Changed the oil today...

Old January 6th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Default Changed the oil today...

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:17:04 -0600, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

It all sounds like a lot of work, storing the used oil, taking it to the
dump (or having a large holding tank). My mechanic does an oil change with
10 qts and a new filter for around $125.00.

I can buy oil in bulk for around 3.50 a quart, and a filter is around 20.00
(as far as I remember). With his shop helper he can do the change in an
hour, while it takes me around twice as long doing it alone. Add in the
cost, time, and hassle of storing the used oil or going to the dump to get
rid of it, the price may just break even. (Three plus hours of time to do
the job and get rid of the oil may be worth the extra 55.00)

It is three hours that could be spent flying, sleeping, drinking beer, or
doing some other worthwhile activity like helping coach my son's hockey
team, etc.

Three hours?
Step one ...go fly half hour, hour, what ever
Step two, put plane back in hangar after flying.
Step three. Hook 2' of garden hose to quick drain
Step four: Set 5 gallon bucket under hose.
Step six: Open quick drain.
Step seven have cup of coffee or bottle of pop.
Step 8: Close quick drain
Step 9: Remove hose from quick drain and move it and oil bucket out of
way.
Step 10: Add oil.
Step 11. Put top on oil bucket and set where I'll remember it.

Drop oil off at FBO or take to any of the local auto parts stores on
way home.

Total time for step one through 11 less than half an hour.
Time to drop off oil about 5 minutes if you don't count the inevitable
BS session that will last two hours at FBO. Auto parts store time is
less than 10 minutes without any BS session.

Ahhh no, I didn't forget the filter. I fly an "old" airplane. I just
check for chunks in the screen. Analysis kit is between $12 and $15
Filters on a Bo add about 5 minutes ...unless you drop it. Then it
takes about 10 minutes to clean up the mess.

I still favor the idea of driving down a rural road at night and dribbling
out a little at a time. It helps keep the dust down in summer. (at least
that's what they said when I saw them do it in a grass strip in Vermont,
where I learned to fly).

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 6th 07, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On 3 Jan 2007 16:51:39 -0800, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

...in my hangar.

...on January 3rd...

...in a light jacket...

...in Iowa....

Is this the twilight zone, or global warming? Either way, I'm loving
it!

Problem is, mother nature is good at evening things out and collecting
interest on pay back.
Out West they are looking at lots of snow, big storms, and super
winds. OTOH here in lower Michigan where it was 50 today when it
should be about 28 we had 4" of snow and very cold temps way back in
October.

My daughter lives on the second range in CO WSW of Boulder. They had
three feet just before Christmas (but were in Mexico), Two more feet
this past week and they are looking at about 16 inches out of the one
just moving out. Almost 6 1/2 feet in just two weeks.

:-)

Old January 6th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Ahhh no, I didn't forget the filter. I fly an "old" airplane. I just
check for chunks in the screen.

Ah. Therein lies the rub -- it's the damned filter that adds an hour
to the process, even with our Airwolf remote mount. (It was 90
minutes, and a LOT more mess, before that trick pony was installed --
best thing I ever added to the plane...)

First you cut the safety wire. Then (in my case) unscrew the pipe
clamp around the filter that holds a little piece of rubber between the
filter and the fire wall. (This prevents the filter from hanging free
and vibrating -- a little mod my A&P added that works great.)

Then you unscrew the (thank God, now vertical -- it was formerly
mounted sideways) oil filter. No matter what, this is a mess, but I've
devised a milk jug device that catches most of the spillage. Then you
have to stand there and wait anywhere from 30 seconds to four minutes
before the oil stops running out, or you'll be cleaning the floor (and
the bottom of the cowl) when you're done.

Then it's off to the drain pan, where you must wait for the filter to
mostly drain. This can take 10 to 15 minutes, but woe to you who
doesn't wait before proceeding to the next step.

Then it's to the filter cutter. This adds another few minutes, while
you turn the greasy pig in the vise. Eventually it pops open like a
can of Campbell's soup -- then you've got to take your box cutter and
start cutting around the edge to get the filter paper out.

Once that's done (assuming you haven't cut your pinky off -- razor
blades and slippery stuff don't mix well), you can carefully unravel
the folds over the garbage can. (See above about draining thoroughly).
Then it's out into the sun, or under a bright light to look for metal.

If you've ever seen an engine making metal (ours was, at the pre-buy
inspection, back in '02) you know what you're looking for -- and it's
unmistakeable. You hold your breath while you carefully examine the
folds, knowing that this is the $20,000 moment of truth.

Assuming all is clean, you may then celebrate another 25 - 50 hours of
trouble-free engine life.

I enjoy changing the oil, but it isn't a 20 minute process. Usually at
this time of year I bite the bullet and pay my A&P to do it -- but this
year that's been unnecessary, thanks to the fantastic weather.

Now today it's back in the 20s, but sunny. Still no snow. Weird.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 6th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Now today it's back in the 20s, but sunny. Still no snow. Weird.

It is 54 here in PA today. Amazing. I just hope the pattern doesn't
move east in February and dump on us for two months before spring!

Matt
Old January 7th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Then it's to the filter cutter. This adds another few minutes, while
you turn the greasy pig in the vise. Eventually it pops open like a
can of Campbell's soup -- then you've got to take your box cutter and
start cutting around the edge to get the filter paper out.

box cutter?

Dedicate a hacksaw... way easier.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old January 7th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Now today it's back in the 20s, but sunny. Still no snow. Weird.

It is 54 here in PA today. Amazing. I just hope the pattern doesn't
move east in February and dump on us for two months before spring!

By 2 PM today it was in the 50s again. I did some work on the new
"Green Grape" (our new Toyota fuel truck) in shirtsleeves.

Astounding. It just can't last.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 7th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On 6 Jan 2007 06:50:33 -0800, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Ahhh no, I didn't forget the filter. I fly an "old" airplane. I just
check for chunks in the screen.

Ah. Therein lies the rub -- it's the damned filter that adds an hour
to the process, even with our Airwolf remote mount. (It was 90
minutes, and a LOT more mess, before that trick pony was installed --
best thing I ever added to the plane...)

As "I recall" (Please note weasel words) when I was flying the
Cherokee 180 which had a so called spin off filter, after opening the
quick drain, we'd grab the wire with a pair of pliers and "pull".
Strap wrench around the filter to break it loose, and with a big wad
of paper towls around the lower half at the front of the filter we'd
turn it out. (spinning produced a real mess). If you held your mouth
just right, said the right incantations, AND the filter didn't slip as
you tipped it drippy end up this part was about 5 minutes.

It's been too long to remember how the mechanic showd us how to open
the filter but it didn't take him two minutes to split the filter,
pull out a chunk of paper, unfold it and check for metal. What ever it
was it I always think of an ax :-)) It was sharp, fast, and efficient
although the filter wasn't exactly pretty afterwards.

First you cut the safety wire. Then (in my case) unscrew the pipe
clamp around the filter that holds a little piece of rubber between the
filter and the fire wall. (This prevents the filter from hanging free
and vibrating -- a little mod my A&P added that works great.)

Then you unscrew the (thank God, now vertical -- it was formerly
mounted sideways) oil filter. No matter what, this is a mess, but I've
devised a milk jug device that catches most of the spillage. Then you
have to stand there and wait anywhere from 30 seconds to four minutes
before the oil stops running out, or you'll be cleaning the floor (and
the bottom of the cowl) when you're done.

Remember it only takes less than a spoon full to cover the entire
bottom Then it's off to the drain pan, where you must wait for the
filter to

If you've ever seen an engine making metal (ours was, at the pre-buy
inspection, back in '02) you know what you're looking for -- and it's
unmistakeable. You hold your breath while you carefully examine the
folds, knowing that this is the $20,000 moment of truth.

Just remember, ignorance is bliss. It may be dangerous but it's still
bliss.

Assuming all is clean, you may then celebrate another 25 - 50 hours of
trouble-free engine life.of the airplane in seconds.:-))

I enjoy changing the oil, but it isn't a 20 minute process. Usually at

I used to rebuild tractor engines between seasons. I kinda got tired
of changing rings, sleeves, bearings, oil, and what ever in unheated
barns in the middle of winter. Some where I went wrong and ended up
rebuilding V-8s in poorly heated or poorly cooled buildings (you pick
the season) until I ended up with a good job. Still it was fixing
things (Industrial instrumentation) BUT it did pay a whale of a lot
more. After 26 years I finally quite and went back to get a 4-year
degree. For the next 7 years I got to stay relatively clean and the
last 5 of those I was actually a boss. (at work)That's boss as no
longer at the bottom of the food chain but a long way from the top.

Now I'm retired. I have to fix our cars, lawn mowers, snow blowers,
yard tractors, furnace, water heater, (I don't do airconditioners or
windows...well I did make up a set of storm windows though) my
radios, my ham antenna system, our 4 computers (which I also built and
configured) These 4 computers and gigabit network are darn near a full
time job.
I've really gotten tired of fixing things before I can use them and
oil changes fall into that category too:-)).

Still, I have one of those LP fired, catalytic heaters at about 50,000
BTU. It looks like a big pair of head lights perched atop that gas
cylinder so at least one side of me stays warm while doing winter oil
changes. That and they don't take long in the Deb. The only messy
part is trying to take the sample out of the hose with a good stream
of *HOT* oil running. The engine only has to hold up for a few more
changes and it'll be TBO. Man, if they'd come out with a 300 HP diesel
that'd fit I think I'd go the money. Course then I'd have to update
the panel and updating the panel is more than the plane's current
value.

BTW the city did go ahead and pass the ordinance to charge mechanics
not based on the field $25 for each job they do. That's going to end
up with a lot of pilots doing their own work. Flying some where else
and getting some one to sign it off. However there is nothing that
says he can't watch while I do the work and then sign it off:-))

Guess I need to send a copy of the new rules to the AOPA and see what
they say about the rules.

OTOH at my age it takes as much maintenance to keep me going as it
does the Deb and I'm only 20 years older than it.

I could use the money and I don't fly near as much as I'd like due to
spending so much time fixing things around here.

Old January 7th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:05:43 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote:

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Then it's to the filter cutter. This adds another few minutes, while
you turn the greasy pig in the vise. Eventually it pops open like a
can of Campbell's soup -- then you've got to take your box cutter and
start cutting around the edge to get the filter paper out.

box cutter?

Dedicate a hacksaw... way easier.

How do you seperate the filings from the hack saw from the engine
filings?

Old January 7th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Roger wrote:

box cutter?

Dedicate a hacksaw... way easier.

How do you seperate the filings from the hack saw from the engine
filings?

"Dedicate" means only use the hacksaw for cutting the paper filter.
Don't use the hacksaw for anything else - thus no filings to seperate.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old January 7th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

It's 27 outside right now and didn't break 40 today with an inch of ice
pellets still on the ground from last Friday's storm. Revel in it, folks.
Talk to you in February...

Jim

ups.com...