Delore & Fossett soar 2190 km

Old December 11th 04, 04:07 PM
F.L. Whiteley

The challenge prize for the first straight line flight of 2000km, was put up
by Dr. Joachim Kuettner, won by Ohlmann, and presented at the 2004 SSA
Convention in Atlanta. Even broad very wave bands, and the corresponding
jets, are generally far too narrow for completing such a flight, hence the
challenge, how to get the additional 500km+. It's taken several years of
research and attempts to complete these flights in Argentina. Are
2500-3000km straight-line flights possible? Downwind?

Frank Whiteley

"Oscar" wrote in message
Excuse my ignorance, but what is so special about flying in a straight

line
instead of doing a few turns along the way? - Oscar

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Oscar wrote:
How does that compare with this 2463km claim by Stemme?
"This was proven not at least with the sensational flight of Klaus

Ohlmann
in the Andes: 2463 km of pure gliding in 14 hours in Dec. 2000 with a

STEMME
S 10-VT" - complete article see here

http://www.stemme.de/daten/e/index.html
(go to Our Aircraft S10-VT The Philosophy)

Oscar

"Burt Compton" wrote in message

From the New Zealand newswire / Breaking News:

Delore flies 2190km, breaks record

Klaus' flight was not a straight line?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old December 12th 04, 02:22 PM

"F.L. Whiteley" writes:

challenge, how to get the additional 500km+. It's taken several
years of research and attempts to complete these flights in
Argentina. Are 2500-3000km straight-line flights possible?
Downwind?

How do you define `straight'?

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old December 12th 04, 05:06 PM
F.L. Whiteley

wrote in message
"F.L. Whiteley" writes:

challenge, how to get the additional 500km+. It's taken several
years of research and attempts to complete these flights in
Argentina. Are 2500-3000km straight-line flights possible?
Downwind?

How do you define `straight'?

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,

Doesn't matter how I define straight, but how the FAI defines it for a
record. It's the distance between the start and finish, with no turnpoints.

See the sporting code http://www.fai.org/sporting_code/sc3.pdf
Free distance and straight distance to a goal are the only relevant
categories.

If you deviate off track, you'll gain no extra distance. If you wander much
further than 15 degrees off track on a goal flight, you reduce the chances
of making the distance in available daylight. For free distance, wandering
into the best lift may be optimal up to say 30 degrees if you aren't going
to reverse back to the original track and just accept a new finish.

Since the best wave conditions rarely exceed 1500km in span, downwind
flights transiting several mountain ranges may offer the better opportunity
of completing a downwind wave flight of 2500km or more. I believe someone
once surmised that when the jet developed a large deflection over the
northwest United States that an early departure into wave from Washington
State or British Columbia towards New Mexico into Texas for about 2500km
straight distance might be possible. However, heading south and east limits
available daylight and great wave conditions don't often happen during the
longer days in North America.

Frank

Old December 12th 04, 07:08 PM
CV

Marek Malolepszy wrote:

2463.7 km Klaus Ohlmann's flight performed 26 Nov 2000 was 3 turn point =
flight.
Marek Malolepszy
CA

But that's old stuff now. He did 3000 k and a bit,
last year or year before.
CV
Old December 12th 04, 07:12 PM
CV

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Oscar wrote:

How does that compare with this 2463km claim by Stemme?
"This was proven not at least with the sensational flight of Klaus
Ohlmann
in the Andes: 2463 km of pure gliding in 14 hours in Dec. 2000 with a
STEMME
S 10-VT" - complete article see here
http://www.stemme.de/daten/e/index.html
(go to Our Aircraft S10-VT The Philosophy)

Oscar

"Burt Compton" wrote in message

From the New Zealand newswire / Breaking News:

Delore flies 2190km, breaks record

Klaus' flight was not a straight line?

No it wasn't, and his 3000k+ flight in a Nimbus 4 a year or two
ago wasn't either.

Another possible difference: Klaus flew a motorglider. The
OT doesn't say if the ASH25 in question was a pure glider.
If it was they'd be classed as different records.

CV
Old December 12th 04, 09:35 PM
Eric Greenwell

CV wrote:

Another possible difference: Klaus flew a motorglider. The
OT doesn't say if the ASH25 in question was a pure glider.
If it was they'd be classed as different records.

The ASH 25 M used by Delore/Fossett is a motorglider, but it doesn't
matter, as the FAI combined glider and motorglider categories several
years ago.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 17th 04, 04:58 PM
tango4

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message

wrote in message
"F.L. Whiteley" writes:

How do you define `straight'?

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,

Doesn't matter how I define straight, but how the FAI defines it for a
record.

It's the FAI great circle ie: shortest distance in a straight line )
distance between the start and finish, with no turnpoints.

Ian