engine overhaul & autopilot question

Old February 11th 04, 01:36 PM
CriticalMass

Tony Woolner wrote:

I saw a Warrior. It had a Mattituck engine overhaul. After the overhaul
they had to replace two cylinders. Why was that? Also there was a
Century 21 autopilot.You set the heading bug and it flys the plane to
the vor and approaches.

Oh? Thought those "Century 21" autopilots automatically flew you to
desirable neighborhoods.

Old February 11th 04, 02:30 PM
James M. Knox

Tony Woolner wrote in
:

I saw a Warrior. It had a Mattituck engine overhaul. After the
overhaul they had to replace two cylinders. Why was that?

There could be any number of reasons why two cylinders had to be
replaces soon after an overhaul (if that is indeed what you are asking).
The rings may not have seated in properly, in which case they usually
just re-hone them and re-install. There might have been a problem with
the valve seating, or even a potential problem where it was discovered
that some parts were not properly hardened.

Mattituck is a quality shop, but problems do still get past, and of
course the installation can be faulty as well.

Also there was a
Century 21 autopilot.You set the heading bug and it flys the plane to
the vor and approaches. I fought the control to to right and the
autopilot was still on! How do you turn it off.You have to push the
switch to turn it off?

I'm confused. Are you saying that you took off with the autopilot still
on? Checking the autopilot (and verifying it's off) is part of the
checklist. I believe you can download a free operator's manual for the
Century 21 autopilot from the factory.

http://www.centuryflight.com/

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old February 11th 04, 08:11 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tony Woolner" wrote in message ...
We were flying along with the autopilot on. I tried to turn the plane to the
left but it was fighting the controls. How do you disconnect the autopilot?
A friend told me when you turn the plane it should disconnect automatically.
I guess you just have to turn the switch off to stop the autopilot?

You really need to read the manual before attempting to fly a plane with an
autopilot. Your friend is full of it. Most autopilots do not disconnect when
you turn the wheel. They have no clue you are turning the wheel rather than
the aircraft being out of trim.

Old February 12th 04, 07:03 AM
Tony Woolner

We were flying along with the autopilot on. I tried to turn the plane to the
left but it was fighting the controls. How do you disconnect the autopilot?
A friend told me when you turn the plane it should disconnect automatically.
I guess you just have to turn the switch off to stop the autopilot?

"James M. Knox" wrote:

Tony Woolner wrote in
:

Old February 12th 04, 10:34 PM
gross_arrow

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message ...
"Tony Woolner" wrote in message ...
We were flying along with the autopilot on. I tried to turn the plane to the
left but it was fighting the controls. How do you disconnect the autopilot?
A friend told me when you turn the plane it should disconnect automatically.
I guess you just have to turn the switch off to stop the autopilot?

You really need to read the manual before attempting to fly a plane with an
autopilot. Your friend is full of it. Most autopilots do not disconnect when
you turn the wheel. They have no clue you are turning the wheel rather than
the aircraft being out of trim.

ron is exactly right.

in addition, if you'll check out century's website, you'll find no mention of
a century 21 autopilot (hence the earlier responder's quip about the
neighborhoods -- century 21 is a real estate firm.)

the website lists the century i, iib, iii, 41, 2000 and the triden autopilot
systems (the iib and iii are no longer in production, since 2001.) it is
difficult to guess which one is meant when it is called the 21 -- most
likely the iib (since many warriors had this available from the factory as
an option), but it could be the 41 (one digit wrong) or the 2000 (starts
with a 2). without knowing which one it was, and possible other details
about the installation (some have a yoke-mounted quick-disconnect
switch or button), it is nearly impossible to answer the question.

g_a
Old February 13th 04, 04:09 PM
Dave Butler

gross_arrow wrote:

in addition, if you'll check out century's website, you'll find no mention of
a century 21 autopilot (hence the earlier responder's quip about the
neighborhoods -- century 21 is a real estate firm.)

If you'll check out my aircraft's panel, you'll find it has a Century 21
autopilot, Century's web site notwithstanding.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old February 13th 04, 05:24 PM
gross_arrow

thanks to dave butler, who pointed out my ignorance.

i have now seen pictures (on the web) of the century 21
autopilot. it must have been a very short run, because it
seems odd to me that century lists the iib and the iii, which
appear much older designs than the 21 (showing them as
discontinued), but have no product listing for the 21. they
do, however, show a service manual for one at $200.

apologies for my ignorance.
(dave, i tried to email you, but it bounced.)

g_a

Old February 13th 04, 06:11 PM
Ron Natalie

"gross_arrow" wrote in message om...
thanks to dave butler, who pointed out my ignorance.

i have now seen pictures (on the web) of the century 21
autopilot. it must have been a very short run, because it
seems odd to me that century lists the iib and the iii, which
appear much older designs than the 21 (showing them as
discontinued), but have no product listing for the 21. they
do, however, show a service manual for one at $200.

Their tech ref index actually does list the 21 as a model.

Question about center-line push-pull engine configuration Shin Gou Home Built 4 June 7th 04 05:57 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM
Engine Overhaul Tony Owning 2 August 28th 03 06:03 AM
When does an engine needs an overhaul? Victor Owning 9 August 15th 03 04:17 PM