IS-28B2 Twin Lark status

Old June 16th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default IS-28B2 Twin Lark status

We are trying to determine the status of this glider at our field.

It appears that this aircraft (which was built in 1997) had an
airworthiness limitation of 20 years, which took it to 1997. However,
there was a 15 year extension that took it to 2012.

Assuming I have my facts right, the question is whether there will be
another extension that takes it beyond 2012.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this?
Old June 17th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 16, 2:50*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
We are trying to determine the status of this glider at our field.

It appears that this aircraft (which was built in 1997) had an
airworthiness limitation of 20 years, which took it to 1997. *However,
there was a 15 year extension that took it to 2012.

Assuming I have my facts right, the question is whether there will be
another extension that takes it beyond 2012.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

What I understand is that the current life limit extensions for the US
gives us 35 years from date of manufacture for the standard
airworthyness certificate. To comply with this requires documentation
of a simple but comprehensive corrosion inspection. IAR or other US
Lark owners may be able to supply the necessary forms.

If a Lark owner doesn't want to do the inspection paperwork or has a
Lark older than 35 years the certificate can be registered
Experimental for as long as needed. Under that designation there is
no life limitation in the US though you then cant use it for
commercial purposes.

Austrialians have done an extensive study of the Lark airframe and
have determined that it is a very robust structure that is worthy of
further life extension. Perhaps someone there will provide more
details here.

Matt Michael
former owner Lark 28DG
Old June 17th 08, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jan Eldem[_2_]

we have one in our club in the U.K

they are lifed to 10,000 hours or 30.000 launches whichever is sooner.

it used to be 6000 hours but the extension from brasov took it to 10K.
why it the states is it lifed on its age, seems an awful waste??

jan
Old June 17th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 17, 1:43 am, Jan Eldem wrote:
we have one in our club in the U.K

they are lifed to 10,000 hours or 30.000 launches whichever is sooner.

it used to be 6000 hours but the extension from brasov took it to 10K.
why it the states is it lifed on its age, seems an awful waste??

jan

IIRC, the same 10000hr/30000launch extension included a 20 year
service life, or at least did not alter it. That was done later under
life extension inspections. I looked at a low time IS28B2 in the UK
and did not buy it at the time due to the then unresolved 'shelf
life'. That was in 1995. BGA rules at that time regarding such
things are somewhat different than US FAA rules. Those vary from
country to country. A classic example is the L-13, which is 'lifed'
by hours in many countries, but not in the US. In Australia, some
IS28B2's have far exceeded 10,000 hours.

Frank W
Old June 17th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jun 16, 12:50*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:

...Assuming I have my facts right, the question is whether there will be
another extension that takes it beyond 2012.

Word is, they're doing a remake of Escape from New York. Does that
count?

Bob "von New Amsterdam" K.