Owning in retirement

Old April 22nd 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Owning in retirement

I am getting close to this event. I was wondering how those that have
already retired keep an airplane. I am fortunate that I have a
moderately priced hangar, reasonable (this is relative) fuel for my
area, and perform owner assisted annuals. But, I am concerned on keeping
the flying going and not feel that I have to let it sit more than I
should. I have always been the sole owner since I purchased it over 10
years ago. Thanks.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old April 22nd 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

Perhaps adding a trusted pilot friend to your insurance so he/she is
named, and they can fly your plane just for filling it with gas and
paying any extra insurance cost.
--
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then
there'd be peace.
Old April 22nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

Oh, and also try CamGuard http://www.aslcamguard.com/
Got a good review from Aviation Consumer
http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issu...rs/5541-1.html
(have to be a subscriber)
--
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror,
because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.
Old April 22nd 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Ross wrote:

I am getting close to this event. I was wondering how those that have
already retired keep an airplane. I am fortunate that I have a
moderately priced hangar, reasonable (this is relative) fuel for my
area, and perform owner assisted annuals. But, I am concerned on keeping
the flying going and not feel that I have to let it sit more than I
should. I have always been the sole owner since I purchased it over 10
years ago. Thanks.

I always made the max contributions to my 401(K) plan, retired early,
sold my 3-BR 2.5 bath townhome in CA, bought a 3 BR, 3 BA hangar homw,
with pool in FL. The 401(K), plus pension, plus Social Security, less
the state income tax and Social Security tax, enables me to do it.

Old April 22nd 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 22, 7:24*am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,

I always made the max contributions to my 401(K) plan, retired early,
sold my 3-BR 2.5 bath townhome in CA, bought a 3 BR, 3 BA hangar homw,
with pool in FL. The 401(K), plus pension, plus Social Security, less
the state income tax and Social Security tax, enables me to do it.

*Your not paying state income tax*???? Christ, I just paid the state
of California over $30,000 in income tax. Man, I need to get some of
that FL myself. I'm paying $600/month in property taxes for my house
and I can't even write it off (AMT). I just bought a used boat and had
to pay almost $2000 in use tax. I think I'm getting the short end.

-Robert

Old April 22nd 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Apr 22, 7:24*am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,

I always made the max contributions to my 401(K) plan, retired early,
sold my 3-BR 2.5 bath townhome in CA, bought a 3 BR, 3 BA hangar homw,
with pool in FL. The 401(K), plus pension, plus Social Security, less
the state income tax and Social Security tax, enables me to do it.

*Your not paying state income tax*???? Christ, I just paid the state
of California over $30,000 in income tax. Man, I need to get some of
that FL myself. I'm paying $600/month in property taxes for my house
and I can't even write it off (AMT). I just bought a used boat and had
to pay almost $2000 in use tax. I think I'm getting the short end.

-Robert

That's why we escaped from the People's Republik of Kalifornia! THere is
also no "unsecured personal property tax" on boats, airplanes, etc. Auto
tag is $30 per year. Real property tax, however, is about 3%.

Old April 22nd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Apr 22, 7:24 am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,

I always made the max contributions to my 401(K) plan, retired early,
sold my 3-BR 2.5 bath townhome in CA, bought a 3 BR, 3 BA hangar homw,
with pool in FL. The 401(K), plus pension, plus Social Security, less
the state income tax and Social Security tax, enables me to do it.

*Your not paying state income tax*???? Christ, I just paid the state
of California over $30,000 in income tax. Man, I need to get some of
that FL myself. I'm paying $600/month in property taxes for my house
and I can't even write it off (AMT). I just bought a used boat and had
to pay almost $2000 in use tax. I think I'm getting the short end.

-Robert

We in TX do not pay state income tax either.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old April 23rd 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:

*Your not paying state income tax*???? Christ, I just paid the state
of California over $30,000 in income tax.

How can you not know this? There are a handful of states that do not
have state income tax. WA, WY, TX, SD, FL, AL and NV. NH and TN only
tax dividend income. California has some nice scenery but people that
actually live there have lost their ever lovin' minds.
Old April 23rd 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 23, 9:27*am, Newps wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
*Your not paying state income tax*???? Christ, I just paid the state
of California over $30,000 in income tax.

How can you not know this? *There are a handful of states that do not
have state income tax. *WA, WY, TX, SD, FL, AL and NV. *NH and TN only
tax dividend income. *California has some nice scenery but people that
actually live there have lost their ever lovin' minds.

I wonder if that will stay the same. WA is becoming so liberal I can't
imagine them not wanting more gov't money. I remember about 10 years
ago FL talking about an income tax (so they could tax those rich
*******s moving down from NY).

-Robert
Old April 23rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

States that have no income tax are usually fiercely anti income tax. FL
will never change as the retirees are their golden goose, my folks live
there in the winter. Most retirees are not residents of Florida
anyways, they are snowbirds who keep their legal residency somewhere else.