A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Canopy free soaring

Old November 8th 18, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Canopy free soaring

Dreaming about next summer...

Other than drag, is there any reason to not remove my canopy and go soaring? Experimental airworthiness.
Old November 8th 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

Bugs in your teeth, all that wind will mess up your hair and blow off your sunglasses. On the up side, one less item on the bail out list.
Old November 8th 18, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Turbulence from the draggy open cockpit will definitely have an impact over the wing close to the fuselage, and will also affect the flow over the rudder and elevator. None of this is going to be desirable, and could be dangerous. Enjoy being a test pilot. Also note that these negative factors may be exaggerated at high angles of attack and slow speeds. Like when you are landing. Make sure your affairs are in order.

If it does work out, please let us know.

Old November 8th 18, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Do check the W&B before flight.
Old November 8th 18, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 7:39:59 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

Other than drag, is there any reason to not remove my canopy and go soaring? Experimental airworthiness.

Son - you didn't say what type of glider you intend to fly 'old-school'. There are tons of gliders being flown in Europe w/o their normal canopies but they are typically the older ones, like K6, K8, K13, etc. and they typically have a small wind screen, like this K6CR:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...218324&o=OneUp

Uli
'AS'
Old November 8th 18, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:52:33 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 7:39:59 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

Son - you didn't say what type of glider you intend to fly 'old-school'. There are tons of gliders being flown in Europe w/o their normal canopies but they are typically the older ones, like K6, K8, K13, etc. and they typically have a small wind screen, like this K6CR:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...218324&o=OneUp

Uli
'AS'

..... or like this:
https://www.segelflug.de/osclass/ind...=item&id=28403

Uli
'AS'
Old November 8th 18, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Flub
I say go for it
Don't let those naysayers bum your high
Its just another case of the man trying to keep the brother down.
Get some goggles and pictures.
Plenty of pilots have lost there canopy inflight and reported the plane flew just fine without it.
Old November 8th 18, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 6:39:59 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:

I fly a restored 1967 Schleicher ASK-13 "Cabriolet" sailplane at Marfa, Texas, that has an additional "open" cockpit canopy fabricated from Schleicher Tech Note drawings. Perhaps you have seen photos of this sailplane at "Burton Compton" on Facebook.

On tow at 65 mph there is much wind and noise especially in the rear cockpit. Leather helmets and secured sunglasses or goggles are mandatory. The disturbed flow over the elevator and rudder make flying the tow a bit clumsy but not dangerous. After release and slowing to 50 mph the rudder and elevator responses are good however the disturbed air on the venturi aft of the open cockpit causes erratic indications in the variometer. Averaging out the indications on the vario and flying by listening and letting the sailplane "talk" to me, climbs in thermals to over 11,000' msl during my "Oktoberfest" Vintage and Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa were typical. With the normal enclosed canopy the vario works well and wind chill, even in summer, is eliminated.

At the 2016 International Vintage Sailplane Meet (IVSM) on Harris Hill near Elmira, NY, I flew my ASK-13 with the open cockpit unit installed for several minutes alongside Tony Condon's Cherokee and matched his 23/1 glide ratio. Therefore I took a beautifully restored ASK-13 and purposely degraded its performance just for the fun of open-cockpit flying. I sense no perceivable difference in stalling and landing.

Hollering "Which way to Ireland" (stuttering like Jimmy Stewart as Lindbergh in the movie "The Spirit Of St. Louis") at folks on the ground is amusing.. Slicing a streamer of toilet paper at altitude is easier as you can reach up and grab a bit of it. (Please remember to set a "hard deck" altitude and avoid target fixation.)

Flights with me including all glider rating checkrides and flight reviews are available in my ASK-13 at Marfa, year-round near the Davis Mountains of southwest Texas. Bring a helmet, scarf, goggles and your sense of humor.
Old November 8th 18, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 4:39:59 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:

Why wait until next Summer?
The open cockpit regatta is held every New Year's Day in Tehachapi.
Jim
Old November 8th 18, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 10:55:52 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Flub
I say go for it

Plenty of pilots have lost there canopy inflight and reported the plane flew just fine without it.

I'm motivated to test that bit of woodsy lore. Checklist items: boxer briefs, sunscreen, full face shield motorcycle helmet, and a parachute.