Zenith 601 builders!!!

Old July 12th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Zenith 601 builders!!!

To all the 601 builders out there. How long does it actually take to
build the basic
kit? I'm not talking about all the extras that are on our dare to
dream list, or the quick build kit, I mean basic VFR package, easy
paint, just enough to have fun and fly.
Lou
Old July 14th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Bryan Martin wrote:
A first time builder with some mechanical aptitude could probably get
one flying in about 800 to 1000 hours. I got mine flying with about 1200
hours with an IFR panel and polished aluminum finish.

In article
,
Lou wrote:

To all the 601 builders out there. How long does it actually take to
build the basic
kit? I'm not talking about all the extras that are on our dare to
dream list, or the quick build kit, I mean basic VFR package, easy
paint, just enough to have fun and fly.
Lou

Not finished yet but from first measurement to first take-off I'd say
Bryan's numbers sound about right.

I would say though that 2 guys who had done it before who either had
ready access to spare parts and/or were able to fab their own could
build the air frame in half that time if not less.

I've been working on mine since Oct of 2002. The tail, wings and some of
the fuselage were built on the patio of my house. I worked mainly on the
weekends and made very good time. The tail and wings were done in 2004.
I started on the fuselage and then decided that I might as well go ahead
and get my hanger built. That put almost a one year hold on any
building. Once I got in the hanger the South Arkansas heat limited the
amount of time I could spend out there 6 months out of the year then we
got to the point where I was waiting about a year to have my engine
built. I didn't want to do much of the electrical until I had the engine
so that delayed me yet again.

Now with the engine on the mount things are once again moving at quite a
clip. As I get closer I find myself working during the week on it some
as well.
Old July 14th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stew Hicks

At expo '89' in Vancouver B.C. Chapter 85 members along with Chris Heintz,
two of his teenage boys, his shop foreman and myself who had built a zenith
from plans assembled a 601 kit. There were probably an average of 8 workers
for 12 hrs a day.
12 days later I test flew it at Boundary Bay.
Stew

Old July 14th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Stew Hicks wrote:
At expo '89' in Vancouver B.C. Chapter 85 members along with Chris Heintz,
two of his teenage boys, his shop foreman and myself who had built a zenith
from plans assembled a 601 kit. There were probably an average of 8 workers
for 12 hrs a day.
12 days later I test flew it at Boundary Bay.
Stew

While a heck of an achievement I don't think the OP will have the same
kind of assistance during his build.
Old July 14th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

On Jul 14, 1:15 pm, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
Stew Hicks wrote:
At expo '89' in Vancouver B.C. Chapter 85 members along with Chris Heintz,
two of his teenage boys, his shop foreman and myself who had built a zenith
from plans assembled a 601 kit. There were probably an average of 8 workers
for 12 hrs a day.
12 days later I test flew it at Boundary Bay.
Stew

While a heck of an achievement I don't think the OP will have the same
kind of assistance during his build.

Although it wasn't what I had in mind, but it does equal out to 1152
hours so I'd
have to bet that it's not a bad estimate.
Lou
Old July 14th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
I would say though that 2 guys who had done it before...

Yes, but having "done it before" imparts a huge advantage, an advantage that
few (amateur) homebuilders will ever truly see.

Back when I was in charge of a shop that did repetitive radio installation in
fleets of police cars, we found that the first installation of a group could
take several times as long as the last installation. The learning curve can be
an amazing thing.

Vaughn

Old July 14th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
I would say though that 2 guys who had done it before...

Yes, but having "done it before" imparts a huge advantage, an advantage that
few (amateur) homebuilders will ever truly see.

Back when I was in charge of a shop that did repetitive radio installation in
fleets of police cars, we found that the first installation of a group could
take several times as long as the last installation. The learning curve can be
an amazing thing.

Vaughn

Without a doubt. Perfect example. The first wing I built (the left one)
took me a solid 3 months of weekends. They right wing took less than
half that.

Which brings up an interesting question. There is often a complaint that
the 601XL plane flys "left heavy." I wonder if this is because we don't
build it as well and it isn't quite as good an airfoil as the right. The
build manual has the left built first so just about everyone does it
that way.
Old July 14th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-07-14, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Which brings up an interesting question. There is often a complaint that
the 601XL plane flys "left heavy." I wonder if this is because we don't
build it as well and it isn't quite as good an airfoil as the right. The
build manual has the left built first so just about everyone does it
that way.

My Zodiac does that, too. I think it's just the weight of the pilot on the
left side. I don't recall that it flew left wing heavy when I had a friend
who weighs more than I do in the right seat.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old July 15th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

On 2008-07-14, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Which brings up an interesting question. There is often a complaint that
the 601XL plane flys "left heavy." I wonder if this is because we don't
build it as well and it isn't quite as good an airfoil as the right. The
build manual has the left built first so just about everyone does it
that way.

My Zodiac does that, too. I think it's just the weight of the pilot on the
left side. I don't recall that it flew left wing heavy when I had a friend
who weighs more than I do in the right seat.

Tailwind did the same thing - solo.

Two up it balanced perfectly.

Richard

zenith hds/xl Ted Leon Home Built 5 July 3rd 08 02:16 PM
Zenith Aircraft Curt Fennell Home Built 11 June 27th 06 07:40 AM
Zenith STOL 801 R.W. Behan Home Built 2 May 24th 06 02:34 PM
Zenith CH 601 vs. CH 701, better? DL152279546231 Home Built 7 February 28th 04 07:01 AM
Zenith CH 300 kit DougK Home Built 1 February 16th 04 11:40 PM