757 lands on EWR taxiway by mistake

Old November 1st 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default 757 lands on EWR taxiway by mistake

In a previous article, Roy Smith said:
In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:
sarcasm
But they were on a flight plan, and the tower was fully staffed, so how
could anything have gone wrong?
/sarcasm

Somebody used a non-PMA indicator light in the coffee maker.

Ah, that explains it.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
`I was all fired up to write a big rant, but instead found apathy to be a
Old November 1st 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Somebody used a non-PMA indicator light in the coffee maker.

LOL

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 1st 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in
ups.com:

Gary Drescher wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...p&ex=116235720
0&en=858151cf4e7fca20&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Must've been cleared for the visual to 11. I remember my instructor and
chief flight instructor both hammering home the point about knowing the
color of lights associated with the approach lighting system, runway,
and taxiway. The head of the flight school is a DE, and during my
instrument oral exam he quized me about pretty much every aspect of the
lighting system. Haven't forgotten it to this day.

--
Guy

Wouldn't they have noticed the PAPI on the wrong side?
Old November 1st 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Bucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Peters [FAA spokesman] said the plane should have landed on Runway 29,
but landed on Taxiway Z, otherwise known as Taxiway Zulu, which is
parallel to the runway."

Hmmm... Any chance it could be as simple as he was experiencing glare from
the sun?

Old November 1st 06, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Grumman-581 schrieb:

Hmmm... Any chance it could be as simple as he was experiencing glare from
the sun?

Hardly, half an hour after sunset...
Old November 1st 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Stefan wrote:
Grumman-581 schrieb:

Hmmm... Any chance it could be as simple as he was experiencing glare from
the sun?

Hardly, half an hour after sunset...

Well, surprising that nobody has yet mentioned that the landing may
have been in VMC conditions. Not saying that it wasn't an error but if
the PF didn't even have the chance to see anything visually outside, it
could explain things.

Or can such incidents happen even when your view is clear enough?

Ramapriya

Old November 1st 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...rtner=homepage

There's interestingly a bit at the end of that news article suggesting
that an a/c took off the previous night from a wrong runway. Shades of
what I was imagining on a thread a month or so ago about whether or not
the PNF is allowed to alert the PF on an error.

Just as I'd suspected then, there wouldn't be much of a noise if
nothing untoward happens, which is how it's seemingly transpired in the
instant case!

Ramapriya

Old November 1st 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

wrote in message
s.com...
Stefan wrote:
Grumman-581 schrieb:

Hmmm... Any chance it could be as simple as he was experiencing glare
from
the sun?

Hardly, half an hour after sunset...

Well, surprising that nobody has yet mentioned that the landing may
have been in VMC conditions. Not saying that it wasn't an error but if
the PF didn't even have the chance to see anything visually outside, it
could explain things.

Or can such incidents happen even when your view is clear enough?

Ramapriya

It's entirely possible. I did it (more than once actually) while training
for my Private certificate.

Lined up perfectly for what I was certain was RWY 4R when in fact it was a
taxiway. Fortunately, I discovered my error in plenty of time to slide over
a bit.

Jay B

Old November 1st 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Beckman wrote:

It's entirely possible. I did it (more than once actually) while training
for my Private certificate.

Lined up perfectly for what I was certain was RWY 4R when in fact it was a
taxiway. Fortunately, I discovered my error in plenty of time to slide over
a bit.

Jay B

Jay, I've basically only seen the Dubai Airport, and clearly remember
that the taxiways are about a third or a quarter of the runway width.
Unless the airport you mention was quite different, it strikes me as
quite improbable that a strip of asphalt as slender as a taxiway can be
mistaken for a runway. Again of course, in VMC, I suppose all bets are
off, but in VFR??

Ramapriya

Old November 1st 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Beckman" wrote:
Lined up perfectly for what I was certain was RWY 4R when in fact it was a
taxiway. Fortunately, I discovered my error in plenty of time to slide over
a bit.

Jay, a friend of mine did a similar thing at the 4L&R side of the
runways. 4R and its parallel taxiway are both newer, dark pavement; 4L
was old and faded asphalt and not as clearly visible from a few miles
out. He was instructed to make straight-in for 4L. We were in an old
tandem tailwheel. He saw 4R and that parallel taxiway to its right and
thought 4R was 4L and reported 2-mile straight-in for 4L. Looked odd to
me, even from the back, and I said, "Um, 4L is over there" and pointed
to the left. He looked for a second and said, "Oh sh*t!" and scooted
over.

I did the same thing coming from the north, instructed to make
straight-in for 22R, that newer, darker ashphalt being the first two
long strips of pavement that you focus in on. I ended up having to do a
go-round.