Splurging on Your Plane

Old January 31st 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Splurging on Your Plane

My Garmin 430 installation had similar installation costs. As for the C150,
the GPS antenna would need to be removed and the hole patched and the CDI
removed/replaced as well. All this times two so that's at least $9K lost in
the transaction.

Marco

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
But in his defence he knew the C150 was just a "starter plane" and after
he'd got some hours on it was going to buy up, and move the 430s to the
new aircraft.

Ah, I didn't recall that. When I've looked at putting one 430 in my
plane I've been quoted between $4K to $5K just for installation. Maybe
its somewhat less in a C150 but thats still a lot of dead presidents.

-Robert

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 31st 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:04:46 -0500, "Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com
wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
roups.com...

3) Probably the most important thing, your plane is a known quantity.
Most of us are buying planes that are 20 to 30 years old. At that age
there can be a lot of gottchas. The risk of a gottcha with the plane
you know well is less than something you've never seen. There are many
gottchas that don't get caught on even the most complete inspection.

Assuming a $70K purchase price on the Arrow, the math comes to over $240K
total. Quite a number of 2003+ glass-cockpit Cirrus SR-20's for that price
with comparable performance and payload. Maybe he doesn't like the Cirruses
but the options are wide open if he knew what he had to spend (that's a big
"if"). Very possibly could have been just a case of the update bug gone
wild.

Plus he won't get $240k when he goes to sell the Arrow. Meanwhile,
the Cirrus would hold its resale fairly well... But it seems that for
the owner of the Arrow in question, finances are not a concern (he was
employee #2 at AutoCad), and he is doing this for fun...

As a relative comparison, aso.com lists the following Arrows...
A 1999 Arrow III with a similar set of avonics to the aforementinoed
Arrow, and only 1270TT, price = $189k.

A 1978 Turbo Arrow with similar avionics = $144k

-Nathan

Old January 31st 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The FAA known ice also means that aircraft was designed such that
things like fuel vents, etc are vented in such a way that they don't
ice up. Its more than just the deicing system.

And, as I understand it, the FAA has really tightened up on "known
icing certification since the Mooney 231 was certified.

From what I've heard, it (and many other planes) would no longer pass

muster under current standards.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I estimate it took about 8 years to get all the gottchas out of my
Tri-Pacer. No real surprises after that.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old January 31st 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Nathan Young" wrote in message

Plus he won't get $240k when he goes to sell the Arrow. Meanwhile,
the Cirrus would hold its resale fairly well... But it seems that for
the owner of the Arrow in question, finances are not a concern (he was
employee #2 at AutoCad), and he is doing this for fun...

I think it's safe to say that once you start using the word "splurge" when
describing your aircraft updating activities, resale value ceases to become
a concern. As an aircraft owner, there is an enormous sense of satisfaction
that comes out of updating your plane. The main sanity check for most is the
good 'ole wallet. Without that fiscal check, well, sky's the limit I
suppose.

Marco

Old January 31st 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

One of the few flying P-38's just changed hands... That might be an
extreme in personal aircraft - especially in a dollars invested per
likely hours of flight per year...
But, there are folks who fly personal jets, which might be considered
extreme... Then there are the few who rented a ride to the space
station at $20M a pop... How, extreme do you want to get?

denny

Old January 31st 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

And, as I understand it, the FAA has really tightened up on "known
icing certification since the Mooney 231 was certified.

True, but that doesn't effect existing planes. In fact, the weeping
wings system that Mooney uses is still in use by Mooney to produce
known-ice singles. The only change since original is a POH update
mandated by an AD that says you should attempt to get out of ice. The
nice thing about the weeping wings is that is protects a lot more of
the wing than the small area boots protect.

-Robert

Old January 31st 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I estimate it took about 8 years to get all the gottchas out of my
Tri-Pacer. No real surprises after that.

I'm in the same boat. Makes me not want to buy up. Makes me want to
upgrade my existing plane.

-Robert

Old January 31st 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
One of the few flying P-38's just changed hands... That might be an
extreme in personal aircraft - especially in a dollars invested per
likely hours of flight per year...
But, there are folks who fly personal jets, which might be considered
extreme... Then there are the few who rented a ride to the space
station at $20M a pop... How, extreme do you want to get?

I'm thinking just as far as upgrades. The thing with the P-38 and many of
the jets is that they offer something either unique or a level of speed that
requires a certain "entrance fee." I was thinking more of the stuff that
private owners add on to an existing airframe. When you can compare a $550K
Piper 6X to a $150K 1977 Cherokee 6 with $400K worht of upgrades, the
Cherokee makes for a more "interesting" story.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

However, there are a lot of well priced Mooney 231's out
there that have their FAA approved known ice systems still installed
and working.

I was recently looking for a Mooney 231/252/262 with some sort of de-ice
and didn't find even one for sale. There were a few that I considered
adding TKS to, but by then I was getting close to the price of a Mooney
TLS/Bravo. So I just bought a Bravo with known ice.
---
Ken Reed
N9124X