Private to Sport Pilot

Old February 24th 05, 12:58 AM
Slick

Default Private to Sport Pilot

What are the minimum requirements to transition?

Old February 25th 05, 10:49 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:58:32 -0500, "Slick" wrote:

What are the minimum requirements to transition?

That you never have been denied a medical, is the only one I can think
of. All others have been met or exceeded.

Judging by what others have done, you don't even have to inform the
FAA. It appears to be a self-certifying thing, like what we all do
when we get up in the morning and decide that we are physically and
mentally fit to fly.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old February 25th 05, 05:44 PM

That you never have been denied a medical, is the only one I can think
of. All others have been met or exceeded.

Judging by what others have done, you don't even have to inform the
FAA. It appears to be a self-certifying thing, like what we all do
when we get up in the morning and decide that we are physically and
mentally fit to fly.

This has probably already been asked, but maybe I did not understand, so I
will ask it again...

When I went for my original medical it was deferred to OKC. I was required
to submit a written report from my doctor to get my medical. As such, I
was not able to get my medical on the spot at the FAA Medical Examiner...
Does that mean I was denied?

So... If I were to NOT get another medical after my current medical
expires, could I then just switch to sport pilot and never worry about it
again? Or, since mine was sent to OKC for approval, am I now screwed for
transitioning in the future?

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL
Old February 25th 05, 05:52 PM
George Patterson

When I went for my original medical it was deferred to OKC. I was required
to submit a written report from my doctor to get my medical. As such, I
was not able to get my medical on the spot at the FAA Medical Examiner...
Does that mean I was denied?

No.

So... If I were to NOT get another medical after my current medical
expires, could I then just switch to sport pilot and never worry about it
again? Or, since mine was sent to OKC for approval, am I now screwed for
transitioning in the future?

You can fly as a sport pilot if you never get another medical.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old February 25th 05, 07:03 PM

You can fly as a sport pilot if you never get another medical.

Woo HOO!!! Thanks for the good news.

Old February 25th 05, 08:43 PM
ET

wrote in :

You can fly as a sport pilot if you never get another medical.

Woo HOO!!! Thanks for the good news.

It's not clear to me what your last status is. It appears that you are
saying that you got deferred to OK city then never sent in the required
info. If this is true, then it is very likely the medical was denied
and you're screwed :-(

To find out for SURE what your status is, call your regional AAM-300
office and ask what the "official" status is. Then you will know for
sure. Quite frankly, even if I "knew" my last medical had been denied,
I would call since this IS a bureaucracy, and bureaucracies make
mistakes :-)

The phone numbers of the AAM-300 offices are at:

http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/AAM-300/rfs.html

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old February 26th 05, 09:35 AM
Cub Driver

On 25 Feb 2005 17:44:54 GMT, wrote:

When I went for my original medical it was deferred to OKC. I was required
to submit a written report from my doctor to get my medical. As such, I
was not able to get my medical on the spot at the FAA Medical Examiner...
Does that mean I was denied?

A deferral isn't a denial. In fact, it's one step ahead of a special
issuance, and you can go from special issuance to sport pilot rules.

Old February 25th 05, 05:54 PM
George Patterson

Cub Driver wrote:

That you never have been denied a medical, is the only one I can think
of.

Not exactly. Even if you *have* been denied a medical certificate at some time,
if you passed your last exam, you're good to go sport pilot.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.

Can a Private Pilot tow gliders and get paid? BTIZ Soaring 1 October 17th 04 01:35 AM
Sport Pilot Article in USAs soaring magazine Mark James Boyd Soaring 0 October 9th 04 02:29 AM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Will US Sport Pilot be insurable? Mark James Boyd Soaring 12 November 29th 03 03:57 AM