Tank pressure for Speedaire compressor?

Old November 12th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Tank pressure for Speedaire compressor?

Someone gave me a Speedaire Model 3Z394 airtank.
I know nothing about its integrity or working pressure.
1. If you own such a model, could you tell me the max safe tank
pressure?
2. How can I determine if the tank (which as some rust on the outside)
still has its integrity? - Mike

Old November 12th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

On 12 Nov 2006 09:24:14 -0800, "vcdvsr" wrote:

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Someone gave me a Speedaire Model 3Z394 airtank.
I know nothing about its integrity or working pressure.
1. If you own such a model, could you tell me the max safe tank
pressure?
2. How can I determine if the tank (which as some rust on the outside)
still has its integrity? - Mike

Sorry, came out blank. Please try again - MIke

Old November 12th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kunkel

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
Someone gave me a Speedaire Model 3Z394 airtank.
I know nothing about its integrity or working pressure.
1. If you own such a model, could you tell me the max safe tank
pressure?

That model was originally powered by a 3/4 hp motor so I would guess it has
a shutoff pressure of 120 psi.

2. How can I determine if the tank (which as some rust on the outside)
still has its integrity?

Only a hydrostatic test can prove the integrity.

Old November 12th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

thanks - MIke

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 11:04:04 -0800, "John Kunkel"
wrote:

.. .

Old November 13th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Cy Galley

Old compressor tanks are a time bomb. Most cheap compressor tanks are not
ASME rated nor tested. Rust on the outside is not the problem. It is the
rust on the inside from condensation over the years, AND when they go, they
really go.

One of our EAA Chapter 75 members brought in a tank that had split from end
to end and I wrote about in Sport Aviation. Then I had several others relate
their stories... Like went to town and came back to a hole in the garage
roof. Or... Missed me by inches but ruined the overhead door. And then there
are those not so lucky that can't tell a story as they died.

Many compressor sales agencies can and will do a hydrostatic test. Involves
filling with water then running the pressure up to 150% of working.
Commercial places have to do this on a regular basis.

Before you use this "freebie" Have it tested for your health.

--
Cy Galley
EAA Safety Programs Editor

wrote:

. ..

Old May 21st 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"John Kunkel" wrote

Only a hydrostatic test can prove the integrity.

True, but if it is surface rust, it should be OK.

Ever wonder what the inside bottom of a tank looks like, especially on that
does not get drained after each use?

I have to think that there is a healthy safety margin designed into tanks.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 21st 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Morgans" wrote in message

"John Kunkel" wrote

Only a hydrostatic test can prove the integrity.

True, but if it is surface rust, it should be OK.

Ever wonder what the inside bottom of a tank looks like, especially on
that does not get drained after each use?

I have to think that there is a healthy safety margin designed into tanks.
--

I'm sure there is, but FWIW - check the local fire extinguisher places -
they will be able to do a hydrostat (or know where to go)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com