Google Maps

Old April 6th 05, 04:58 AM
MC

Default Google Maps

Anyone seen the new feature of Google

maps.google.com

search for your favorite airport identifier, then click on the satellite
view in the upper left hand corner.

Google keeps putting out amazing stuff.

Matt

Old April 6th 05, 07:27 AM
Ray

maps.google.com

search for your favorite airport identifier, then click on the satellite
view in the upper left hand corner.

Google keeps putting out amazing stuff.

Google's interface is nice, and I'm sure I'll be using this feature a lot in
the future. However, I'd just like to point out that this kind of
functionality has been around for almost a decade now at the site
terraserver.microsoft.com . I usually use terraserver to get a feel for the
surroundings before I fly to an unfamiliar airport.

Anyways, I think google's great, and I understand that they're really hot
now and therefore get a lot of media attention. For some reason though, all
the recent press coverage really annoys me. The cnn.com front page title
"privacy concerns as Google unveils satellite map feature" particularly
annoys me, since again, this is nothing new - it's just a more user friendly
interface.

- Ray

Old April 6th 05, 07:32 AM
Peter Duniho

"MC" wrote in message
[...]
Google keeps putting out amazing stuff.

That's just the "old" Keyhole tech, which Google recently purchased.

It's neat, but hardly ground-breaking at this point.

Old April 6th 05, 11:28 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:58:45 GMT, "MC" wrote:

search for your favorite airport identifier, then click on the satellite
view in the upper left hand corner.

It works okay with major airports, but my home field comes up blank. I
tried 8B8 (Lakes Region) in Wolfeboro NH and it brought up Lakes
Region General Hospital in Laconia across the lake! Good try, no
bannana.

Then I tried DAW in Rochester, and it gave me a bunch of choices, all
of them in or near Rochester. Curious logic: how can it pick the right
town out of the entire country and not narrow in on the airport
better?

Okay, now I try the satellite imagery. It's weird colors, and it fails
up when I zoom in real close. It looks a bit like Flight Sim at best.
Wouldn't be much help in navigation.

When I go to PSM Portsmouth NH I get splendid results, maybe because
of the blue of Great Bay. I even see the pond that my neighbor to the
north has in his front yard, and the "thatch" on the point of land to
my south.

I conclude that it's valuable for towered airports, less so for the
rest.

Thanks for the pointer!

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old April 6th 05, 12:00 PM
Denny

The coverage of the country at high resolution is geared more to the
higher density population areas and more to the cities... However, it
can be erratic... Our place in Florida on a Key is just offshore from a
high density population area, but is imaged in low res only... Can't
even pick out individual buildings...
Our home and office here in Michigan, in a low density rural area is,
however, imaged in high resolution... And I can see that the photo was
taken more than two years ago because the neighbors pond is not there -
and I can tell that it was taken during the last two weeks of May - or
possibly as late as the first week of June - from the crops in my
fields... I can see cars on the road, and my wife's Blazer parked
outside, and the dumpster in my parking lot, so the resolution is
pretty good.. But, if I did not know what her vehicle is I would not be
able visualize it from the resolution they are allowing us to see -
it's just a white rectangle...

For you younguns this is just ho hum, but for those of us who found
Thor Heyerdahl's voyage on the Kon Tiki to be spell binding and wanted
to be just like him, this is science fiction...

denny

Old April 6th 05, 02:04 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:58:45 GMT, "MC" wrote in
::

http://maps.google.com/

search for your favorite airport identifier, then click on the satellite
view in the upper left hand corner.

The Acme Mapper is useful for high resolution black and white
satellite images: http://mapper.acme.com/

For topographic maps, TopoZone is good: http://www.topozone.com/

Google keeps putting out amazing stuff.

Google's Library Project promises to be a giant step forward, if they
can get the copyright issues resolved:

http://www.print.google.com/googleprint/library.html
What is the Library Project?
Google Print makes offline information available online. As part
of this project, we're now working to digitize the book
collections of several major research libraries and make this
content searchable through Google Print alongside books provided
by publishers through our Publisher Program.

But virtually anonymous posting to Usenet through Google Groups
invites spammers. :-(

Old April 6th 05, 02:26 PM
John Harlow

MC wrote:
Anyone seen the new feature of Google

maps.google.com

Nothing compared to http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

A real GUI with which one can pan and zoom in realtime.

Old April 6th 05, 02:26 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:27:55 -0700, "Ray" wrote in
::

I usually use terraserver to get a feel for the
surroundings before I fly to an unfamiliar airport.

Airports along the California coast can be found on the California
Coastal Records Project web site:
http://www.californiacoastline.org/c...=0& year=2004
http://www.californiacoastline.org/c...=0&year= 2002
http://www.californiacoastline.org/c...=0&year= 2002

Talk about privacy issues:
http://www.californiacoastline.org/s...d/lawsuit.html
Old April 6th 05, 04:33 PM

John Harlow wrote:
MC wrote:
Anyone seen the new feature of Google

maps.google.com

Nothing compared to http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

A real GUI with which one can pan and zoom in realtime.

It's disappointing that an organization like NASA would develop such a
tool and make it operating system specific. The world does not revolve
around Bill Gates and Windoze.

Mike

Old April 6th 05, 05:31 PM
Matt Barrow

"Ray" wrote in message
maps.google.com

search for your favorite airport identifier, then click on the satellite
view in the upper left hand corner.

Google keeps putting out amazing stuff.

Google's interface is nice, and I'm sure I'll be using this feature a lot

in
the future. However, I'd just like to point out that this kind of
functionality has been around for almost a decade now at the site
terraserver.microsoft.com . I usually use terraserver to get a feel for

the
surroundings before I fly to an unfamiliar airport.

On Airnav.com, each airport listing has the following links:
Road maps at: MapQuest MapPoint Yahoo! Maps Google Rand McNally
Topographic chart at: TopoZone
Satellite photo at: TerraServer

I'd rather use AltaVisa and tell Google to shove their PC BS. :~)

Garmin gpsmap 76s airspace zone home made maps (follow up) Gilles_Sauvagnat Soaring 0 May 13th 04 08:41 PM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: How do you like your maps stitched? Kyler Laird General Aviation 24 December 10th 03 04:10 AM
3D topo ridge maps Joe Simmers Soaring 7 November 12th 03 06:29 PM
GOOGLE Spam Doug Simulators 10 September 28th 03 12:06 PM