When does IFR begin in VFR?

Old February 8th 05, 02:19 PM
Dave Butler

Wizard of Draws wrote:

Craft is not exactly correct since I got the transponder code first. It was
a monkey wrench that I didn't really expect since I normally get clearance
on the ground in CRAFT order. It's been quite a while since I opened a plan
in the air and 3 months since I've flown at all. A lot of rust to work off.

I think you didn't get the information in CRAFT order because you were not being
issued a clearance, just a VFR squawk.
Old February 8th 05, 03:28 PM
Roy Smith

Dave Butler wrote:
I think you didn't get the information in CRAFT order because you
were not being issued a clearance, just a VFR squawk.

Actually, he did get it in CRAFT order. On any given transmission,
any or all of the elements are optional, but the ones that are given
will be in the right order. In this case, the only one included was
the T, and it was in the right order :-)

If you listen closely, you'll notice the pattern on every controller
transmission, even for trivial things:

"left on charlie, ground point eight" (route, frequency)

"cleared for takeoff, fly runway heading" (clearance limit, route)

"make a left downwind for 34, contact tower 118.57" (route, frequency)

The one exception I can think of is "Squawk VFR, frequency change
approved".
Old February 8th 05, 03:35 PM
Dave Butler

Roy Smith wrote:

If you listen closely, you'll notice the pattern on every controller
transmission, even for trivial things:

Quite so. Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out, Roy.
Old February 8th 05, 04:16 PM
Newps

The squawk was an IFR squawk. There's a difference. A VFR one won't
give controllers a low altitude alert, an IFR squawk will.

Old February 8th 05, 04:25 PM
Dave Butler

Newps wrote:
The squawk was an IFR squawk. There's a difference. A VFR one won't
give controllers a low altitude alert, an IFR squawk will.

How do you know it was an IFR squawk?
Old February 8th 05, 04:56 PM
Jose

A VFR one won't give controllers a low altitude alert, an IFR squawk will.

By VFR squawk do you mean just 1200, or do you mean any of a set of
codes which ATC tags as not an IFR aircraft?

Jose
--
Nothing is more powerful than a commercial interest.
Old February 9th 05, 03:31 AM
A Lieberman

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:25:23 -0500, Dave Butler wrote:

Newps wrote:
The squawk was an IFR squawk. There's a difference. A VFR one won't
give controllers a low altitude alert, an IFR squawk will.

How do you know it was an IFR squawk?

Dave

Though, I can't answer your question in regards to the post, I know that at
JAN, if I request local VFR, they will ask me to squawk 0101 through 0150.
If I ask for a local IFR clearance, they will have me squawk 0151 through
0199.

Maybe the same works for cross country trips, e.g last two digits for VFR
ends between certain numbers???

Allen