Wing wheel needed...

Old July 16th 15, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wing wheel needed...

Looking for a wing wheel. I have an ASW-19.

If anyone has one they want to sell please call or email me. I'm in WA and will cover shipping.

Thanks,

Nick

two zero six 954 33 three three

Old July 16th 15, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You should be able to get a set from wings and wheels. You'll probably have to buy 2.

If you only need one, say to let you make an unassisted aerotow launch from some lonely airport where you have landed out, you can use a temporary wheel. I keep a small wheel and some heavy duty double sided tape in my glider. You can get the wheel and the tape at any hardware store. Be sure to get the heavy duty tape. It's gray, with a red plastic film.

Good luck!

Old July 17th 15, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 6:11:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
You should be able to get a set from wings and wheels. You'll probably have to buy 2.

If you only need one, say to let you make an unassisted aerotow launch from some lonely airport where you have landed out, you can use a temporary wheel. I keep a small wheel and some heavy duty double sided tape in my glider. You can get the wheel and the tape at any hardware store. Be sure to get the heavy duty tape. It's gray, with a red plastic film.

Good luck!

I'm assuming he means a way to support the wing while moving it/the sailplane.
I may be incorrect, he may mean a tip wheel, but I don't believe '19's came with one stock (most of those gliders didn't, they all had droop tips).

BTW, it's totally possible to do an unassisted take-off with only "droop tips", I've done it quite a few times before, just takes a little thinking up front.... ;-)
Old July 17th 15, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, that makes more sense. Anyway, good luck. My 19 came with a home built wing wheel. Two pieces if sheet metal, with carpet on the inside, connected to a bicycle wheel. It's not pretty, but it works.
Old July 17th 15, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 12:16:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Looking for a wing wheel. I have an ASW-19.

If anyone has one they want to sell please call or email me. I'm in WA and will cover shipping.

Thanks,

Nick

two zero six 954 33 three three

I am assuming you mean a wheel for tow out and ground handling purposes.

Considerations:

Pick one that can slip over the wing and clamp rather than one that has to slide on from the tip. This is especially important if you have winglets.

Pick one that can be broken down and stow in the trailer with the rest of the tow out gear.

It should not be overly heavy but also not too light either. You want some weight to keep the wing from lifting in the wind. I see pilots using their parachutes as extra weight on the wing for this. Not a good idea. If the chute were to deploy in wind it would wreak havoc.

I have a M&M Fabrication wheel by Mark Mocho. It works well. He can build one specifically for your ship.
Old July 17th 15, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That's a good point. The ASW-19 has a double tapered wingtip --
neither the leading nor trailing edge are perpendicular to the
direction of travel. I built my own wing wheel, but M&M are
really good about working to match your plane.

Matt