SBD Makes Deadstick Landing

Old November 20th 04, 04:47 PM
Dan Nafe

In article . net,
"Chip Jones" wrote:

"Dan Nafe" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Chip Jones" wrote:

"Dan Nafe" wrote in message
In article ,
"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote:

What's around Atlanta the requires a flight level of 12,500 ft.?

Their precious class b airspace. Those controllers are real dicks

about
vfr south to north transitions

You fly around Atlanta alot, do ya? I find the pilots there to be real
dicks about near-midairs...

Chip, ZTL

Heh, heh, heh, all of my really close "near-midairs" have been while I
and the other aircraft were on IFR flight plans. Yikes!

Yikes! Well, I'd be a dick about those too.

I still don't get the Atlanta situation. Departing for Florida out of
PDK is no problem, they clear you into the class b, then vector you over
the top of Hartsfield at 5,000. No problems.

Coming into PDK from Florida is a huge problem, they say "remain clear
of the class b". This puts you scudding under the approach or departure
paths of the heavys going around the east end of Hartsfield. Why not let
vfr traffic go over the top of hartsfield at 6,000?

Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. Depends on traffic and controller
workload.

When there is moderate or greater traffic in the terminal area (which for
Atlanta is to say, usually), it is easier on the satellite controller to
keep you scudding VFR own nav under the arrival/departure paths of the big
guys going in or out of ATL. Nothing dangerous about that, right? "Remain
clear of the Class B" keeps the controller from having to provide Class B
services to you in the face of the IFR and other VFR's he has put over ATL
at 5000. In effect, if he's running PDK south departures out over the ATL
vortac, why would he want to run north bound PDK arrivals over the same fix
at a higher atltitude, knowing that you will have to descend crossing ATL
right in the face of guys climbing the other way in order to get down into
PDK? Also, he has to consider the ATL departures on the north runways that
are making turns downwind as they climb for departure gates on the opposite
end of the terminal area. Say the air carrier guys departing to the west,
making a climbing right turn to the east and climbing to ten thousand as
they boresite the east departure gates at EAONE and EATWO. They can top the
southbound guys at 5000 over ATL. They can probably top traffic over ATL at
6000 too. But they may not be able to top 7000 over ATL, especially if we
throw some clouds in the mix to shake up the VFR traffic picture. Plus,
this poor satellite sector SOB is running traffic in and out of FTY, PDK,
RYY, MGE, LZU, 47A and all of the smaller fields. He's got traffic zipping
all over the place when its rolling. "Remain clear of the class B"
(horrible phraseology IMO) saves him a lot of heartburn and provides for the
greater (and safer) good to the most users.

Chip, ZTL

To make a long story endless, I wind up getting the weather for Atlanta
from FSS when crossing into Georgian airspace, then filing IFR with Jax
Center before leaving their airspace, even when it is severe clear. This
has the unintended consiquence of INCREASING the controller's workload!

Just venting!
Old November 22nd 04, 04:49 AM
Chip Jones

"Dan Nafe" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Chip Jones" wrote:

"Dan Nafe" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Chip Jones" wrote:

"Dan Nafe" wrote in message
In article ,
"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote:

[...]

Dontcha love the government, hehehe... Perfect FAA paradox.

Chip, ZTL