Glass Repair and Vacuum Pumps

Old March 13th 10, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Default Glass Repair and Vacuum Pumps

It was years ago. The question popped up on r.a.h
How to make a low cost vacuum pump.
I remembered this when talking to my son today.
He was fixing a spider web chip on his windshield.
He mentioned the thumbtack, the double sided adhesive gasket, the
funnel cap. The syringe and the UV acrylic.
Syringe? I needed to fix a chip too, so I bought a kit (around $10)
And there it was: the 5 or 10 cc throw away syringe, with the x cross
section stem, with two notches on it, and a spring to register in either
notch.

This kit looked like the work of an engineer. The most utility for the
least cost.
First apply the acrylic liquid - in the shade, then apply the syringe,
pulling the plunger out into the notch, to apply 10 minutes of suck.
Then release the syringe, and push the plunger into the other notch, to
apply 20 minutes of blow, then remove the gadgets, and let the acrylic
cook in UV.

Such a neat use of a syringe. That's the kind of idea Jim could have
used then. Come to think of it - maybe he DID. For checking a pressure
sensor, or some such.

Brian W. Altus OK
Old March 13th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
vaughn[_3_]

"brian whatcott" wrote in message
It was years ago. The question popped up on r.a.h
How to make a low cost vacuum pump.

Yep, that windshield repair kit sounds good. Some enlightened auto insurance
companies will fix a chip "free" (without applying your deductible) just to keep
the problem from growing into an expensive windshield replacement.

For a general purpose vacuum pump, I use a compressor out of an old window AC
unit. Mine has lasted for many years of occasional use. I store it sealed up
in a plastic 5-gallon bucket.

Vaughn

Old March 13th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"vaughn" wrote in message

"brian whatcott" wrote in message
It was years ago. The question popped up on r.a.h
How to make a low cost vacuum pump.

Yep, that windshield repair kit sounds good. Some enlightened auto
insurance companies will fix a chip "free" (without applying your
deductible) just to keep the problem from growing into an expensive
windshield replacement.

For a general purpose vacuum pump, I use a compressor out of an old window
AC unit. Mine has lasted for many years of occasional use. I store it
sealed up in a plastic 5-gallon bucket.

Vaughn

True, some will, and others will encourage a replacement as soon as it's
even remotely warranted. The truth is that most automobile windshields are
surprisingly cheap today--after adjusting for inflation, they are just a few
cents on the dollar of what they were forty years ago. Even the classic car
windshields have gone down a lot after abjusting for inflation; but the
greater difference is in the mounting methods on the newer (meaning the last
thirth or more years) cars--the replacement windshield will not be under
stress.

Peter

Old March 30th 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 13, 5:22*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
It was years ago. *The question popped up on r.a.h
* How to make a low cost vacuum pump.
I remembered this when talking to my son today.
He was fixing a spider web chip on his windshield.
* ...

With good head a water aspirator can give you a pretty
decent vacuum (down to a quarter atmosphere or so)
and will also quickly evacuate a large volume.

Last I looked you could buy a plastic model for under
$20.00. If you need a harder vacuum, it would still be
suitable for a first stage.

Old March 30th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 13, 6:57*pm, "vaughn" wrote:

Yep, that windshield repair kit sounds good. *Some enlightened auto insurance
companies will fix a chip "free" (without applying your deductible) just to keep
the problem from growing into an expensive windshield replacement.

..

Some comprehensive coverage will replace a windshield for free. I've
had
it done.

--

FF

Rapco 215/216 vacuum pumps? Jim Burns Owning 9 May 1st 06 06:29 PM
Vacuum pumps vk6ad Owning 1 March 10th 06 03:23 PM
Problems with Rapco dry vacuum pumps. abripl Home Built 28 September 25th 05 05:29 AM
Wet Vacuum Pumps DBlumel Home Built 4 August 19th 04 08:27 AM
Dual vacuum pumps bad news Javier Henderson Owning 3 May 7th 04 09:06 PM