Updating Avionics - How I Remember What's What!

Old December 14th 19, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Updating Avionics - How I Remember What's What!

On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 8:18:47 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/13/2019 9:25 PM, 2G wrote:
The upper vario is the S8, the lower one the S10.

Everything is now in kts (this was the 2nd flight). The S8 is slaved to the 9070. I could control the radio from the 9070, but that requires a $240 bridge (LXNAV-Bridge-Trig).

I don't have ADS-B In.

Tom

Really???Â* How much have you got invested in that well set up ASH-31?Â*
What's $240 as a percentage of that, 0.1%?

How could anyone claim that glider pilots are notoriously cheap? :-D
--
Dan, 5J

One of my favorites was about 2015 someone equipping a brand-new glider was complaining about the Mark IV being a dollar or two more expensive from a reseller than direct from Bumper. Sheesh
Old December 14th 19, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On 12/13/2019 9:25 PM, 2G wrote:
The upper vario is the S8, the lower one the S10.

Everything is now in kts (this was the 2nd flight). The S8 is slaved to the 9070. I could control the radio from the 9070, but that requires a $240 bridge (LXNAV-Bridge-Trig).

I don't have ADS-B In.

Tom

Really???Â* How much have you got invested in that well set up ASH-31?Â*
What's $240 as a percentage of that, 0.1%?

How could anyone claim that glider pilots are notoriously cheap? :-D
--
Dan, 5J

$240 IS $240, not zero. I wasn't even aware of the option when I ordered the 31, as was the case with the Wi-Fi option. I have the entire winter to make up my mind. All that it does is allow you to set and select frequencies from the 9070 instead of the TY91, not a very compelling capability at the end of the day.

Tom
Old December 14th 19, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Me, too!Â* What Eric said.

On 12/14/2019 10:27 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 12/14/2019 8:18 AM:

On 12/13/2019 9:25 PM, 2G wrote:
The upper vario is the S8, the lower one the S10.

Everything is now in kts (this was the 2nd flight). The S8 is slaved
to the 9070. I could control the radio from the 9070, but that
requires a $240 bridge (LXNAV-Bridge-Trig).

I don't have ADS-B In.

Tom

Really???Â* How much have you got invested in that well set up ASH-31?
What's $240 as a percentage of that, 0.1%?

How could anyone claim that glider pilots are notoriously cheap? :-D

I really like the ADSB-in on my Phoenix. The radar and TFRs are worth
it; also, getting the winds and weather at airports out of AWOS range.

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 14th 19, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On 12/13/2019 9:25 PM, 2G wrote:
The upper vario is the S8, the lower one the S10.

Everything is now in kts (this was the 2nd flight). The S8 is slaved
to the 9070. I could control the radio from the 9070, but that
requires a $240 bridge (LXNAV-Bridge-Trig).

I don't have ADS-B In.

Tom
Really???Â* How much have you got invested in that well set up ASH-31?
What's $240 as a percentage of that, 0.1%?

How could anyone claim that glider pilots are notoriously cheap? :-D

I really like the ADSB-in on my Phoenix. The radar and TFRs are worth
it; also, getting the winds and weather at airports out of AWOS range.

--
Dan, 5J

I am have ADS-B In by virtue of the PowerFlarm core. I have been getting power traffic alerts, but I thought that was transponder alerts. What I will probably add is the Flarmview57 for a dedicated alert display (replacing the volt/ammeter).

Tom
Old December 14th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 12/13/2019 9:25 PM, 2G wrote:
The upper vario is the S8, the lower one the S10.

Everything is now in kts (this was the 2nd flight). The S8 is slaved to the
9070. I could control the radio from the 9070, but that requires a $240
bridge (LXNAV-Bridge-Trig).

I don't have ADS-B In.

Tom

Really??? How much have you got invested in that well set up ASH-31? What's
$240 as a percentage of that, 0.1%?

How could anyone claim that glider pilots are notoriously cheap? :-D -- Dan,
5J

$240 IS $240, not zero. I wasn't even aware of the option when I ordered the
31, as was the case with the Wi-Fi option. I have the entire winter to make up
my mind. All that it does is allow you to set and select frequencies from the
9070 instead of the TY91, not a very compelling capability at the end of the
day.

It does a bit more than that. You no longer need the control head (but can use it
at the same time), so that can be removed from your panel to open up an instrument
hole, or even avoid buying the control head (~$400) if you plan for it when
ordering equipment. It also keeps a history list of recently used frequencies,
making it easier to switch among them.

Old December 14th 19, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On 12/13/2019 9:25 PM, 2G wrote:
[...]

Not sure why you would get a separate instrument to show flarm as the LX9070 is the biggest screen to show the alerts on.
Old December 15th 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2G wrote on 12/14/2019 1:01 PM:
On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 11:58:50 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Me, too!* What Eric said.

I don't have ADS-B In.

Tom
Really???* How much have you got invested in that well set up ASH-31?
What's $240 as a percentage of that, 0.1%?

How could anyone claim that glider pilots are notoriously cheap? :-D

I really like the ADSB-in on my Phoenix. The radar and TFRs are worth
it; also, getting the winds and weather at airports out of AWOS range.

--
Dan, 5J

I am have ADS-B In by virtue of the PowerFlarm core. I have been getting power traffic alerts, but I thought that was transponder alerts. What I will probably add is the Flarmview57 for a dedicated alert display (replacing the volt/ammeter).

Dan and I meant are the "bonus" features of ADS-B in: things like weather, radar
images, TFRs, etc.

Old December 15th 19, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

My main use is to select standby frequencies from the near airports page. I use the head unit for all other functions.
Old December 15th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Eric,

I have dual mode ADS-B Out and In in the Cessna 180 and 1090ES out in
the Stemme.Â* The Powerflarm portable gives me 1090ES ADS-B IN in the
Stemme via both the ClearNav II moving map and a Flarmview display.Â* I
played with a Dual XGPS-170D with a Sony Xperia Z3 for dual mode ADS-B
In on an Avare display but it just proved to be redundant and mounting
was problematic.Â* I may offer the XGPS-170D
https://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps170d for sale...

2G, Tom, if your Flarm target has a position display on your moving map,
it's an ADS-B In target.Â* If it's just a range circle, it's simply a
transponder return (Mode 3/A or Mode S).

On 12/14/2019 5:26 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 12/14/2019 1:01 PM:
[...]

Â*--
email me)

Dan, 5J

Old December 17th 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On 12/13/2019 9:25 PM, 2G wrote:
[...]

I am not confident that the 9070 will display the alerts when I need them the most. It seems like I have to page over to the flarm display to see what is going on. This may get resolved as I fly with it more.

Tom

Updating Oudie [email protected] Soaring 0 July 14th 18 01:29 PM
XC Skies GFS not updating JS Soaring 4 June 2nd 16 10:34 PM
OLC Not Updating [email protected] Soaring 4 October 14th 10 11:04 PM
Updating B-100 Paul M. Cordell Soaring 2 November 12th 04 02:10 AM