Suppressing the Vote (in Florida)

Old August 16th 04, 09:31 AM
WalterM140

Default Suppressing the Vote (in Florida)

"The big story out of Florida over the weekend was the tragic devastation
caused by Hurricane Charley. But there's another story from Florida that
deserves our attention.

State police officers have gone into the homes of elderly black voters in
Orlando and interrogated them as part of an odd "investigation" that has
frightened many voters, intimidated elderly volunteers and thrown a chill over
efforts to get out the black vote in November.

The officers, from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which reports to
Gov. Jeb Bush, say they are investigating allegations of voter fraud that came
up during the Orlando mayoral election in March.

Officials refused to discuss details of the investigation, other than to say
that absentee ballots are involved. They said they had no idea when the
investigation might end, and acknowledged that it may continue right through
the presidential election.

"We did a preliminary inquiry into those allegations and then we concluded that
there was enough evidence to follow through with a full criminal
investigation," said Geo Morales, a spokesman for the Department of Law
Enforcement.

The state police officers, armed and in plain clothes, have questioned dozens
of voters in their homes. Some of those questioned have been volunteers in
get-out-the-vote campaigns.

I asked Mr. Morales in a telephone conversation to tell me what criminal
activity had taken place.

"I can't talk about that," he said.

I asked if all the people interrogated were black.

"Well, mainly it was a black neighborhood we were looking at - yes,'' he said.

He also said, "Most of them were elderly."

When I asked why, he said, "That's just the people we selected out of a random
sample to interview."

Back in the bad old days, some decades ago, when Southern whites used every
imaginable form of chicanery to prevent blacks from voting, blacks often fought
back by creating voters leagues, which were organizations that helped to
register, educate and encourage black voters. It became a tradition that
continues in many places, including Florida, today.

Not surprisingly, many of the elderly black voters who found themselves face to
face with state police officers in Orlando are members of the Orlando League of
Voters, which has been very successful in mobilizing the city's black vote.

The president of the Orlando League of Voters is Ezzie Thomas, who is 73 years
old. With his demonstrated ability to deliver the black vote in Orlando, Mr.
Thomas is a tempting target for supporters of George W. Bush in a state in
which the black vote may well spell the difference between victory and defeat.

The vile smell of voter suppression is all over this so-called investigation by
the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Joseph Egan, an Orlando lawyer who represents Mr. Thomas, said: "The Voters
League has workers who go into the community to do voter registration, drive
people to the polls and help with absentee ballots. They are elderly women
mostly. They get paid like $100 for four or five months' work, just to offset
things like the cost of their gas. They see this political activity as an
important contribution to their community. Some of the people in the community
had never cast a ballot until the league came to their door and encouraged them
to vote."

Now, said Mr. Egan, the fear generated by state police officers going into
people's homes as part of an ongoing criminal investigation related to voting
is threatening to undo much of the good work of the league. He said, "One woman
asked me, 'Am I going to go to jail now because I voted by absentee ballot?' "

According to Mr. Egan, "People who have voted by absentee ballot for years are
refusing to allow campaign workers to come to their homes. And volunteers who
have participated for years in assisting people, particularly the elderly or
handicapped, are scared and don't want to risk a criminal investigation."

Florida is a state that's very much in play in the presidential election, with
some polls showing John Kerry in the lead. A heavy-handed state police
investigation that throws a blanket of fear over thousands of black voters can
only help President Bush.

The long and ugly tradition of suppressing the black vote is alive and thriving
in the Sunshine State."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/16/op...16herbert.html

Bush is definitely trying to steal the election.

Walt
Old August 16th 04, 02:16 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Suppressing the Vote (in Florida)
From: (WalterM140)
Date: 8/16/2004 1:31 AM Pacific Standard Time

"

[...]

Vote Republican for four more years of hell.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer