Thread hijack

Old October 25th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Thread hijack

At least twice in the last month someone has renamed a thread to make
a post about a completely unrelated subject. Of course this causes
the original thread to disappear.

Is it that the hijacker does not know how to start their own new
thread, or is there a bug in one of the tools being used?

Andy
Old October 25th 11, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"Andy" wrote in message
At least twice in the last month someone has renamed a thread to make
a post about a completely unrelated subject. Of course this causes
the original thread to disappear.

Original thread disappear because someone renamed it? Not on my computer!

Vaughn

Old October 25th 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Oct 25, 9:36*am, "vaughn" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

At least twice in the last month someone has renamed a thread to make
a post about a completely unrelated subject. *Of course this causes
the original thread to disappear.

Original thread disappear because someone renamed it? *Not on my computer!

Vaughn

Does not appear in thread list except as the new name. Thus the
original thread has disappeared unless one knows to open the thread
with the new name.

Are you saying that you see both the original named thread, and the
newly named thread, as separate items in the thread list? If so, what
reader are you using?

Andy
Old October 25th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

Default Changing Names On a thread makes it disapper?

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:58:23 -0500, Andy wrote:

On Oct 25, 9:36 am, "vaughn" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

At least twice in the last month someone has renamed a thread to make
a post about a completely unrelated subject. Of course this causes
the original thread to disappear.

Original thread disappear because someone renamed it? Not on my
computer!

Vaughn

Does not appear in thread list except as the new name. Thus the
original thread has disappeared unless one knows to open the thread
with the new name.

Are you saying that you see both the original named thread, and the
newly named thread, as separate items in the thread list? If so, what
reader are you using?

Andy

On my computer, the thread stays put, even if renamed. I'm using the
Opera reader.

--
Stefan Murry
Old October 25th 11, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

On Oct 25, 11:15*am, Andy wrote:
At least twice in the last month someone has renamed a thread to make
a post about a completely unrelated subject. *Of course this causes
the original thread to disappear.

Is it that the hijacker does not know how to start their own new
thread, or is there a bug in one of the tools being used?

Andy

I just noticed this myself on the "Diamant 16.5. - found" topic which
started life as the "IGC Reader for iPhone/iPad Options" topic.

It appears that the "IGC Reader for iPhone/iPad Options" topic has
disappeared and yet all the prior text is still within the "Diamant
16.5. - found" thread.

At least in Google's news reader web site (http://groups.google.com/
group/rec.aviation.soaring) you can search for "IGC Reader for iPhone/
iPad Options" and still find the information. It just no longer shows
up in the list of RAS Topics.

So it didn't disappear so much as it was absorbed. You could
reconstitute the "IGC Reader for iPhone/iPad Options" thread by a copy/
paste all the information into a new thread.

I have alerted the "Diamant 16.5. - found" thread owner that he/she is
doing something wrong when they start a new topic. I don't think
anything nefarious is going on.
Old October 25th 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"S. Murry" wrote in message
news
On my computer, the thread stays put, even if renamed. I'm using the Opera
reader.

Same deal with Outlook Express. It just leaves the renamed thread buried down
inside the original thread.

Vaughn

Old October 25th 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 10/25/2011 10:58 AM, Andy wrote:
On Oct 25, 9:36 am, wrote:
wrote in message

At least twice in the last month someone has renamed a thread to make
a post about a completely unrelated subject. Of course this causes
the original thread to disappear.

Original thread disappear because someone renamed it? Not on my computer!

Vaughn

Does not appear in thread list except as the new name. Thus the
original thread has disappeared unless one knows to open the thread
with the new name.

Are you saying that you see both the original named thread, and the
newly named thread, as separate items in the thread list? If so, what
reader are you using?

Andy

In Mozilla Thunderbird, if viewing with the "Unread" option checked, new
entries appear under their most recent title.

Changing the viewing option to "All" shows a thread's entire history,
including any topical name changes.

As I type, since the thread originally titled "IGC Reader for iPhone/Pad" and
subsequently re-named/forked to "Diamant 16.5 - found" shows 9
consecutive-in-time posts under the original name, then 4 consecutive-in-time
posts under the second. Cliff Hilty's post of 10/24 at 4:36PM is the most
recent post under the original name.

Bob W.
Old October 25th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

On Oct 25, 1:08*pm, "vaughn" wrote:

Same deal with Outlook Express. *It just leaves the renamed thread buried down
inside the original thread.

Vaughn

Google shows the name change, and by whom, in the thread at the point
of the change. Mr. Vaughn changed the name of this thread (using
Outlook Express). I cannot do that using Google.

It would seem like a bad feature to have (confuses the innocent like
in our example above) but this cannot be removed from Network News
feature set at this point even though Google saw fit to remove the
ability from their implementation.

- John
Old October 25th 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default can't do that

On Oct 25, 11:17*am, ContestID67 wrote:
*I cannot do that using Google.

Sure you can - just select "edit subject". As I did to this one using
Google groups.

The question is - why would anyone do that if they wanted to start a
discussion on a completely unrelated topic?

Andy
Old October 26th 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hansen

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:08:08 -0400, "vaughn"
wrote:

"S. Murry" wrote in message
news
On my computer, the thread stays put, even if renamed. I'm using the Opera
reader.

Same deal with Outlook Express. It just leaves the renamed thread buried down
inside the original thread.

I'm using an old (1.21/32 from 1999) version of Free Agent. When the
subject of a follow-up to a message is changed, a separate thread is
created. So the old messages remain under the original thread title,
and the new messages show up under the new title.

But that's only because I have the option checked in the preferences
dialog. Perhaps your newsreaders have a similar option?

-=Dave