A-65 mechanic question

Old May 24th 05, 11:23 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default A-65 mechanic question

My A-65 had the lower half redone.
At operating temp. and at idle, the oil pressure is certainly below
15PSI and may be below 10.
I asked the company that did the work and they replied "we don't worry
about low pressure at idle".
Continental says a minimum of 10PSI.
I'll get my A&P to put a real pressure gauge on to see what the
pressure is.
In your experience, does idle typically produce less than 15PSI or am
I looking at a problem?
Old May 25th 05, 05:58 PM
Bertie the Bunyip

Michael Horowitz
:

My A-65 had the lower half redone.
At operating temp. and at idle, the oil pressure is certainly below
15PSI and may be below 10.
I asked the company that did the work and they replied "we don't worry
about low pressure at idle".
Continental says a minimum of 10PSI.
I'll get my A&P to put a real pressure gauge on to see what the
pressure is.
In your experience, does idle typically produce less than 15PSI or am
I looking at a problem?

If it's just had a bottom overhaul and broken in, you should see a bit
under thirty at an idle of around 500 rpm if you have healthy oil pressure
at higher power settings. Down to twenty might be reasonable, but I'd say
something is wrong if you have less than ten at idle. Might very well be
your gauge though, as you say.. ..
Old May 25th 05, 08:41 PM
Philippe

Michael Horowitz wrote:

My A-65 had the lower half redone.
At operating temp. and at idle, the oil pressure is certainly below
15PSI and may be below 10.
I asked the company that did the work and they replied "we don't worry
about low pressure at idle".
Continental says a minimum of 10PSI.
I'll get my A&P to put a real pressure gauge on to see what the
pressure is.
In your experience, does idle typically produce less than 15PSI or am
I looking at a problem?

spring oil pressure relief valve P/N 21352

Just install a new spring and you get higher oil press.
I do that and my pressure jump to the high side of the normal range.
It cost me 2 euros (2.6$) for this paperless new spring.
The new spring was 1" longer than the 40 year old one.

If it don't work, you may suspect your engine bearings are in poor
condition.

By
--
Pub: http://www.slowfood.fr/france
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old May 26th 05, 01:27 AM
Michael Horowitz

Philippe wrote:

Michael Horowitz wrote:

[...]

Philippe - doesnt that relief valve control the upper limit i.e. opens
at pressures greater than 35psi? - Mike

Old May 26th 05, 04:21 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:41:27 +0200, Philippe wrote:

Just install a new spring and you get higher oil press.
I do that and my pressure jump to the high side of the normal range.
It cost me 2 euros (2.6$) for this paperless new spring.
The new spring was 1" longer than the 40 year old one.

There are other potential reasons for low A-65 oil pressure. See the third
paragraph:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm#studs

Ron Wanttaja

Old May 26th 05, 06:22 AM
Philippe

Michael Horowitz wrote:

spring oil pressure relief valve P/N 21352

Philippe - doesnt that relief valve control the upper limit i.e. opens
at pressures greater than 35psi? - Mike

I agree but with a very weak spring, it work for me... Why not try this
first? ....

By

Old May 27th 05, 06:56 AM
Philippe

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

spring oil pressure relief valve P/N 21352

Philippe - doesnt that relief valve control the upper limit i.e. opens
at pressures greater than 35psi? - Mike

I agree but with a very weak spring, it work for me... Why not try this
first? ....

If you have a weak spring, your higher power settign OP will also be low.

Yes, it was...

Old May 27th 05, 07:17 AM
Bertie the Bunyip

Philippe
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

spring oil pressure relief valve P/N 21352

Philippe - doesnt that relief valve control the upper limit i.e.
opens at pressures greater than 35psi? - Mike

I agree but with a very weak spring, it work for me... Why not try
this first? ....

If you have a weak spring, your higher power settign OP will also be
low.

Yes, it was...

He said his wasn't..

Bertie
Old May 27th 05, 07:18 AM
Bertie the Bunyip

Philippe
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

spring oil pressure relief valve P/N 21352

Philippe - doesnt that relief valve control the upper limit i.e.
opens at pressures greater than 35psi? - Mike

I agree but with a very weak spring, it work for me... Why not try
this first? ....

If you have a weak spring, your higher power settign OP will also be
low.

Yes, it was...

oops, sorry, he didn't say it was normal, but he didn't say it wasn't...

Bertie

182RG question Paul Anton Owning 11 May 16th 05 09:45 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
molding plexiglas websites? [email protected] Owning 44 February 17th 05 09:33 PM