How gliders are made question.

Old October 27th 11, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default How gliders are made question.

I just came across this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=I_atJwXxcrU

What really surprised me was that while working with resins none of
the workers have any respiratory protection. What are the resins they
are working with? I hope someone here could elaborate on this. I
remember 20 years ago when I played with epoxy resins they were very
nasty, smelled terribly and they were not safe to use without
respiratory protection. What changed?
Old October 27th 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Oct 26, 6:10*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
I just came across this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=I_atJwXxcrU

What really surprised me was that while working with resins none of
the workers have any respiratory protection. What are the resins they
are working with? I hope someone here could elaborate on this. I
remember 20 years ago when I played with epoxy resins they were very
nasty, smelled terribly and they were not safe to use without
respiratory protection. What changed?

I ben yusing epoxi for long time now making glydurs, I think that thu
stuff is reely safe and I doant think I ben hurt anybit at all.

Just kidding..................I was sensitized to the Shell resin with
the TETA hardener system; it took a few years but when it happened I
couldn't be in the same room when it was being used, with or with out
a respirator. We switched to the Jeffco resin shortly after that, no
problems at all and have been using it for 5 or 6 years now. The crew
I worked with use respirators, but if a door was open I generally
found it tolerable.

And we made a lot of tools and parts.

The "in" thing now is resin infusion, no smell at all!

Brad
Old October 27th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Tribe[_2_]

At 01:10 27 October 2011, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
I just came across this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=I_atJwXxcrU

What really surprised me was that while working with resins none

of
the workers have any respiratory protection. What are the resins

they
are working with? I hope someone here could elaborate on this. I
remember 20 years ago when I played with epoxy resins they

were very
nasty, smelled terribly and they were not safe to use without
respiratory protection. What changed?

It's obviously a case of "Live, eat, poo* and BREATH" gliders.

* You know what I mean!

Old October 27th 11, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

remember 20 years ago when I played with epoxy resins they were very
nasty, smelled terribly and they were not safe to use without
respiratory protection. What changed?

MGS resins contain no aromatic armines. They recommend to wear gloves
since for some it's hypoallergenic, but overall it's pretty inert.
Kinda smells kinda like pretzel ,dough, with a tiny drop of ammonia.
Nice stuff to work with... and was also available 20yrs ago.

-Paul
Old October 27th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

On 10-27-2011 01:10, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
remember 20 years ago when I played with epoxy resins they were very
nasty, smelled terribly and they were not safe to use without
respiratory protection. What changed?

Nobody worries about health anymore. After all, we have Obamacare to
take care of us!

Personally, I plan to stick with protection BEFORE it becomes a problem

Old October 27th 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:57:58 -0500, Scott
wrote:

On 10-27-2011 01:10, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Personally, I plan to stick with protection BEFORE it becomes a problem

That is very Libertarian of you. The powers that be will not be happy
with your refusal to surrender control of your health completely to the
Government. I hope you are not using your real name, Scott (or whoever
you are )
--
Stefan Murry
Old October 27th 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

On 10-27-2011 19:32, S. Murry wrote:

That is very Libertarian of you. The powers that be will not be happy
with your refusal to surrender control of your health completely to the
Government. I hope you are not using your real name, Scott (or whoever
you are )

Nope. I'm hiding out in one of my underground shelters. No glider to
work on, but I plan to be doing some fiberglass work on my certified
single engine experimental over the winter, so I'll keep checking the
microwave intrusion detectors for the Feds while I'm working away.