Google Maps

Old April 6th 05, 05:34 PM
Matt Barrow

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:58:45 GMT, "MC" wrote:

search for your favorite airport identifier, then click on the satellite
view in the upper left hand corner.

It works okay with major airports, but my home field comes up blank. I
tried 8B8 (Lakes Region) in Wolfeboro NH and it brought up Lakes
Region General Hospital in Laconia across the lake! Good try, no
bannana.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/8B8 links to

http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image...Lon=-71.266180

Looks pretty good to me, Dan!

Old April 6th 05, 06:16 PM
George Patterson

Cub Driver wrote:

It works okay with major airports, but my home field comes up blank. I
tried 8B8 (Lakes Region) in Wolfeboro NH and it brought up Lakes
Region General Hospital in Laconia across the lake! Good try, no
bannana.

I got varying results. Entering "3N6" got me a list of stuff in Philadelphia.
Entering "47N" didn't get me anything recognizable. Entering "JFK" got me the
airport.

Then things went weird. Re-entering "3N6" got me a list that included the flight
school at Old Bridge. Entering "47N" got me a list which included the airport.

So, as far as I can tell, it works real well *if* you enter a major airport in
the area you wish to search and *then* search for the one you really want.

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.
Old April 6th 05, 08:42 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Martin Hotze said:
"MC" wrote:
Anyone seen the new feature of Google

nice tool for terrorists *gg* let's see how long it will be running before some
stupid ass sees it as a national threat.

Take a look at the Capitol Building in DC. As pixellated as a mob
informer on the TV news.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"There is always a way."
Old April 6th 05, 10:06 PM
John Galban

Cub Driver wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:58:45 GMT, "MC" wrote:

search for your favorite airport identifier, then click on the

satellite
view in the upper left hand corner.

It works okay with major airports, but my home field comes up blank.

I was looking for a nice color pic of my plane in its tiedown. I
have this old (mid 90s) one on my website that could use an update :

http://members.cox.net/jgalban/id41.htm

When I tried Google maps to look at my home field (KCHD, Chandler,
AZ), there's a cloud right over the top of the airport. How can this
be? It's not like clouds are all that common around here. Couldn't
they photograph on one of the other 300+ days/year when there's not a
cloud in sight?

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 6th 05, 10:33 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "John Galban" said:
I was looking for a nice color pic of my plane in its tiedown. I
have this old (mid 90s) one on my website that could use an update :

http://members.cox.net/jgalban/id41.htm

The only similar picture I have of one of our club's Archers and our Lance
is at
http://xcski.com/gallery/osh_going_there/oshkosh2

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The language that these files use is just like BASIC, only with all of
Old April 6th 05, 11:25 PM
Blueskies

wrote in message oups.com...

John Harlow wrote:
MC wrote:
Anyone seen the new feature of Google

maps.google.com

Nothing compared to http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

A real GUI with which one can pan and zoom in realtime.

It's disappointing that an organization like NASA would develop such a
tool and make it operating system specific. The world does not revolve
around Bill Gates and Windoze.

Mike

Yup, "dot net" required...no thank you...

Old April 7th 05, 10:52 AM
Cub Driver

http://www.airnav.com/airport/8B8 links to

http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image...Lon=-71.266180

Looks pretty good to me, Dan!

Yes, very nice. I've used Terraserver before, to find my house, and it
is indeed spectacular. But the Google map was nothing like that. I
couldn't raise 8B8 on it at all, and even the Pease PSM map was
colorized to beat the band.

I'll bookmark airnav. Thanks for the pointer. I rarely use Terraserver
because it just takes too long to find anything.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old April 7th 05, 10:58 PM
Andrew Gideon

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Take a look at the Capitol Building in DC. As pixellated as a mob
informer on the TV news.

Deliberately, from the look of it. I'm sure that'll scare off a terrorist.
It's well known that they hate pixels.

- Andrew

Garmin gpsmap 76s airspace zone home made maps (follow up) Gilles_Sauvagnat Soaring 0 May 13th 04 08:41 PM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: How do you like your maps stitched? Kyler Laird General Aviation 24 December 10th 03 05:10 AM
3D topo ridge maps Joe Simmers Soaring 7 November 12th 03 07:29 PM
GOOGLE Spam Doug Simulators 10 September 28th 03 12:06 PM