Hearing the alternator

Old February 2nd 04, 04:58 PM
Michael 182

Default Hearing the alternator

When I turn on the alternator in my '79 TR-182 I hear a faint highpitched
squeal through the headsets. No squeal when I just run on battery. Is there
a simple way to fix this?

TIA,

Michael

Old February 2nd 04, 05:41 PM
Michael 182

All right, I did some Google searching (sorry - I should have started there)
and now suspect that my problem is in the grounding. But where in the
system? Can I fix this, or is it back to the avionics shop?

Thanks,

Michael

Old February 2nd 04, 05:51 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Michael 182 wrote:

All right, I did some Google searching (sorry - I should have started there)
and now suspect that my problem is in the grounding. But where in the
system? Can I fix this, or is it back to the avionics shop?

One thing you can do yourself is to isolate the jacks. Buy special fiber washers
that have a double-thickness cylinder in the center. Remove each jack from the
panel, re-drill or ream the hole in the panel to fit the center section of the
isolation washer, and re-install the jack with a plain fiber washer in the front.
The two fiber washers keep any metal parts of the jack from touching the airframe,
so the only way the jack is grounded is the ground wire to the intercom.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

Old February 3rd 04, 04:54 AM
Michael 182

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Michael 182 wrote:

All right, I did some Google searching (sorry - I should have started

there)
and now suspect that my problem is in the grounding. But where in the
system? Can I fix this, or is it back to the avionics shop?

One thing you can do yourself is to isolate the jacks. Buy special fiber

washers
that have a double-thickness cylinder in the center. Remove each jack from

the
panel, re-drill or ream the hole in the panel to fit the center section of

the
isolation washer, and re-install the jack with a plain fiber washer in the

front.
The two fiber washers keep any metal parts of the jack from touching the

airframe,
so the only way the jack is grounded is the ground wire to the intercom.

Hate to be dense (not that I have a choice) but does the "double-thickness
cylinder in the center" mean something like a grommet?

Something like this?

http://www.marcorubber.com/grommets_commercial.htm

Thanks,

Michael

Old February 3rd 04, 06:41 AM
Tom Pappano

Michael 182 wrote:

[...]

They are called "shoulder washers", usally made of fiber or nylon.

Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA

Old February 3rd 04, 06:52 AM
Michael 182

"Tom Pappano" wrote in message
y.com...

They are called "shoulder washers", usally made of fiber or nylon.

Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA

Got it. Thanks,

Michael

Old February 3rd 04, 02:20 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Michael 182 wrote:

Hate to be dense (not that I have a choice) but does the "double-thickness
cylinder in the center" mean something like a grommet?

Something like one side of a grommet. When used in conjunction with the mating
flat washer, the two washers essentially form a grommet. IIRC, I bought the washers
for the jacks in my aircraft at a local electronics store, but I may have had to
order them.

Old February 4th 04, 06:31 PM
Paul Sengupta

I have a UK military headset plugged into a flying lead which comes
from the back of the centre console.

I have the whine, though it's not very noticeable until the alternator
is switched off and it goes away and you then notice its absence.

Paul