B-57 in Viet Nam

Old October 10th 03, 03:57 PM
Chris Spierings

Default B-57 in Viet Nam

I've already done a little bit of googling on this topic but it really
didn't net much information.

I'd like to learn more about the various roles and missions the B-57 was
used for in Viet Nam. Can anyone point to written material or resources
that might be worth having a look at?

I have a friend who was a USAF nav in the 50s who claims the plane was
quite manuverable for something of its size. I'd like to learn more.

Thanks

Chris

Old October 10th 03, 04:19 PM
Juvat

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Chris
Spierings blurted out:

I'd like to learn more about the various roles and missions the B-57 was
used for in Viet Nam. Can anyone point to written material or resources
that might be worth having a look at?

Specifically for SEA look for Robert C. Mikesh's "B-57 Canberra at War
1964-1972." **or** "Martin B-57 Canberra: The Complete Record."

The second one is a re-titled version of the first, this time
published by Schiffer. Mikesh was a B-57 pilot and at one time the
Curator of the NASM.

Juvat

Old October 10th 03, 04:22 PM
OXMORON1

Chris asked:
Can anyone point to written material or resources
that might be worth having a look at?

The best "single" source work on the B-57 is probably Robert Mikesh's "Canberra
at War". There are two versions out, they ae essentially the same book, just a
later edition IIRC.

If you have done a "Google" then you have probably found the B-57 homepage.
Also look at the UK original source and use by the British, Argentines and
Pakistanis.

The B-57 was a highly usefull a/c for it's era and electronics capabilities.
That you can translate as "map reading and the ADF got pretty good reception"
until the later EB-57 and B-57G. The RB-57E did great work in SEA, The B-57B
could loiter for hours ( well at least 1.5 ) witing on targets.
Definitely not a stealth a/c, radar return bigger than hell from the wide chord
wing.
There was a posting on this group yesterday about NASA using their a/c to
monitor the next round of shuttle launches.

oxmoron1
MFE
Old October 10th 03, 04:55 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:19:05 GMT, Juvat
wrote:

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Chris
Spierings blurted out:

I'd like to learn more about the various roles and missions the B-57 was
used for in Viet Nam. Can anyone point to written material or resources
that might be worth having a look at?

Specifically for SEA look for Robert C. Mikesh's "B-57 Canberra at War
1964-1972." **or** "Martin B-57 Canberra: The Complete Record."

The second one is a re-titled version of the first, this time
published by Schiffer. Mikesh was a B-57 pilot and at one time the
Curator of the NASM.

Juvat

Here's a link: http://www.b-57canberra.org/vietnam.htm

You might also check Amazon
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...846&vi=reviews)
for info about Elaine Shepard's book "Doom Pussy".

There were two B-57 USAF squadrons rotating out of the Phillipines,
the 8th and the 13th TBS. The 8th called themselves Doom Pussy and the
13th were "the Devil's Own Grim Reapers." In combat they were
call-sign Red Bird and Yellow Bird. Most of the time they deployed to
Phan Rang, but they also spent time at Danang and Bien Hoa.

There was also an RAAF deployment of Canberras during the early part
of the war.

Old October 10th 03, 08:53 PM
guy wastiaux

I remember seing an RAF Canberra (dunno the exact type though) flying at
RIAT 2000 if I remember correctly, and it seemed to be quite agile
But that doesn't provide you w/ an answer I guess

--
Guy Wastiaux
aka FauCon PoiLu

Old October 10th 03, 09:05 PM
Chris Spierings

Ed, Juvat and Oxmoron,

Thanks for the information. The better half is going make some noise
about another Amazon purchase if I can find either of those titles.

I've become interested in the plane because I'm looking for a new RC
project to design and build. THat big wing will mean a light wing
be an issue should I lose one of the engines. I guess time will tell.
In the mean time learning more about the plane and the missions will be fun.

Thanks again.

Chris

Old October 10th 03, 09:19 PM
OXMORON1

Chris wrote:
I've become interested in the plane because I'm looking for a new RC
project to design and build. THat big wing will mean a light wing
be an issue should I lose one of the engines

Chris, email me. I may have something you might use.

Oxmoron1
Old October 11th 03, 07:08 AM
OXMORON1

Frank wrote:
In the 70-71 timeframe there was a unit of B-57G's flying out of
Ubon, supposedly doing interdiction on the HCM trail.
Umpteenth-hand knowledge at the time said they were not well
suited for that job.

Wasn't so much as unsuited as they were very high maintenance on the systems.
Also they were darned near limited to level bombing due to the systems in use.
By the time the G's were given to the Kansas ANG (190th Bomb"ardment" Group,
Forbes Field, Topeka) the a/c were almost held together with spit and bailing
wire.
The G was an ugly POS anyway and the fun flying was taken away by the system
sensitivity.

Oxmoron1
MFE.
Old October 11th 03, 07:20 AM
Buzzer

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:05:39 -0500, Chris Spierings
wrote:

Ed, Juvat and Oxmoron,

Thanks for the information. The better half is going make some noise
about another Amazon purchase if I can find either of those titles.

I've become interested in the plane because I'm looking for a new RC
project to design and build. THat big wing will mean a light wing
be an issue should I lose one of the engines.

EB-57 at least right engine out never turn right. Left out never turn
left. They lost one during an open house shortly before I arrived at
Holloman AFB, N.M. Commander of our squadron had a hard time talking
about it. A young pilot that forgot. Guess he was doing okay and then
turned into the dead engine. Blink of an eye right into the ground..

Old October 11th 03, 03:52 PM
Scott R. Wilson

Anyone of you guys ever read "The Doom Pussies"? It was a book about B-57
ops in Vietnam. I picked up a paperback copy t many, many years ago at a
flea market. It's been a long time, but I remember it as a very good read.
Scott Wilson