Maintenance Questions

Old June 26th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Maintenance Questions

wrote

acid free white kerosene
fill compass/ get A&P to replace tubing

I'm curious, for those that know sailboat and airplane compasses, why the
difference in fluids?

In sailboats, I was told the reason for using mineral oil was to dampen the
movements, with the more viscous fluid doing that function.

I would think that airplanes would need the same characteristics of the
dampened movement, but yet, people are saying that the thinner kerosene is
the fluid of choice to use in the compass.

Anyone got any insights to this?
--
Jim in NC

Old June 26th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Yeah, I did this whole "what fluid to use" thing about four years ago on
this same newsgroup. No, kerosene isn't the optimum choice, but that's what
Lindy had to use going across the Big Pond, and the FAA has proceeded little
from that point.

Mineral oil freezes at a fairly high temperature. Damned few sailboats out
on the water when it freezes, so that isn't a problem for them. It is for
us.

The viscous fluid of choice for compasses is copy machine fuser oil. Good
from boiling to freezing and well past. Thick enough not to ooze past
slightly dried out seals. Not to be used except in experimental aircraft
and aviation quality (ahem) "boat" compasses.

Jim

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

Old June 27th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

Yeah, I did this whole "what fluid to use" thing about four years ago on
this same newsgroup. No, kerosene isn't the optimum choice, but that's
what Lindy had to use going across the Big Pond, and the FAA has proceeded
little from that point.

Mineral oil freezes at a fairly high temperature. Damned few sailboats
out on the water when it freezes, so that isn't a problem for them. It is
for us.

The viscous fluid of choice for compasses is copy machine fuser oil. Good
from boiling to freezing and well past. Thick enough not to ooze past
slightly dried out seals. Not to be used except in experimental aircraft
and aviation quality (ahem) "boat" compasses.

Interesting.

Is that "fuser oil" the stuff that was used in the old purple letter
mimeograph copy machines, or something in newer machines that I know
absolutely nothing about?

I always used to love that smell, of freshly run copies. So if I smelled
that wonderful smell in flight, I know my compass just sprung a leak!

What do the new compasses (those that still have magnets in them) use for
fluid?
--
Jim in NC

Old June 27th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Morgans wrote:
[...]

No, it's not that.

Fuser oil was used in older copy machines.
It's a clear, probably silicon-based oil
that kept the fuser rolls soft and pliable.

Haven't seen it for years.

Old June 28th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

The SIRS compasses are using a silicon fluid. The claim is that the
"thicker" fluid reduces turning and acceleration errors.

personally, I really like the big numerals on the dial!
Old June 29th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Yes, I can actually see the numbers on my SIRS compass. I think there were
numbers on the old original one. They may even have been somewhat visible
when it was new.

"Blanche" wrote in message
The SIRS compasses are using a silicon fluid. The claim is that the
"thicker" fluid reduces turning and acceleration errors.

personally, I really like the big numerals on the dial!

What do you do about maintenance? Andrew Gideon Owning 5 July 2nd 06 04:00 PM
Maintenance questions JJS Owning 15 August 18th 05 01:43 AM
Maintenance Manuals RST Engineering General Aviation 6 April 4th 05 06:47 PM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM
B-25 Maintenance Randy Military Aviation 1 July 11th 03 03:37 AM