Flight instruction compensation - light sport

Old February 8th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flight instruction compensation - light sport

Then why is a commercial required in order to get a CFI?

That's a very good question. I believe that is one of the items they
"fixed" with the sport CFI (but I don't remember the final draft).
However, the FAA has been very clear that instruction is not flying for
hire. Maybe its just because the FAA wants CFIs to fly to commercial
standards or perhaps the FAA didn't want the bother of having "private
CFIs" and "commercial CFIs" (to give commercial instruction).

-Robert

Old February 8th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Experience, which is why the new Sport Pilot CFI is
different than the regular CFI.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Rachel" wrote in message
. ..
| Robert M. Gary wrote:
| I think the underlying point here is that "charging" for
instruction
| has nothing to do with medicals when it comes to a CFI.
According to
| the FAA FAQ the reasoning behind this is that CFIs are
paid to teach
| not to fly. As a CFI I must agree. For every hour of
instruction I log,
| I'm lucky to get 30 seconds on the controls. In actual
fact there were
| probably more political forces at work than logical but
the fact is
| that whether a CFI charges or not does not at all effect
his need for a

Old February 8th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is for reasons of practicality, the commercial
certificate requires more experience and a slightly higher,
although still rather low level of skill to pass the test.

The reason the FAA may have dropped the requirement for a
current medical for the CFI to instruct or renew is that
there is a shortage of experienced instructors and the FAA
wants the experience and wisdom of the old hands to stay
available.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old February 8th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is for reasons of practicality, the commercial
certificate requires more experience and a slightly higher,
although still rather low level of skill to pass the test.
The reason the FAA may have dropped the requirement for a
current medical for the CFI to instruct or renew is that
there is a shortage of experienced instructors and the FAA
wants the experience and wisdom of the old hands to stay
available.

Sounds reasonable.

-Robert

Old February 8th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I always try to be reasonable.

Actually, you can look up the full text of the FAR changes,
which include the reasons the FAA proposes a rules change
and also public comments.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P