Buffalo Q400 crash

Old May 27th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Buffalo Q400 crash

wrote:
-c

Well, that may be true, but the vultures are already circling and the
manufacturer and airline are going to be sued...

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-1ae3e0730f27&

That would happen if the pilot yelled "God is Great" and then pushed the
nose over.
Old June 26th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
PJ[_4_]

wrote:
On May 12, 1:46 pm, Don wrote:
Just reading the WSJ reports on today's NTSB hearing concerning the
Q400 accident in Buffalo. I am not a pilot -- I know just enough about
flying to be dangerous. But I have a question for you folks who do
have real knowledge of aviation.

The transcript of the cockpit voice recorder says that once the
emergency began and they knew they were in serious trouble, the co-
pilot informed the pilot that she had "put the flaps up", 13 seconds
after the captain had lowered them to 15 degrees for landing. If stall
warnings and stick shakers/pushers are screaming at you that you are
in danger of stalling, isn't raising the flaps one of the worst things
you can do, since it *increases* your stall speed? In other words, if
you are already too slow with the flaps down, then you are *reallY*
too slow with them up. I would think they should have left the flaps
where they were, the nose where the stick pusher had it and just
poured on the power in the hope of gaining altitude before they hit
anything.

Am I right? Or, if not, please explain why.

Thanks --
/Don Allen

Don,

Standard practice is to wait until you have a positive rate of climb
before raising the flaps. Raising the flaps if the airplane was on
the verge of a stall would be a big mistake. Lowering the nose and
applying full power would be the best course of action, and once a
positive rate of climb could be achieved, then the flaps could be
raised.

But they were too low to lower trhe nose and in otrher words were fuc...
Old June 26th 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"PJ" wrote in message
On May 12, 1:46 pm, Don wrote:
[...]

Google 'tail stall icing'
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...meta=&aq=f&oq=

Happy landings,

Old June 26th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

"Private" wrote:

"PJ" wrote:

wrote:

Standard practice is to wait until you have a positive rate of climb
before raising the flaps. Raising the flaps if the airplane was on
the verge of a stall would be a big mistake. Lowering the nose and
applying full power would be the best course of action, and once a
positive rate of climb could be achieved, then the flaps could be
raised.

But they were too low to lower trhe nose and in otrher words were
fuc...

Google 'tail stall icing'
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...meta=&aq=f&oq=

According to the aircraft's manufacturer, the Dash8 isn't subject to
tailplane stalls due to icing. That said, one wonders if the pilot
had that in mind when he pulled up in reaction to the stick shaker.
His previous ride was a Saab, which I understand can stall due to
tailplane icing. Did the ice buildup he saw on the wings set his mind
up to prepare for a tailplane stall?