EW to Garmin 196 interface problem

Old May 2nd 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default EW to Garmin 196 interface problem

Does anyone use a EW model B data recorder(upgraded
to accept GPS nema) connected to a Garmin 196 for
flight verication? I have a problem with the combo.
I was using a Garmin 90 connected to a SN10 and the
EW without problems. The interface for the 90 was set
to Nema/Nema 2.0. I replaced
the 90 with a 196 and now when I am connected to both
the EW and the SN10 I get a GPSD and then a GPSC, a
disconnect then reconnect, every time the EW requests
a sample. The SN10's file does not show any problems.
If I connect only the EW to the 196 this does not happen.
I have tried this with a seperate cable and it works
fine. If I connect the 90 back it works fine. I have
played with the advanced settings on the 196 without
good results. According to the manual on the 196 it
can feed 3 or more devices and should not have any
problems. I have emailed Graham at EW but have not
heard back from him yet. Anyone have any ideas?

Old May 2nd 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 21:48 02 May 2006, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

To say that it can feed 3 or more devices seems a bit
far fetched.

It depends on the current that the 196 can deliver
and the demands of
the devices. The output from the 196 may be such that
the higher demand
of two devices is dragging the voltage down to a point
where the EW
believes the 196 to be disconnected.

Incidentally, the 196 is not on the list of approved
GPS engines, so
cannot be used for Badges. See:
http://www.fai.org/gliding/system/files?file=ew.pdf

Tim Newport-Peace

'Indecision is the Key to Flexibility.'

Agreed Tim, However the Garmin 90 says the same thing
as the 196 for outputs and it is the same connector
ect ect. It just seems odd that the 90 works and the
196 doesn't. They don't give an output quantity other
than '3 devices' ie ma, va, v, w or any other electrical
means of quantity. They both have the same pin arrangment
and it is not affecting the SN10 file. I use the ew
to claim flights in the OLC as the SN10 is not accepted
by them, but thats another story I have temporaily
set up the 90 to power run the ew alone but lost sundays
flight due to low batteries in the 90.

Old May 3rd 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cliff,

I've used my SN10 for claiming OLC flights for the past two years
without problems - it just gives you a blue smiley instead of a green
smiley. Ditto racing - it's just badges and records that need a
full-up logger.

SN10 cannot be used for OLC-FAI claims (whatever they are...). Not
sure about the new OLC club racing (which sure seems complicated at
first glance...)

Kirk

Need help with Garmin 196 data transfer (long) RNR Piloting 7 March 17th 05 07:37 AM
Garmin 296 worth the money? Terry Owning 15 June 22nd 04 09:03 AM
GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 03:54 AM
who moved SAV, forgot to tell Jepp? Dave Butler Instrument Flight Rules 15 November 9th 03 02:16 AM
Garmin 90 Database Updates Discontinued Val Christian Piloting 14 August 20th 03 09:32 PM