp and has a very small Honda generator to charge it back up. The generator is very small and quiet, you can barely hear it running. If your out on the road I think this is how your going to charge your electric glider.
He loves the way that Antares's flys, he does not love the lack of factory support and all the problems he's had with the power unit's various components.
I'm sure Nadler could write a small book on the Antares problems.
It looks to me that the manufacture's can get the glider right, the electric propulsion system, not so much.
The AS34 looks good on paper, its such a huge claim of power I wonder if it is possible, and rigging those things day in day out with those heavy wings, and when your flying and run out of amps, your still heavy.
You show up at Tonopah at 9 am and you've got to rig by yourself, it might be a challenge, your not 29 years old any more.
Personally I've always wondered why you did not transition to a ASH 26E a long time ago.
I would think it would have matched your style.
Nick
Old October 12th 20, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 7:47:08 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I don’t think anyone mentioned the AS34ME. While not available yet, it sounds like it has good potential. The web site claims total of 9000+ feet of potential climb, or 2000 self launch and 75 miles range using it as a sustainer, which is pretty much double the FES capability.
I am not clear on the charging process. Since the batteries are in the wing, it sounds like you can’t recharge between flights without taking the wings apart?
Will be interesting to hear thoughts if this is a good candidate for best overall motorglider?

Ramy

The specs for the '34 leave me wanting. Regarding performance, I would rather fly my wonderful LS8-18 or an 18m Discus 2, I doubt the '34 can keep up with those gliders. Pricing is shockingly high, the '34 will run you fully equipped and delivered in a metal trailer close to $200k. In Europe, it is marketed as a "Genussflieger" or pleasure glider for club pilots. You'd be very likely disappointed, Ramy.
Old October 12th 20, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 9:57:23 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
Charging from the fuselage will make it impossible to charge overnight
under most circumstances unless you tie down near a hangar or use your
own generator. Perhaps using a generator is a reasonable practical method?

For 13 years I've mostly found a place near power at contests,
and carry a portable generator for sites where that is not possible.
Not a big deal. Especially at sites where they're nice enough to
reserve a tie-down near an adequate power outlet (special thanks to Rich
and Jayne). At Minden I've sometimes been able to rent a hangar
with power during a contest, sometimes tied down in front of office.
And so forth. Like I said, not a big deal.

Bigger problem is keeping the machine working ;-(

Old October 12th 20, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Ramy wrote on 10/11/2020 6:57 PM:
Charging from the fuselage will make it impossible to charge overnight under most circumstances unless you tie down near a hangar or use your own generator. Perhaps using a generator is a reasonable practical method?

Ramy

I've thought about this, since I expect to have that problem next year with the GP15. Here's
what I've considered:

- At home, I may have access to the power from friend's hangar and a place to tie down down
beside it, instead of the ramp tiedowns

- Typically, only a partial charge would be required, taking an hour or two, so power at a
tiedown is usually not needed; eg, Parowan and Ely have RV and hangar outlets that can be used
to charge in the evening after landing, then the glider moved to the tiedown after dinner. Or,
in the morning before flying

- My motorhome has a generator that could be used to charge the glider at the tiedown when
there is no 120VAC available on the field. It can even charge the glider in the trailer while
traveling

- The 15M GP15 should be easy to derig each night, instead of covering and tying down, and
parked near power for the charger; alternatively, once it's derigged, the batteries can be slid
out of the wings and taken to the RV/FBO/motel/etc for charging.

Old October 12th 20, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I know of one that can climb directly to 18,000' (33,000', according to
the POH) and then cruise at 140 KTAS for 600 miles or so, and has two
seats.* Oh, and it has a 50:1 glide ratio with the engine stowed.* Not
much of a contest ship, though.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 12th 20, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

The price tag of close to 200K for a new self launcher does not surprise me as I don’t think you can’t find much cheaper for any new motorglider?
What surprises me is the expectation that the 34 will not perform as well as the top standard class such as LS8 and Discus 2 and is marketed as a club glider. After all the claim of 48:1 glide ratio is as high as you can expect from a non flap ship, which is not bad. So why do you expect it will not perform as well?
I wonder why they don’t offer the same option in the 33?
I would like to hear thoughts on it.
As for why I did not switch to a motorglider myself so far, part of it is enjoying the “pure” and adventure aspect of pure gliders, part is that in the places I fly and with the support I have, pure gliders worked well for me, part is shying away from complexity, maintainace and extra cost. But I am getting older, and electric solution appeal the most to me, but I haven’t found the silver lining I am looking for so far.

Ramy

ASW 20C Motorglider Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 3 February 7th 19 11:17 AM
FS: DG-400 Motorglider 2G Soaring 0 September 20th 13 02:32 PM
IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 12:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 04:06 AM
motorglider KsiTau Soaring 0 September 4th 04 09:10 AM