ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

Old November 8th 18, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Default ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

Swirl paint it like they do guitars. Defy convention.
Old November 8th 18, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 11:44:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Andy, when I was laying out my ASW 24 panel many years ago (OK, over a quarter century ago), I wasn't just arranging paper cutouts on the blank panel to see what would fit. There were other consideration such as clearance behind the panel, minimum distance from the edges for structural integrity, minimum distance between two instruments for structural reasons as well as interference between them, obstruction of the top edge of the panel by the glare shield (I have a Streifeneder panel with higher knee cutouts and a three-flats--vs. rounded--cover), instruments that fit 57mm or 80 mm holes but had larger dimensions behind the panel (e.g., the Cambridge and ClearNav ADCs), switches and fuses, ELT annunciator, sightline behind the control stick, etc. And now we have the larger, non-standard panel displays mounted on stalks, in the panel, behind the panel, etc. Making sure everything fit was an iterative process to a certain extent. I cut the first hole, test fitted it, then proceeded, making adjustments as necessary.

Any quick thoughts to share with the group on how you dealt with these other issues? I assume that's what's meant by cutting a trial panel and testing for fit. I've changed my instrumentation a bit in the last few years so am thinking about a new panel. The idea of unpacking a brand new, beautifully cut panel and discovering my favorite instrument doesn't clear something by a few mm is daunting.

Chip Bearden

Best way to handle this issue is to model the panel and components in full 3D. That's what I did for my asw27 panel update. I then laser cut panels from plex and installed the instruments with it in the cockpit. then you can sit in the cockpit and verify you can see the ASI around the PDA on a stalk, etc. I went through three revisions of plex panels before I got it perfect.
Old November 9th 18, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why do we insist on black instrument panels in any case ? less reflection maybe ? I have a spare white instrument panel and don't want to paint it ......
Dan
On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 5:26:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am making a new instrument panel for my ASW27. The original panel appears to have a textured overlay that looks similar to leather. As far as I can tell the panel was made from carbon fiber over a plug and then the texture was bonded to the panel most likely using a vacuum bagging method. It is bonded so well that it may have been part of the layup process. I would like to duplicate the same look if possible. I am looking for some help regarding possible texture materials and procedures to provide a new panel with the original manufactures results.

Thanks,
Chris

Old November 10th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 8:10:00 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I have always had a grey panel. Wonder if the color of Russian cockpits would be good for gliders?
Old November 11th 18, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Seccombe

I am in the process of creating an entirely new panel that will also tilt up for my Ventus C. I have 3D printed replicas of everything that will be mounted. Out of 1/8" plywood I have laser cut a panel as it is to be laid out; actually I am on the 4th one and I found something on it to adjust a bit. It is mounted on the tilt-up frame and has been well worth the effort; I could see what would interfere with the frame and with other components.

As many times as I have taken everything off and placed them on a new version of the panel I know it has saved a lot of wear and tear on real components.
Old November 11th 18, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 9:04:15 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I'd suggest going down to the local flooring store and check out the textures on both sides of various linoleum products. You might find something quite similar to the one on the AS panel.

Textured sheet plastic would be another good source of the texturing.

https://www.eplastics.com/sheets/abs...AuJ0EA Lw_wcB

Chris
Old November 11th 18, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Best way to handle this issue is to model the panel and components in full 3D.

I have drawn up a lot of my instruments in 3D for my mosquito panel. It would be good if someone hosted a database of 2D and 3D CAD files of all the instruments, panels etc so we didn't need to redraw. I have drawn up the flarm brick, antennae, and several standard instruments that I could share.
Chris
Old November 11th 18, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I measured and modeled all the instruments in 2D - including the holes and the case cross-sections. I managed to arrange them such that they form a near-solid block (many of them touch cases to add stability). I also measured the backside of the panel because there is some curvature and wall thickness to account for, so I created a standoff buffer/border around the edge.

I taught myself to use AutoCAD as part of this exercise, so I did some simple checks to ensure that there was clearance along the length of each instrument. With some additional effort you can create a 3D model of the instrument panel and cavity as well as each instrument. I didn't find this necessary for the -27. A friend who did a panel for his Ventus used SolidWorks to make a full 3D model (Fusion 360 will allow you to do this without spending $4000 on software). It may help for specific situations though generally there isn't a significant constraint unless your instruments are super-deep.

Solidworks is not that expensive for home use.

Join the EAA for $26-40/yr. depending on if you get it on sale. It is the student edition, but a great way to learn, stay current or do personal projects Exactly like this (the student edition is fine for this).

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membe...esource-center

Chris
Old November 11th 18, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 5:05:52 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Best way to handle this issue is to model the panel and components in full 3D.

I have drawn up a lot of my instruments in 3D for my mosquito panel. It would be good if someone hosted a database of 2D and 3D CAD files of all the instruments, panels etc so we didn't need to redraw. I have drawn up the flarm brick, antennae, and several standard instruments that I could share.
Chris

I will post my 3D database (in .STEP format) to DropBox later today. (I can post in native Solidworks too if anyone is interested) I have a model for a Ventus C panel, and an ASW27b panel. For the 27b I designed in a horizontal plate to mount internal instruments like TT22 encoder, flarm, GPS and FLARM antennas, etc.

Matt

P-39 Instrument-Panel - P-39 Instrument-Panel.jpg ... Miloch Aviation Photos 0 June 26th 16 01:47 AM
PIK-20D Instrument panel Solo Soaring 5 February 15th 09 07:50 PM
Instrument Panel ccwillwerth Home Built 7 February 9th 06 03:15 PM
DG-300 instrument panel [email protected] Soaring 14 January 29th 06 03:48 PM
LS 6 b instrument panel John Brenann Soaring 4 November 19th 05 05:37 AM