Another Cirrus BRS deployment:

Old April 14th 04, 04:40 AM
Dave Stadt

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

This kind of BS is shortsighted as it breeds contempt for the law and

the
whole legal process. These same people probably complain about how

there
is
such lack of respect these days for their authority.

It is done to raise revenue. Several municipalities, including the city

of
chicago, have been very up front in saying so.

Ah, yes. Chicago as an example of fine moral leadership.

It's an equal opportunity city. They screw everybody.

Old April 14th 04, 05:31 AM
Big John

David

The seat I ejected in was powered by a 37 mm artillery shell (

Used to keep one on my desk as a curio )

Big John

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:08:04 GMT, David Reinhart
wrote:

It's my understanding that ejection seats aren't allowed on civil aircraft
because the pyrotechnics used are illegal for civillians to own. They're
considered controlled military munitions.

Dave Reinhart

Richard Kaplan wrote:

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

I don't understand this. We're talking about a life-saving device, people
start using it and some here actually suggest those pilots weren't macho
enough to try to get out of their emergency without being a sissy and

pulling
the chute? This is unbelievable. "Real men don't use chutes"? What BS!

Why do you suppose ejection seats are not permitted on civilian airplanes?
They would be life-saving, too.

----clip----
Old April 14th 04, 05:58 AM
Richard Kaplan

"David Reinhart" wrote in message

Landing on big high tension lines would probably cut the airplane up. As

to the
Interstate and downtown, less damage would probably result than if the

aircraft
hit the ground at some speed above stall.

Are you assuming traffic on the interstate?

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old April 14th 04, 06:28 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...
Yet no one I know, outside of schools like Bondurant, teach anything

more
than hitting the brakes.

I doubt it would ever happen, but wouldn't it be a nice idea to have a
higher speeding limit for drivers who passed a high-speed driver safety
course or some equivalent of driver recurrent training.

If it is safe for the police to exceed the speed limit, why cannot the
public do this as safely if they take appropriate training?

More importantly, is it really plausible that the same speed limit applies
to all drivers regardless of skill?

And naturally the rules are written for the lowest common denominator (i.e.,
your 81 year old grandfather).

Old April 14th 04, 02:30 PM
BllFs6

David

The seat I ejected in was powered by a 37 mm artillery shell (

Used to keep one on my desk as a curio )

Big John

So you literally were shot in the ass by a 37 mm artillery shell !

Now thats a distinction that carries some real bragging rights down at the
local pub!

take care

Blll
Old April 14th 04, 03:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

David Reinhart wrote:

It's my understanding that ejection seats aren't allowed on civil aircraft
because the pyrotechnics used are illegal for civillians to own. They're
considered controlled military munitions.

It's possible for private citizens to obtain permits to own military munitions.
They're classed as "destructive devices" and controlled by BATF.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 14th 04, 06:54 PM
Big John

Tom

Come to Houston. New Mayor just synchronized part of the down town
lights and is working on the rest and he's even a Democrat )

Our new Tooter Ville Trolley, running down main street, is still
hitting cars. Has had around 35 accidents since start of business
early in year (just before Super Bowel) (

Big John

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:35:50 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller"

----clip----
Old April 14th 04, 09:41 PM
David CL Francis

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 at 19:53:19 in message
, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Both car and GA accident rates have dramatically declined with technical
improvements to safety over the last decades. This expert is simply not supported
by the numbers.

I was convinced that that was the main effect until I read a book called
'Risk' by John Adams. Now I do believe in risk compensation and the
possibility, for example that better and safer cars may lead to more
accidents to pedestrians.

The biggest factor for cars appears to be that the more traffic there
is, then the more the accident rate falls.

In the UK the highest annual road fatalities were in 1926. From then a
steady decline took place until the last couple of years. The only
exception to that was the war years when exceptional factors sent
accidents through the roof. (Example: complete darkness everywhere at
night and vehicles with almost non-existent head lights.)
--
David CL Francis
Old April 14th 04, 10:04 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Big John" wrote in message
Tom

Come to Houston. New Mayor just synchronized part of the down town
lights and is working on the rest and he's even a Democrat )

Synchronizing them to do what? :~)

Our new Tooter Ville Trolley, running down main street, is still
hitting cars. Has had around 35 accidents since start of business
early in year (just before Super Bowel) (

Isn't that part of the downtown entertainment arrangement, bumpercars?

Our town put up traffic lights at a new entrance/exit to the Civic Plaza
that empties onto the main drag. If just ONE car tries to exit, anytime, day
or night, sensors turn that light GREEN and turns the main drag RED...even
if 20 cars are coming down the main drag.

Nice to have one's priorities in line, no? Can't have bureaucrats waiting on
the citizen-scum while trying to get home and watch MTV.