a quick question: local procedures FRG-HPN transition

Old April 6th 05, 08:00 PM
Journeyman

Default a quick question: local procedures FRG-HPN transition

Planning a flight tomorrow to BOS-FRG (Farmingdale, on Long Island).
My home airport is HPN (White Plains), about 15 minutes North. After
I drop off my passenger, what's the best way to get back into White
Plains?

FRG and HPN have different NY Approach frequencies, and HPN is a
pseudo class C. By the time you clear FRG class D, call the FRG
approach controller, it doesn't leave much time for a handoff to
the White Plains approach controller, much less getting the HPN
ATIS.

The one time I went into FRG, I simply left their airspace and headed
for Norwalk, making initial contact with "Westchester Approach" when I
got there (this is not entirely dissimilar to Bob Gardner's instrument
student who got delay vectors transitioning from BFI to RNT).

Is there a more direct way?

Morris
Old April 6th 05, 11:06 PM
Ray Bengen

You can always get the ASOS on the ground by phone or even call the HPN
tower to get the ATIS but I'm sure you'll have enough time if you fly
directly from FRG to HPN unless of course you file, and then you'll
probably get routed via Brigeport or Madison...

WX looks nice for tomorrow anyway.

Old April 7th 05, 07:38 PM
Journeyman

In article , Ray Bengen wrote:
tower to get the ATIS but I'm sure you'll have enough time if you fly
directly from FRG to HPN

That's what I wound up doing. Once clear of FRG airspace, got HPN
ATIS and called NY Approach around the North shore of Long Island.

Got a pretty good IFR routing from BOS (Logan) into FRG. I'm sure the
Angel Flight call sign didn't hurt.

WX looks nice for tomorrow anyway.

Good flight. A bit hazy, though.

Morris (still managed to get into work only an hour later than planned)
Old April 7th 05, 10:35 PM
Ray Bengen

Glad to hear all worked out so well. Nice job and good for you doing an
Angel Flight!!!

(Gotta say Lifeguard always does the trick. Bounced Air Force 2 once.)

Ray