Secret Life of the Tow Rope

Old September 10th 12, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Secret Life of the Tow Rope

As presented by SSA State Governor for Wisconsin, Peter Von Trescow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
Old September 10th 12, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Skyslicer

oops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssFSnYca6-U

Old September 10th 12, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

The slow motion part was sychedelic! I want to see "boxing the wake"!
Old September 10th 12, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Monday, September 10, 2012 10:33:12 AM UTC-5, JohnDeRosa wrote:
The slow motion part was sychedelic! I want to see "boxing the wake"!

psychedelic of course.
Old September 10th 12, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message
On Monday, September 10, 2012 10:33:12 AM UTC-5, JohnDeRosa wrote:
The slow motion part was sychedelic! I want to see "boxing the wake"!

psychedelic of course.

Hmmm that could be fun. I'm thinking of adding some small stabilizing device
(cardboard fins?) next time I try this.

Pete

Old September 10th 12, 08:48 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Interesting perspective...great idea! It would be great to have another facing the towplane, synchronize the videos, and put them on a split screen together...easy for me to say!

Brad.
Old September 10th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:41:36 -0500, Peter von Tresckow wrote:

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message
On Monday, September 10, 2012 10:33:12 AM UTC-5, JohnDeRosa wrote:
The slow motion part was sychedelic! I want to see "boxing the wake"!

psychedelic of course.

Hmmm that could be fun. I'm thinking of adding some small stabilizing
device (cardboard fins?) next time I try this.

Pete

How was the camera mounted?

How far from the hook was it?

I'd assumed it was strapped to the rope with wing tape or similar a few
feet away from the tug's hook and that the rolling was due to the rope
twisting under tension.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 10th 12, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:41:36 -0500, Peter von Tresckow wrote:

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message
On Monday, September 10, 2012 10:33:12 AM UTC-5, JohnDeRosa wrote:
The slow motion part was sychedelic! I want to see "boxing the wake"!

psychedelic of course.

Hmmm that could be fun. I'm thinking of adding some small stabilizing
device (cardboard fins?) next time I try this.

Pete

How was the camera mounted?

How far from the hook was it?

I'd assumed it was strapped to the rope with wing tape or similar a few
feet away from the tug's hook and that the rolling was due to the rope
twisting under tension.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |

I just taped the camera to the rope about 20 feet or so from the glider end
of the rope. Nothing fancy, just a whole bunch of wing tape. And yes the
twisting is from the hollowbraid rope coming under thension. Until I watched
the video I didn't realize how much it twists when you apply tension.

Pete

Old September 10th 12, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:15:37 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:41:36 -0500, Peter von Tresckow wrote:

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message
On Monday, September 10, 2012 10:33:12 AM UTC-5, JohnDeRosa wrote:
The slow motion part was sychedelic! I want to see "boxing the
wake"!

psychedelic of course.

Hmmm that could be fun. I'm thinking of adding some small stabilizing
device (cardboard fins?) next time I try this.

Pete

How was the camera mounted?

How far from the hook was it?

I'd assumed it was strapped to the rope with wing tape or similar a few
feet away from the tug's hook and that the rolling was due to the rope
twisting under tension.

....this time with a sig!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 10th 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:20:56 -0500, Peter von Tresckow wrote:

[...]

Somehow I doubt that just adding fins will help much since its the rope
twisting. Would it help to put the camera very near the tug's hook? That
should get rid of the twist but the glider may look rather small.

Has anybody tried the same trick with a winch? Putting the camera near
the parachute end of the shock rope may work quite well.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Tow Rope Question James Anderson Soaring 1 July 29th 12 01:47 AM
Rope Break Walt Connelly Soaring 4 April 12th 11 09:04 PM
tow rope tazman Soaring 9 August 25th 10 02:30 AM
Where to buy AmSteel tow rope? [email protected] Soaring 2 April 20th 06 02:45 AM
11 on a Rope Peter Seddon Rotorcraft 0 May 27th 04 11:33 AM